Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | EPG wrong after Manchester bombing.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

EPG wrong after Manchester bombing.

Old 23-05-2017, 20:06   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
EPG wrong after Manchester bombing.

Following the bomb attack in Manchester last night, some broadcasters have changed their schedule (including BBC1 cancelling the new drama 'Broken' until next week as it's set in a Northern city).

At the time of writing, the EPG has not been updated (on the V6 anyway).

The main changes are here should anyone else wish to amend their Planned Recordings screen and/or set manual recordings:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-...er-bomb-attack
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-05-2017, 14:41   #2
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one
Re: EPG wrong after Manchester bombing.

No action required other than delete Planet Earth2. V6 has recognised Broken next week as a new episode 1.
Old 25-05-2017, 16:13   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
No action required other than delete Planet Earth2. V6 has recognised Broken next week as a new episode 1.
That's good to know.

Some changes are still happening in the light of the attack eg a programme on BBC4 last night about a historical bombing was replaced by a nature programme.
Old 26-05-2017, 19:49   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

The fallout from the attack continues as the broadcasters continue to pull programmes that they feel to be inappropriate.

This morning the BBC pulled a programme about the effects of the Omagh bombing on a father and daughter.

TV critic Kevin O'Sullivan made some interesting points this morning. He thinks that the response of the broadcasters has been "market led", but that in some other areas of life he doesn't know why Tom Cruise has cancelled the premiere of 'The Mummy' due to him feeling that it's ""inappropriate", nor why Chelsea FC have called of their victory parade this coming Sunday.

He went on to say that the day after the attack Monty Don continued with the Chelsea Flower Show (after making a statement to send condolences to the victims families) to show that they would not let the terrorists win and that life would carry on despite their atrocities.

Finally, he made the point that in the seventies it was back to normal the day after bomb attacks in Ireland.

I agree that we should not let them win, I myself flew shortly after the 9/11 attacks.

I guess what makes this different is that children were specifically targeted (although of course children have also been victims of more generalised terrorist attacks).
Old 26-05-2017, 21:30   #5
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The fallout from the attack continues as the broadcasters continue to pull programmes that they feel to be inappropriate.

This morning the BBC pulled a programme about the effects of the Omagh bombing on a father and daughter.

TV critic Kevin O'Sullivan made some interesting points this morning. He thinks that the response of the broadcasters has been "market led", but that in some other areas of life he doesn't know why Tom Cruise has cancelled the premiere of 'The Mummy' due to him feeling that it's ""inappropriate", nor why Chelsea FC have called of their victory parade this coming Sunday.

He went on to say that the day after the attack Monty Don continued with the Chelsea Flower Show (after making a statement to send condolences to the victims families) to show that they would not let the terrorists win and that life would carry on despite their atrocities.

Finally, he made the point that in the seventies it was back to normal the day after bomb attacks in Ireland.

I agree that we should not let them win, I myself flew shortly after the 9/11 attacks.

I guess what makes this different is that children were specifically targeted (although of course children have also been victims of more generalised terrorist attacks).
Yes, appalling though this was, I do think the broadcasters need to get a sense of proportion.

The BBC News At Ten has handled this very sensitively and I applaud them for that. But to cancel or re-schedule programmes because we viewers would be too traumatised to watch them is a step too far.

We should not be treated as too emotionally immature to take it - if anyone feels to upset to watch a particular programme after an event like this, they can turn off, turn the channel or record it for later.

I thought the mantra was that we won't let these 'losers' change our way of life. Isn't that exactly what they are doing?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 19:36   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

There's been more disruption to the schedules after the incidents in London. Some I can understand, but to take off a programme at 1am this morning because it was about a historical bridge (not even London Bridge) is spurious to say the least.
Old 07-06-2017, 15:17   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I forgot to mention that, whilst they cancelled​ a historical programme about a bridge, the BBC were happy to show a programme about Australian medical crews rescuing people who have had accidents!

If I had been personally affected by the terrorist attacks and were the sort of person to be affected by things shown on television afterwards, I know which programme I'd find more upsetting. In addition, I think that those who have had loved ones killed or maimed by these atrocities will be very unlikely to be watching (or even concerned about) what's being shown on television- their minds will be on other more important matters.

Sadly, these types of incidents don't look to be going away anytime soon. On the one hand the mantra is that we will carry on as normal and not let the terrorists win, yet we are highlighting the incidents and giving them publicity for weeks afterwards by doing things like disrupting the TV schedule and televising benefit concerts.

As a result of all this publicity, retail spending is down as people are afraid to go out and spend, which benefits nobody.

As these incidents are now happening with such regularity, perhaps the only time that they should be referred to is on the news, otherwise we are playing right into the hands of these terrorists?? Is there even a case for news blackouts to deprive them of the oxygen of publicity?? The problem with this is that I'm sure the news reports helped to evacuate the affected parts of London last weekend.

It's a difficult balancing act between carrying on as normal, whilst letting those who have been personally affected know that people care and that they have their support.
Old 07-06-2017, 23:58   #8
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

News is far more important than some TV show.

I would never get on my high horse or moan if a program was changed or cancelled due to an event that happens. I would much rather be kept up to date and made aware of an emergency situation.

So who cares if the TV guide is changed at a moments notice and programs taken off air. Its really not something to moan about when peoples lives are concerned.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:28   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I would never get on my high horse or moan if a program was changed or cancelled due to an event that happens. I would much rather be kept up to date and made aware of an emergency situation.
.. and we have lots of news channels to cater for that.

I find it rather dumb that programmes are taken off because they "might upset someone". TVs have two great features - channel change buttons, and off buttons.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:29   #10
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Its always been done though and its not always about offending someone but being respectful to those that may have been affected.

I know I wouldn't want to watch a program/show/movie with a similar theme to an event that recently happened if a friend or family member was injured or lost their live(s) during it. I can remember years ago, after one of the IRA bombings the BBC dropped an episode of Bugs as it centered around a bomb being planted. I remember being annoyed that they didn't air it at the time. However had I been the age I am now, I would understand and not be bothered.

Yes there are news channels but most people don't watch them round the clock. So if something massive, like a terrorist attack happens, then I think it is appropriate to interrupt normal programs.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:01   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I know I wouldn't want to watch a program/show/movie with a similar theme to an event that recently happened if a friend or family member was injured or lost their live(s) during it.
Like I said, you have off buttons and channel change, no one forces you to watch anything.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:04   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I agree. And although it is acceptable to interrupt programmes with a ,news flash', I think the TV audience should then be advised that full coverage is available on the news channel.

I really don't see the point of simulcasting the news event the way they do, upsetting the people who want to see their normal programmes.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 15:55   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
News is far more important than some TV show.

So who cares if the TV guide is changed at a moments notice and programs taken off air. Its really not something to moan about when peoples lives are concerned.
I'm not talking about the breaking news of an attack interrupting programming, I don't suppose that a news blackout would work anyway now that we have the internet and smart phones.

Quote:
Its always been done though and its not always about offending someone but being respectful to those that may have been affected.

I know I wouldn't want to watch a program/show/movie with a similar theme to an event that recently happened if a friend or family member was injured or lost their live(s) during it. I can remember years ago, after one of the IRA bombings the BBC dropped an episode of Bugs as it centered around a bomb being planted. I remember being annoyed that they didn't air it at the time. However had I been the age I am now, I would understand and not be bothered.

Yes there are news channels but most people don't watch them round the clock. So if something massive, like a terrorist attack happens, then I think it is appropriate to interrupt normal programs.
I agree that there should be a newsflash and that some programmes wouldn't be appropriate, but to cancel a historical programme about a bridge and then show a factual programme about injured people being rescued by the emergency services seems bizarre to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree. And although it is acceptable to interrupt programmes with a ,news flash', I think the TV audience should then be advised that full coverage is available on the news channel.

I really don't see the point of simulcasting the news event the way they do, upsetting the people who want to see their normal programmes.
What they've done at times is to regularly and briefly show captions on the main channels when important news is breaking. Something along the lines of 'Terrorist incident at place X, please turn to the BBC News channel for more information' would suffice.