Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nightmare

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Cable Issues

Old 01-05-2011, 21:33   #1
brewerjohn
Inactive

brewerjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cable Issues

Hi to all.

First post. I am due for an Install soon and have a question about Virgin cables. I have Sky at the moment with additional boxes anf Sky + hd. Does Virgin use twin cable like Sky or just single cable to each box and modem. Can splitters be used at any location or do the cables need to be all run back to the main (brown) external box and split there.
I will be having 3 boxes and internet connection. My main box will be V+ hd.

Kind regards
brewerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2011, 23:28   #2
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Cable Issues

All my kit is run in single coax from the splitter(brown box) to the kit an terminated on F Type connectors. Same for Modem and V+.

Hope this helps.
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 00:25   #3
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

You can get away with 2, 2 way splitters on a line, more than that can cause issues with upstream. Depends on your area really
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:07   #4
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Cable used internally is RG6 tri-shield coaxial with snap on F connectors, external cable is RG6 Siamese with a 2 core telco pair or RG11 if the drop length is too far from the distribution point in the street.

The number of splitters on the line will be determined by the cable route and length internally. The tech can discuss this with you on the day, although 2-3 splitters aren't uncommon on one drop.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:08   #5
brewerjohn
Inactive

ok guys thanks for all the info. The reason I ask is that I have some existing cables in-situ from my comcast/ntl days before I whent over to sky. Back in them days there was no sky+ or HD so my concern was that like sky you need two cables to a sky+ box so as to watch and record at the same time. Just wondered if virgin adapted the same method but appears not so which is good for me. The main incoming cable from the green box is a bigger cable as I had signaling problems albeit we ar not far from the green box. One cable straight through the wall to main tv and two cables to (1) modem (2) second tv. I am told things have improved somewhat with virgin (lets hope so) My intentions are to run cables which I have had dropped off from virgin into my loft and then down to the two add tv/boxes. This would require a 3 way spilter downstairs at the brown external box (1) main tv (2) modem (3) one add box. upstairs at modem a two way splitter modem/ second tv. sounds complicated but not really, just want to get everything right for the big day!
Many thanks to all.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:51   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

You can get an unbalanced 3 way splitter but they are hard to find. I have one in my house. One port looses 2.9db but the other two loose 7db. So if you put the 2 way splitter on the 2.9 port that means that all your points have the same value.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:39   #7
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerjohn View Post
ok guys thanks for all the info. The reason I ask is that I have some existing cables in-situ from my comcast/ntl days before I whent over to sky. Back in them days there was no sky+ or HD so my concern was that like sky you need two cables to a sky+ box so as to watch and record at the same time. Just wondered if virgin adapted the same method but appears not so which is good for me. The main incoming cable from the green box is a bigger cable as I had signaling problems albeit we ar not far from the green box. One cable straight through the wall to main tv and two cables to (1) modem (2) second tv. I am told things have improved somewhat with virgin (lets hope so) My intentions are to run cables which I have had dropped off from virgin into my loft and then down to the two add tv/boxes. This would require a 3 way spilter downstairs at the brown external box (1) main tv (2) modem (3) one add box. upstairs at modem a two way splitter modem/ second tv. sounds complicated but not really, just want to get everything right for the big day!
Many thanks to all.
Your setup sounds fine, let us know how the big day goes!

Old 02-05-2011, 20:47   #8
brewerjohn
Inactive

Thanks again for the help/advice. Do the rg6 cables terminate on internal wall mounted boes with fly type cable to the virgin box or do the cables go straight into the rear of the boxes? The older comcast/ntl were terminated in wall oulets with short lenghs to the boxes. I will let you know how rhe big day goes, fingers crossed!!
Old 02-05-2011, 23:19   #9
weesteev
Cable Guru

It depends on what you need, wall sockets are normally used to house an isolator so not always required. Splitters can be fixed to the wall and anything above a 2 port splitter is too big for the housing anyway.

Old 03-05-2011, 17:27   #10
brewerjohn
Inactive

Thanks guys, lets see what happens on the big day!
Old 14-05-2011, 16:14   #11
brewerjohn
Inactive

Hi Guys,

Big day and I can't complain. Well impressed, engineer arrived just after 9 and because i had run all the cables just connected everything up. Great picture and 30 meg to the hub. My only dissapointement is with the new samsung v+ box. They have done away with the red/white audio outputs. I used these on my Sky box to hook up to a small amp that I used with my headphones! a big upset as I like to listen to mtv/hd etc. I am now looking into a way arround this. I note the new boxes have a (spif) optical audio terminal and Maplins do some splitters with audio connections to spif connections. Anybody any ideas on this?
Thanks again
Old 14-05-2011, 16:40   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...993167&index=1

Scart to phono adaptor in the VCR scart socket will do the trick

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...993167&index=1
Old 14-05-2011, 19:16   #13
brewerjohn
Inactive

Many thanks jb I have just ordered one off Ebay.