Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media are Liars

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Caller Display "No Longer Available" after port

Old 27-08-2009, 18:03   #1
sparky621
cf.addict

Services: VM B'band "M 200" TV "Full House" Tel: "Talk More Anytime"
sparky621 is on a distinguished roadsparky621 is on a distinguished road
Angry Caller Display "No Longer Available" after port

On 28th July I had a VM phone line installed with the intention of swapping from BT, however, the sales dep't did not bother requesting the port so I was given a temporary VM number. Whilst on that number I added Caller Display which I have been billed for up to 25th Aug and which has been working perfectly up until yesterday when the BT number was finally ported accross. Now caller display doesn't work and after 1 1/2 hours on the phone I have been told I can't have it in my area even though I had already had it on the temporary number

At no point was I informed that the caller display feature would suddenly become unavailable in the area. In fact I was told by the original sales team that I could have all the features that I had on my BT line. I need caller display to screen out unwanted calls. I now wish I had stayed with BT

By the way the area on my bill is 20

Please HELP!!!!!
sparky621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2009, 18:06   #2
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: Caller Display "No Longer Available" after port

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky621 View Post
On 28th July I had a VM phone line installed with the intention of swapping from BT, however, the sales dep't did not bother requesting the port so I was given a temporary VM number. Whilst on that number I added Caller Display which I have been billed for up to 25th Aug and which has been working perfectly up until yesterday when the BT number was finally ported accross. Now caller display doesn't work and after 1 1/2 hours on the phone I have been told I can't have it in my area even though I had already had it on the temporary number

At no point was I informed that the caller display feature would suddenly become unavailable in the area. In fact I was told by the original sales team that I could have all the features that I had on my BT line. I need caller display to screen out unwanted calls. I now wish I had stayed with BT

By the way the area on my bill is 20

Please HELP!!!!!
Sounds like random BS - shouldn;t be a problem - give CS a call they will be able to sort it out for you..
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 18:17   #3
sparky621
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Sounds like random BS - shouldn;t be a problem - give CS a call they will be able to sort it out for you..
Tried CS, don't think thay understand English!!!
Tried to baffle me with tech jargon until I told them I have a degree in Electronic Engineering. They just insist it cannot be done because the exchange has been upgraded! UPGRADED Over Night

All that they've done is taken my temporary VM number and replaced it with my old BT number for goodness sake
Old 27-08-2009, 18:39   #4
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky621 View Post
Tried CS, don't think thay understand English!!!
Tried to baffle me with tech jargon until I told them I have a degree in Electronic Engineering. They just insist it cannot be done because the exchange has been upgraded! UPGRADED Over Night

All that they've done is taken my temporary VM number and replaced it with my old BT number for goodness sake
I think we need a VM Tech to confirm?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 10:13   #5
Mr_Moo
Inactive

Mr_Moo is on a distinguished roadMr_Moo is on a distinguished road

Sparky, PM me the number in question. If you need confirmation who I am, I can send you an email from my work address.

I'll take a look for you.
Mr_Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 14:48   #6
papasmurf
Inactive

papasmurf is on a distinguished roadpapasmurf is on a distinguished road

It never ceases to amaze me the helpfulness of the VM staff who frequent this forum. Keep up the good work lads and lasses
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 15:03   #7
FairyFairy
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
It never ceases to amaze me the helpfulness of the VM staff who frequent this forum. Keep up the good work lads and lasses
Hear hear
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 22:07   #8
Sooty Baxter
Inactive

Sooty Baxter is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in area ref: 020 too and despite being told we could have caller display, just as we used to have with BT, it never has worked on the Virgin line and after lots of calls to CS, including a couple of lucky ones to an English call centre, we have established that it isn't available on this exchange. In retrospect we would have thought twice before switching. We are mostly happy with the TV (particularly the i-player) and Internet service - so it's 'swings and roundabouts'.
Sooty Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 09:17   #9
sparky621
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooty Baxter View Post
We are in area ref: 020 too and despite being told we could have caller display, just as we used to have with BT, it never has worked on the Virgin line and after lots of calls to CS, including a couple of lucky ones to an English call centre, we have established that it isn't available on this exchange. In retrospect we would have thought twice before switching. We are mostly happy with the TV (particularly the i-player) and Internet service - so it's 'swings and roundabouts'.
Strange thing is I haven't changed area and the line is physically the same just the number changed. I had caller display one day and not the next.

I would also like to second the thanks given to the VM staff on this forum. They go above and beyond which is more than can be said about some of their (off shore) co-workers! Thanks
Old 31-08-2009, 15:35   #10
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

did you get this sorted?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:20   #11
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Hiya. I am also in area ref. 20 (blue), had my number ported from BT and have been told the same by the Indian experts, that Caller Display is not available to me. It is interesting that the OP has had Caller Display working in area 20 (all be it for only a short while).

I would love Caller Display, especially as I used to text a lot with BT and I could get back to spending that money with Virgin if they gave me Caller Display.

Has there been any progress with this one? It's the only real downer with Virgin compared to my previous BT phone/Virgin.net ADSL combo.

Can you help a new cable customer, Virgin Media gurus? ~
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 18:40   #12
Mr_Moo
Inactive

Mr_Moo is on a distinguished roadMr_Moo is on a distinguished road

Sparky, drop me an email tomorrow on my work address (if you still have it) and I shall chase this.
Mr_Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 16:42   #13
sparky621
cf.addict

Hi all,sorry about going quiet for a while,pesky thing called work!
Unfortunately I still don't have caller display and just to rub salt in the wounds I've just received my final BT bill. Ahh BT, who offer caller display to EVERYONE for FREE.
Of course caller display doesn't grab headlines like 50Meg broadband does it.

Andycalling, I hope you were tongue-in-cheek giving the Indian call centre automatons the title "expert".The only thing they are expert in is lying and giving out total BS.You come off the phone and may as well have been

MrMoo, I'll email you asap, thats when I'm on the PC the email is now sitting on!
Thanks all,
Sparky
Old 04-09-2009, 21:37   #14
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Yes, that has been my experience too (I had an install issue made far worse by the Indian experts, the comment from the Virgin engineer was that it was someone who didn't want to do their job).

Now don't get me wrong, I know many people with an Indian background and work with them too. They are as varied in attitude as anyone else (except for a tendancy in some towards anti-Bangladeshi nonsense which I have no time for) and I have no particular racial issue here or anywhere else.

I do think that Virgin need to review their recruiting and training policy on their Indian site though. They seem to be picking up some right dregs there and no mistake.

I will say that whenever I've talked to someone on the UK site they have been excellent, as have the engineers. Perhaps the Indian site need to be visited by a few of the UK Virgin chaps to get some training done. Particularly in the HR department as they can't recruit at the Indian site for toffee.

I like this Virgin cable internet. That is why I have a Virgin phone. In general the phone is OK, except for the lack of Caller ID (possibly?) and the call charges which are a bit greedy. I think Virgin would attract far more custom from BT and even Sly if their phone lines could compete. As it is, it is only the Internet and TV freaks who will put up with the phone to get the rest. Even then, many of the TV freaks will be considering Sly.

FYI, I don't have Virgin TV (Freeview does me fine, no time for any more than that), I have 20meg internet (at a full and fast rate, no slowness) and the weekends style phone package.

I'm on the Eastleigh digital network (not the Southampton analogue network) in area 20 Blue. The hardware must be quite new because 50meg internet is available if I wanted it.

Any chance of this Caller Display being available do you think, Sparky? Moo?
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 21:23   #15
nutellajunkie
Inactive

nutellajunkie will become famous soon enoughnutellajunkie will become famous soon enoughnutellajunkie will become famous soon enough

amazes me how they do charge for a plip of information to be sent to your phone with someone's digits.
nutellajunkie is offline   Reply With Quote