Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Hub 3 - weird ethernet issue!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New Hub 3 - weird ethernet issue!

Old 23-07-2017, 21:55   #1
cfnoip
Inactive

cfnoip is an unknown quantity at this point
New Hub 3 - weird ethernet issue!

Good evening all.

Over the past couple of months I've been experiencing sporadic internet loss in Leeds area 22 on my Superhub 2AC over ethernet. It started off with drops of 30 seconds to a couple of mins then would come back up but this last couple of weeks I had internet loss on a couple of occasions for over an hour. I went through the usual script with Bangalore and was assured that my connection would now be fine because "we have changed the channel for you" (I may as well have been talking to the wall when trying to explain to the hapless soul that the loss is happening over ethernet but I just didn't have the energy). Predictably, it made no difference and so an "engineer" was summoned and duly arrived last week armed with a new Hub 3.

The problem seemed to be fixed initially - internet working as you would expect, but then I noticed I was having DNS errors trying to connect to my most used websites. Mashing 'refresh' usually fixes it but often it will take several refreshes. I'm also having problems playing video content like youtube. I can see the white 'buffering' progress bar keeping about 30 seconds ahead of the time point I'm watching in the video but then suddenly it will stop and won't buffer any further so I get the spinning circle and nothing else happens until I refresh the page. I never had these issues with the 2AC.

Speed tests show me to be getting my prescribed 70Mbps (actually 75Mbps) over ethernet.

What I'm finding odd though is that I have a netbook connected wirelessly which runs a live audio stream 24/7 but the connection is not dropping there. I know this because the elapsed time in VLC player stops when there's been a drop at my end. It is worth noting that there is a buffer on the live stream so it could be that the drops are so short that it's still within the buffer zone. However, I have played the same youtube video on both machines and it plays fine all the way through on the wirelessly connected netbook and is buffering 2-3 mins in advance, but on my ethernet connected PC it is only buffering a max 30 seconds in advance and will always stop buffering at some point within the first 5 mins of the video and then require a refresh for it to continue working.

I have disconnected the ethernet cable and have connected wirelessly and now it will play all the way through without stopping, albeit still only buffering the video a maximum of 30 seconds in advance.

What is causing this strange issue and what do I need to do to fix it? These strange buffering and DNS issues that I'm only getting over ethernet were never a problem on my old 2AC.

For reference both machines are running W8.1 and latest Chrome browser.

Thanks.
cfnoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-07-2017, 22:07   #2
AciidSn3ak3r
Inactive

AciidSn3ak3r is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Hub 3 - weird ethernet issue!

Have you tried another wired PC/device?
Tried another port on the router?

Also, could your DNS issues be due to Advanced Network Error search? - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/3455147

I assume you've tried another browser too?
AciidSn3ak3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 22:21   #3
cfnoip
Inactive

cfnoip is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AciidSn3ak3r View Post
Have you tried another wired PC/device?
Tried another port on the router?

Also, could your DNS issues be due to Advanced Network Error search? - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/3455147

I assume you've tried another browser too?
I've hooked up my laptop with the same ethernet cable and the issue persists. Changing the port makes no difference and neither does changing the browser. If I disconnect the cable and connect wirelessly it plays fine.

The DNS error page has been the standard Chrome one, not the ANES one so I don't think it's that.
cfnoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 14:37   #4
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Tried a new Ethernet cable?
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote