Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 16-12-2016, 14:12   #2416
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Doesnt exactly come through a tuner. VOD allocated a few frequencies, can't remember how many exactly. The return path is needed to send the request to the VOD server, then a session is opened on the selected program then gets sent to the STB via the allocated VOD frequencies. In effect it's still an internet connection just to a walled garden
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-12-2016, 14:31   #2417
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme.owen View Post
Has anyone tried connecting to none virgin broadband and seeing if the on demand works?
Unfortunately there's no way knowing without trying it. Even if it did work for someone else that doesn't necessarily mean it would for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme.owen View Post
We have technical issues in our area, and virgin can only provide TV and not broadband or phone service.
I'm curious. I wasn't aware that there were any areas like that any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
Doesnt exactly come through a tuner. VOD allocated a few frequencies, can't remember how many exactly. The return path is needed to send the request to the VOD server, then a session is opened on the selected program then gets sent to the STB via the allocated VOD frequencies. In effect it's still an internet connection just to a walled garden
No, it really does come through a tuner. Try using VOD when you've got 3 recordings in progress (or 6 on a V6) and see what happens
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 15:34   #2418
graeme.owen
Inactive

graeme.owen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Unfortunately there's no way knowing without trying it. Even if it did work for someone else that doesn't necessarily mean it would for you.

No, it really does come through a tuner. Try using VOD when you've got 3 recordings in progress (or 6 on a V6) and see what happens
Apparently there is damage which would require the road being dug up - we live on a red route in central London and I was advised a few years back that the cost was too great to virgin vs the number of impacted users
graeme.owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 16:20   #2419
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

Fair enough, I was speaking about more the transmission side of it rather then the CPE side, don't have any dealings with TV nowadays, so a bit out of touch with it!
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 20:41   #2420
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Well tried some downloads all restricted and a 390mb download takes 27 mins, I ran a download via BBC iPlayer of 650 MB took 3 mins

https://youtu.be/dDHcPBWVeLs
That's ridiculously slow , to download an hour show (recording) from box to Android phone it takes me around 2 mins and around 4 mins for a 90 min movie.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 00:06   #2421
PtolemyIV
cf.member

PtolemyIV is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe you do need to have the v6s connected to virgin media broadband for it it to work. I understand from the helpful technicians they currently have supporting that the v6 does check for this - in fact, it consequently wont even work behind a vpn.

Finally I now got my setup working - (1) I had to phone up and get the technician to reset some settings and force a re-install (resetting on my end did nothing alone) and (2) I had to login and authenticate netflix using the hub in router mode - only then could I switch back to modem mode, and set up my own router with its own dns settings and simply set up a policy routing so that the ip addresses of my 2 v6 boxes dont go through the vpn.

This seems to all be working for now...

In case of interest I also got told what the tech specs of the boxes are (am sure this is public) but in case not - 1.6ghz dual core processor, 1gb SSD (i was surprised too but apparently only £25 wholesale in their volumes), 3gb ddr ram, gigabit ethernet and AC/B/G/N. The previous tivo was 800mhz single core, sata drives, 1gb ram and 10mb cable modem.
PtolemyIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 00:15   #2422
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

No way does it have a SSD, I can hear it
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 00:57   #2423
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtolemyIV View Post
I believe you do need to have the v6s connected to virgin media broadband for it it to work. I understand from the helpful technicians they currently have supporting that the v6 does check for this - in fact, it consequently wont even work behind a vpn.
I misinterpreted your original question and didn't realise that you were tunnelling all internet traffic over VPN. Mine is simply a site to site connecting two networks together.

From what you say it indicates that the V6 services are only available on Virgin Media's internal network and not available to the wider internet.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 01:09   #2424
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtolemyIV View Post
[snip]
In case of interest I also got told what the tech specs of the boxes are (am sure this is public) but in case not - 1.6ghz dual core processor, 1gb SSD (i was surprised too but apparently only £25 wholesale in their volumes), 3gb ddr ram, gigabit ethernet and AC/B/G/N.
That's 1 Tb SSd surely? You can't buy an SSD that small.

I'll be surprised they can get it that cheap, cheapest a quick search throws up is this one @ £255

That implies VM are getting a 90% discount
Old 17-12-2016, 08:02   #2425
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
That's 1 Tb SSd surely? You can't buy an SSD that small.

I'll be surprised they can get it that cheap, cheapest a quick search throws up is this one @ £255

That implies VM are getting a 90% discount
Its not a SSD
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 13:06   #2426
PtolemyIV
cf.member

PtolemyIV is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I do mean 1TB drive of course.

Re. SSD or SATA, I totally agree with you and £25 a drive does seem impossible whoever you are... so you are most likely right but the guy was oddly adamant despite my repeated probing whilst I waited for the box to reboot! To the extent I was asking how to safely turn off the box and he was like 'oh, just pull the switch - its ssd so doesnt matter'
PtolemyIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 14:20   #2427
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

I think it's really unfair that users still on 152Mb waiting on the 200Mb free upgrade will not get the promotion price for the V6 box.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 15:09   #2428
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be the case.
Old 17-12-2016, 15:32   #2429
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be the case.
One of the staff for Virgin said it was on the community forums.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 17:18   #2430
JohnWB
Inactive

Services: Two V6 boxes, 200meg BB
JohnWB is an unknown quantity at this point

I am getting a V6 box next month to replace one of my Tivos. If I want to get a second V6 box later to replace my other Tivo, does anyone know what that would cost.

I seem to remember that its only the £64 installation fee or am I wrong.
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote