Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | U.S Election 2016

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

U.S Election 2016
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 23:13   #661
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: US Election 2016

Doesn't matter now anyway, they've cancelled the press conference.

---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Yeah could be slander if it goes * up? That would be a good reason for Clinton to stay away from it.
I think they would be less worried about slander (the campaign would be clever enough to avoid that) but you don't make accusations you can't somewhat back.
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2016, 10:30   #662
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think you're right. Good journalism is crucial to democracy and I think one of the things that is currently undermining it is both people's distrust of the media causing them to seek even more partisan reporting and the fact that an absolute truth doesn't seem to exist anymore. When nothing is true anymore and the answer to any story, any evidence, is that 'well, that's one side of it' then we'll never agree on anything. How can we agree when there is no common ground?

This suits some people's agenda though and you've nailed it when you say it causes disquiet and paralysis: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/29/wo...formation.html

I only disagree with you on the last line:

I am not sure what the alternative is and I think any clamp down will be exactly the reaction the enemies of the West, and there are enemies of the West, want. Look at how much of a PR coup for Russia Natwest closing their accounts was. RT/Sputnik are constantly on the lookout for examples of Western hypocrisy to justify Russia's lack of a free press.

We are in dangerous times though and I do worry.
There is no answer to this. Thanks largely to the internet and social media large numbers of people are being presented with all sorts of convincingly distorted 'facts' (even doctored images/videos) which they choose to believe for one reason or another. Rather than question the sources or seek alternative views/reasoning before deciding, it's easier for them to accept what's presented, especially if it confirms what they already believe or is simply what they want to hear. Isn't this why so many students simply do a Google search for information and then base their work on what comes up at the top of the list. Google's effectively doing their thinking! In the past we relied upon the likes of the BBC and mainly well established and credible (albeit biased) newspapers to present information but now people are exposed to information from all over the world and increasingly form their opinions from that, often without question. There's so much information around, it's getting increasingly difficult to tell what's real anymore. The consequence of a digital existence isn't just losing ourselves in entertainment, it's increasingly blurring the boundaries of reality in all other aspects of our lives particularly for those who've known nothing different in their short lives. Check your email inbox every day for evidence of that - seemingly genuine messages from what appear to be major, trusted, institutions which are not only fake but are designed to do you harm. Now we have seemingly genuine news providers making it up to suit their warped agenda and very convincingly so.

The genie is out of the bottle, there is no answer to this and not so slowly but surely we're heading in a dangerous direction which will leave us all open to influence, exploitation and control by all sorts of dubious interests from all around the globe. What's real nowadays depends on who/what we choose to believe...

Anyway, on a lighter note, I notice Obama's not above the old project fear trick - this time it's only the 'fate of the world' which is at stake thankfully...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37854525

Quote:
President Barack Obama has urged Democrats of all ethnic backgrounds to get out and vote for Hillary Clinton, warning that the fate of the US republic - and the world - is at stake.
I wonder if it'll do for the Democrats what it did for the Remainers?...

Last edited by Osem; 03-11-2016 at 10:34.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:34   #663
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

"... nothing is true any more ..." - do you believe that statement to be true?

Sorry - return to normal service.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:55   #664
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Looks odds on to me Trumps going to win this. Very tempted to put something on at the bookies (Hillary Clinton: 2/5, Donald Trump: 15/8). Many Democrat voters aren't going to turn out which will be her downfall. The country really deserves him anyway.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:54   #665
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I just hope HC wins. I have checked cnn and us papers. If there is a trump win. All hell will break loose in thr US.
Trump is a billionaire and thinks of only himself and helping the rich. Just like the Tories over here. According to cnn, HC is leading and that Trump is dependant on swing states to win.

CNN have said that it will be tight at the finish but Clinton is hot favourite. Depenfing on swing states dont change there vote.

As l also understand the 'rape' victim is now known and has recieved death threats from Trump supporters
Old 04-11-2016, 12:17   #666
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I just hope HC wins. I have checked cnn and us papers. If there is a trump win. All hell will break loose in thr US.
Trump is a billionaire and thinks of only himself and helping the rich. Just like the Tories over here. According to cnn, HC is leading and that Trump is dependant on swing states to win.

CNN have said that it will be tight at the finish but Clinton is hot favourite. Depenfing on swing states dont change there vote.

As l also understand the 'rape' victim is now known and has recieved death threats from Trump supporters
No it won't. You need to stop adding fantasy scenario's in.

Yeah, just like the Tories... Because that's not an old boring cliche now.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 04-11-2016 at 12:24.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:25   #667
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Trump seems to be closing in to Clinton in latest polls.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/5361/c...james-barrett#
Old 04-11-2016, 12:33   #668
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Trump seems to be closing in to Clinton in latest polls.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/5361/c...james-barrett#
It's an average of the polls. The momentum has stalled somewhat though. The RCP average has been a 2pts for many days now. Clinton is doing better in Florida too.

I think the die is cast now anyway. Early voting is really underway. Nevada is over 50%. Clinton's 'firewall' is still holding and if she takes either Florida or North Carolina she will likely win. Trump needs to take something like Pennsylvania whilst also taking Florida or North Carolina.

So unless there is a big news story it's a wait and see approach.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:43   #669
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Never say never. It ain't over til the fat lady sings.

I don't like either of them but it's not my country.
Old 04-11-2016, 13:56   #670
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Never say never. It ain't over til the fat lady sings.

I don't like either of them but it's not my country.
I am not saying saying never.

Clinton is going into the election at the moment as the favorite but with a real chance of losing. At the moment she is in a better position to get to 270 states but if Trump wins Pennsylvania then Clinton is in real trouble. Likewise if she wins either NC or Florida then Trump needs something big or he is finished.

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

The early vote is so high in Florida we might know early if Clinton wins or has to wait: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-bu...s-here/2301397
Old 04-11-2016, 15:05   #671
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Let's say for one moment she does win, she will be entering the White House as the first Woman President. I wish I could be really excited for her but her dire reputation has severely damaged all possibly of me being even remotely excited. But that is not all, because of her real tarnished reputation, there is real chance of massive civil unrest (I accept this could also be true for Trump) and I would not blame US citizens taking to the streets, not accepting the result because she is currently under a big FBI Investigation (AGAIN), I would not accept the result either and would more than likely, if I was a US citizen, join in with the unrest and protest (peaceful of course).
Old 04-11-2016, 15:19   #672
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Let's say for one moment she does win, she will be entering the White House as the first Woman President. I wish I could be really excited for her but her dire reputation has severely damaged all possibly of me being even remotely excited. But that is not all, because of her real tarnished reputation, there is real chance of massive civil unrest (I accept this could also be true for Trump) and I would not blame US citizens taking to the streets, not accepting the result because she is currently under a big FBI Investigation (AGAIN), I would not accept the result either and would more than likely, if I was a US citizen, join in with the unrest and protest (peaceful of course).
I mean it's a democracy. She still becomes President even if people don't want to accept it. Protesting her administration and working to a Republican elected in 2020 would be different to not accepting the result which would presumably mean you don't accept her claim to the Presidency and think Trump should be installed instead.
Old 04-11-2016, 16:03   #673
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I mean it's a democracy. She still becomes President even if people don't want to accept it. Protesting her administration and working to a Republican elected in 2020 would be different to not accepting the result which would presumably mean you don't accept her claim to the Presidency and think Trump should be installed instead.
Well if she is indicted, she will be removed from Office of President anyway, who then becomes President? Kaine, her vice President.

It's questionable democracy Damien, with reports of voter fraud, over a million dead people registered to vote and people crossing State lines to vote again. The voting system in America is laughable, it really is. Maybe when Trump says the system is rigged, it appears to really be the case.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ines/92892042/

http://yournewswire.com/two-million-...s-voter-fraud/
Old 04-11-2016, 16:13   #674
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Well if she is indicted, she will be removed from Office of President anyway, who then becomes President? Kaine, her vice President.

It's questionable democracy Damien, with reports of voter fraud, over a million dead people registered to vote and people crossing State lines to vote again. The voting system in America is laughable, it really is. Maybe when Trump says the system is rigged, it appears to really be the case.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ines/92892042/

http://yournewswire.com/two-million-...s-voter-fraud/
will it still be rigged if Trump wins ? i heard him in the news the other day enjoying his rise in popularity according to recent polls ,the same polls he said where rigged when they put Clinton 6 points in front

Old 04-11-2016, 16:20   #675
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
will it still be rigged if Trump wins ? i heard him in the news the other day enjoying his rise in popularity according to recent polls ,the same polls he said where rigged when they put Clinton 6 points in front
At the end of the day they are only polls and not the main official poll that matters and as we know Polls can and have been wrong.
Closed Thread