Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 8 Days [PS3]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PS3 Connections & questions

Old 24-02-2008, 19:11   #1
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age
PS3 Connections & questions

i'm thinking of investing in a ps3 to accompany my 360 , i currently have my 360 connected to a monitor through vga and would want to connect ps3 through dvi , will i have any issues and will the picture be 'scaled' properly due to the monitor being 16/10 not 16/9 ratio . Also , is there an optical out so i can plug into surround sound amp. what games would a ps3 newbie be best off buying , no driving games , thanks in advance as always
Old 24-02-2008, 19:30   #2
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads
Re: PS3 Connections & questions

Couldn't comment on the picture.

It does have an optical output so you can connect an amp.

As for games. I would recommend Heavenly Sword, Call Of Duty 4, Devil May Cry 4, Assassins Creed, Resistance Fall of Man (Wee bit old, but good) and Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. Also GTA IV which is due for release in April. OK it's kind of a driving game, but a whole lot better.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 21:03   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

You could get an HDMI>DVI lead to connect the PS3 to the monitor, but...

...If your monitor is not HDCP compliant, then you're stuffed.

Dunno about the ratio.

Games...

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (3rd person action/adventure, kind of like Tomb Raider but with lots of combat. Excellent game, best out on the PS3 at the moment IMO).

Heavenly Sword (gorgeous hack & slash).

COD4 (awesome FPS, if you don't already have it on the 360).

Devil May Cry 4 (another great hack & slash type game)

Ninja Gaiden Sigma (tarted-up next-gen. port of the excellent "Ninja Gaiden" from the original Xbox)

Resistance: Fall of Man (pretty good FPS, not as good as say Halo 3 or COD4, but I still enjoyed it).
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 21:54   #4
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Couldn't comment on the picture.

It does have an optical output so you can connect an amp.

As for games. I would recommend Heavenly Sword, Call Of Duty 4, Devil May Cry 4, Assassins Creed, Resistance Fall of Man (Wee bit old, but good) and Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. Also GTA IV which is due for release in April. OK it's kind of a driving game, but a whole lot better.
Agree on all those games, save Assasins Creed. It's looks live up to the hype, but the gameplay is....uhmm.....er....repetitive, but if you love scaling tall buildings, and jumping from roof-to-roof...Assisins Creed is stunning.

My fav though is Uncharted, Drakes Fortune. The graphics are jaw dropping.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 17:04   #5
Bulky
Inactive

was thinking resistance and drakes fortune (have played a bit of the latter) played most of the others on 360 .I have heard that the online play is not as good as xbox live but how good is it?.
Old 25-02-2008, 17:23   #6
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads

The online play for a PS3 can be ok, but it has a lot to do before it could ever be considered as good as Xbox Live, if at all.

The PSN (Playstation Network) has improved since Sony introduced online play with PS2, which was poor. However, RR7 (Ridge Racer 7), Motorstorm and R:FoM are all good to play online and I can't wait for GT5 (final) to be released as the online play is meant to be awesome. Will be buying prologue though, just to wet my appetite. Yes I know they are driving games, but people to their own.

FIFA 08's online play improved, but lacked something special imo.

The PSN has a lot to offer and I think is getting better all the time, with software updates regularly released. I can't wait for Playstation Home to be released, which is going to be a bit like Xbox Live. Was due for release last year, but it has been delayed on numerous occasions as I assume Sony want to get it just right.

In summary the PSN has a lot to offer and is good with the right game, but noweher near as good as Xbox Live, but the potential is there.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 13:44   #7
Bulky
Inactive

Just found out my wife has bought me one for my birthday , ut3 and resistance , just need to get a hdmi to dvi cable and will be in business , anyone else played ut3 on ps3 , is it decent online .
Old 02-03-2008, 15:11   #8
Bulky
Inactive

Have set up ps3 using a hdmi to dvi cable monitor is hdcp compliant, picture is clear and sound is great via optical out to my amp , initial impressions are good , can't believe how quiet the thing is . No doubt x-box live is the daddy of the two online systems but still very enjoyable on psn , have been playing ut3 and really enjoyed it , just need to get a headset , anyone reccomend a cheap usb one (don't want bluetooth)
Old 02-03-2008, 23:32   #9
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Good stuff

Any reason you don't want a Bluetooth headset?

Also, make sure you get Uncharted!
Old 02-03-2008, 23:54   #10
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkylad View Post
Have set up ps3 using a hdmi to dvi cable monitor is hdcp compliant, picture is clear and sound is great via optical out to my amp , initial impressions are good , can't believe how quiet the thing is . No doubt x-box live is the daddy of the two online systems but still very enjoyable on psn , have been playing ut3 and really enjoyed it , just need to get a headset , anyone reccomend a cheap usb one (don't want bluetooth)
If they update the US version to be compatable with the Uk version i might be up for a game if your interested.

Also Resistence and Uncharted both great games, Unchated espcially.
Warhawk is pretty fun although not much to look at graphically.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:22   #11
Bulky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Good stuff

Any reason you don't want a Bluetooth headset?

Also, make sure you get Uncharted!
heard they can intefere with the controller signal ? , also much cheaper for a usb one. do a lot of people use headsets seeing as they are not 'standard' as on the 360?

---------- Post added at 07:22 ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
If they update the US version to be compatable with the Uk version i might be up for a game if your interested.

Also Resistence and Uncharted both great games, Unchated espcially.
Warhawk is pretty fun although not much to look at graphically.
sounds good , didn't realise they had split the territories (uk and usa) , will defintaley be getting unchartered when i can raise some cash
Old 03-03-2008, 17:39   #12
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
heard they can intefere with the controller signal ? , also much cheaper for a usb one. do a lot of people use headsets seeing as they are not 'standard' as on the 360?

---------- Post added at 07:22 ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 ----------

sounds good , didn't realise they had split the territories (uk and usa) , will defintaley be getting unchartered when i can raise some cash
I don't think they split them as such it's just the UK version came out later and is at a different build version than the US version... I imported mine off ebay so its the US version. There was talk of a patch to bring them into line so hopefully I will be able to play UK users soon
Old 03-03-2008, 21:06   #13
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Well, even with the 360 having a headset as standard, plenty of people still don't seem to bother, at least on some games.

On most games of COD4 I play on the 360, maybe half the people don't actually have their headset plugged in (& the other half are the usual loud-mouthed types from you-know-where).

I bought this Sony-Ericsson Bluetooth headset from Play.com:

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4...k/Product.html

£13.49 with free delivery.

Haven't heard anything about interference, besides, the PS3 is designed to use Bluetooth for controllers & headsets.
Old 03-03-2008, 21:21   #14
Bulky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Well, even with the 360 having a headset as standard, plenty of people still don't seem to bother, at least on some games.

On most games of COD4 I play on the 360, maybe half the people don't actually have their headset plugged in (& the other half are the usual loud-mouthed types from you-know-where).

I bought this Sony-Ericsson Bluetooth headset from Play.com:

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4...k/Product.html

£13.49 with free delivery.

Haven't heard anything about interference, besides, the PS3 is designed to use Bluetooth for controllers & headsets.
didn't realize they were so cheap , thx for that , will be buying one asap
Old 03-03-2008, 22:40   #15
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
didn't realize they were so cheap , thx for that , will be buying one asap
I've seen them as low as £7 if your not bothered about the brand

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?sear...&go.x=0&go.y=0