Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Flights between Glasgow & Stansted help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Flights between Glasgow & Stansted help

Old 27-09-2017, 20:03   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Flights between Glasgow & Stansted help

Thanks to Ryanair, its cancelled all flights between Stansted and Glasgow/Edinburgh. until March

Now my niece's girlfriend lives in Glasgow and was planning to fly down for the new year and my nieces birthday.

Now being a good uncle, I want to help.

Does anyone here know of cheap options for her to get down here.

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

The GF is stuborn and won't let me pay.

Last edited by Hom3r; 27-09-2017 at 19:52.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2017, 20:37   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Flights between Glasgow & Stansted help

Easyjet do the Glasgow- Stanstead route, double the cost of Ryanair..

Or you could try KLM via Istanbul and Amsterdam for £3549 and 26 hours of travelling!

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#se...ansted+glasgow
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 20:44   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I did browse some sites, but hoping someone else here has been in the same boat and knows of another option.
Old 27-09-2017, 20:45   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Ever thought of google?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 20:58   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

I got the sites via google, hence the request for any help, from someone who has been in this boat.

Trains are a no no, as if they where running they would be far too expensive (£150ish).

Coaches involve a 8 hour plus journey time and its awkard to get to the stations either end.
Old 27-09-2017, 22:23   #6
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

It's coach or find someone else driving that day: https://www.blablacar.co.uk (I wouldn't do the latter because you might end up with some WEIRDO)

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Easyjet has the 29th December to 2nd Jan at £75
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 00:15   #7
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

You should not write off the train option unless they definitely are not running.

If the basic ticket price you mention is £150 your niece's friend could get an 18-25 or student railcard and be at least £20 better off to start with.

That is before you use a a split ticketing site where the savings will usually be much more.
Old 28-09-2017, 18:10   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Advance booked train fares with reserved seats can be quite cheap, use a route planning service as these can offer some quite unconventional changes or longish waits at change stations to get a cheap rate. Also plan the journey as two separate trips rather than a return ticket. It all helps.

This one worked for me but there are others.

When I was without a car I got down to Cornwall and back for under £100. If I'd been prepared to freeze my butt off at Westbury for 5 hours I could have halved it.
Old 29-09-2017, 10:01   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Buses are really cheap usually.

Trains can be if booked early enough.
Old 29-09-2017, 11:17   #10
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

It's a pity that the sleeper service, Megabus Gold, ended this Spring.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 11:48   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I have a mega bus overnight bookrd with mega bus from Glasgow to London for net week.
Old 29-09-2017, 14:18   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If you can pick when you travel, go by train. There are some very cheap seats to be had if you avoid the most popular days and times.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:00   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I had a quick look at BA and they do cheap flights for less than £150 to London airports, not Stansted though, but i can see there will be plenty of options at that price to fly.
Old 01-10-2017, 15:40   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

https://www.skyscanner.net/ is always a good starting point to look.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 16:33   #15
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I would book the train 1st class nearer the time when cheap singles come out
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote