Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 31-07-2015, 09:52   #1081
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
What is everyone running as an A/V on W10?

I've found nod32 to be a bit of a lag recently. Looking at AV-Comparatives..

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-co..._201505_en.pdf

Avira looks the best bet with Avast for outright performance.
Been using Avast for months on Windows 10 without issue.
Old 31-07-2015, 10:27   #1082
TAZMANUK
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt Package, V6, 1 gig bb, WiFi max 2 pods, maxit TV, anytime chatter
TAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TAZMANUK

Found a bug, if you own windows 8.1 with media centre, then you may incur the issues I had as in windows 10 downloads, then does prepare installation, then error saying check PC followed by no further windows updates.

Reason is the media center only way I got it to install was the migration tool from Microsoft and choose upgrade to clean.

Or you could uninstall media center if that's possible.
TAZMANUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 11:05   #1083
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by videodj View Post
I didn't have these issues, I upgraded my laptop first, then created the ISO/USB. When I did a clean install I skipped adding a product key and once I got into windows, I logged back into my MS account and Windows activated on it's own. My research suggests that once you've upgrade MS remembers the PC, so if you reinstall it activates on it's own.
I wish that was the experience I had with it as it would have been so much easier and both machines would, have been up and running a long time ago but as it is, my experience with upgrading was fine as it upgraded with no problems it was when I wanted to do a clean install that I ran in to issues.

As it is I am slowly working out the ways of doing things, now I just need to figure out how to get Numlock to be on when the pc boots, as for some reason it isn't and I cannot find a option for it in the bios on both machines, but it worked fine on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1
Old 31-07-2015, 13:41   #1084
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I switched to free bitdefender from free avast, and free avira as the missus and I got fed up with annoying nag windows/pop up adverts for their other services etc.

all worked in win 10 fine though.
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 14:03   #1085
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I have been using Panda free 2015 for some months and hopefully it will be OK with Windows 10.

If anyone else uses it with W10 I would be interested in hearing how they have gone on.
Old 31-07-2015, 15:33   #1086
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I am using, and have been using, the F Secure service through Virgin Media. Picks up 99.9% of bugs/viruses and what isn't picked up by that Malwarebytes does. Certainly thinking about doing the £25 for a year when the free trial ends in September.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 17:16   #1087
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I'm glad you are all having so much fun

I'm not in any hurry to upgrade my Windows 7, and I have a full year to do it in anyway.

I think i'll wait a month or two, then image one of my machines and give it a try, if all else fails I can just restore the image.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 17:27   #1088
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I've been waiting for Win 10 for a while because I technically don't have a legal copy of Windows running on my laptop. But since I only use it once a month or two I'm not in a desperate rush either.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 19:06   #1089
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold

notice that the little windows 10 upgrade box on the bottom taskbar has reappeared again after disappearing for a couple of days.
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 20:22   #1090
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

laptop has upgraded fine, just running ccleaner to delete my old windows install according to ccleaner it cleaning 23gb of data hmmmmm. my desktop is running windows 10 from the insiders program so I am just leaving that as it set up just the way I need it for my media needs.
Old 31-07-2015, 21:16   #1091
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

looks like people on windows insider build got a free licence to RTM build.
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 21:36   #1092
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

well so far i have this to say.

A big + is that Windows 10 seems to always allow me to remove safely external media once ive finished with it where as windows 8.1 would claim it was still in use until a reboot.

A - though is Cortana. I think shes giving me the silent treatment its like being married again. I say Hey Cortana! and it responds but when i ask a question nothing happens.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 23:05   #1093
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
looks like people on windows insider build got a free licence to RTM build.
Where did you get that from as we have been told if we stay in the program we have Windows 10 but if we leave it we still have to upgrade from Windows 7/8.1?

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
well so far i have this to say.

A big + is that Windows 10 seems to always allow me to remove safely external media once ive finished with it where as windows 8.1 would claim it was still in use until a reboot.

A - though is Cortana. I think shes giving me the silent treatment its like being married again. I say Hey Cortana! and it responds but when i ask a question nothing happens.
Are you pressing the microphone button before you speak?

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

There is something you guys may want to change in your update settings!

The settings are set to download updates but also share them on your local network and Internet as default!!! ..... i smell a class action lawsuit coming!

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-...medium=twitter
Old 01-08-2015, 02:02   #1094
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

My bad
yeah Windows 10 insider preview have to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 to get a license then they can clean install.
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:06   #1095
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Some talk on the net about the Windows 10 privacy agreement.

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to."

I think you can opt out, but most of the privacy settings are set to opt in by default.

So I've heard, anyone checked this out yet?

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote