Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | having problems setting up belkin wireless g router.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Linksys BEFSR41 DC++ problem

Old 08-11-2006, 08:52   #1
saycheese
Inactive

Services: 4MB
saycheese is on a distinguished roadsaycheese is on a distinguished road
Linksys BEFSR41 DC++ problem

Hi,ive got a problem with a Linksys Etherfast BEFSR41 V4 wired Router (with latest firmware).I have an Xbox 360 and another PC running ok but when i try to use DC++ it gives me a Windows system error "There is an Ip address conflict with another system on the network"ive tried the UPnP method which passed all the tests on UPnP utility but gave me the Windows system error after DC++ worked for a short time. When this error occurs the Ip address on the xbox 360 changes to the same one as the 1st PC so that's obviously why im getting the error.Ive heard that i need a static Ip address if i want to use the port forwarding method but i need some advice on how to do it please and would it make a difference? or is there a setting in the router config that could help resolve this problem?.DC++ used to work perfectly before i got the router and i'm on NTL 4MB using a 250 cable modem with both XP Home SP2 PC'S on a Network with printer and filesharing enabled.I'm also using Zone Alarm firewall and Norton Antivirus 2003 Professional. Cheers,Mark.
saycheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2006, 12:47   #2
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter
Re: Linksys BEFSR41 DC++ problem

To set your PC to use a static IP address, do the following:

Open the Windows Control Panel (normally just Start->Control Panel)

Double click on Network Connections

You should see "Local Area Connection" with a little icon with 2 blue computers which will occasionally flash, if not always stay on

Right click on that connection and select Properties

In the General tab, underneath where it shows the model of network adapter you have, it will say "This connection uses the following items" and there will be a list of items

Click on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and then click on Properties just underneath it to the right

In the General tab, select the second radio button, it should be labelled "Use the following IP address:"

The next 3 boxes will now be ungreyed and will let you enter values.

For the IP address, just enter 192.168.1.150 as this shouldn't already be in use on your network

For the Subnet mask, this is normally 255.255.255.0

Default gateway needs to be the IP address of your router. This is normally 192.168.1.1 but you can check by opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig

You will also noticed that it has forced you to enter DNS server addresses. Just put your router's IP address in the first box and leave the second one blank and click OK and OK again.

You will temporarily be disconnected while the network adapter reconnects with your new settings, and after a couple of seconds it should reconnect and you'll have your new static LAN IP. You can check this again by right clicking on the network connection and going to Status, and then the Details tab, or just by typing ipconfig in the command prompt again.

With your port forwards you can now just enter your static LAN IP (which you will have set as 192.168.1.150 if you followed the above guide) and the ports you wish to forward without any issues.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 20:54   #3
saycheese
Inactive

Services: 4MB
saycheese is on a distinguished roadsaycheese is on a distinguished road
Re: Linksys BEFSR41 DC++ problem

Thanks for the help with setting up the static Ip, it's cured the Windows system error but unfortunatley it hasn't solved the problem of getting DC++ to work.
saycheese is offline   Reply With Quote