Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | how to pull a bird (girl)?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Olympus OM10 question

Old 01-05-2009, 14:36   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Olympus OM10 question

I just found my old 35mm camera in a drawer and decided to see if it was still working. I knew there was no film in it but decided to wind on and take a shot to see if the mechanism was still working. As I depressed the shutter release I heard the usual clunk but then nothing. It appears the shutter has opened but not closed and I can't seem to get it to do so.

I don't know much about cameras but am wondering if the 2 button cells accessed on the bottom of the camera body could have anyhting to do with this or whether the shutter operation is purely mechanical and there's some other problem. Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers as usual.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2009, 14:47   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Olympus OM10 question

The mirror on that model is apparently designed to lock if the shutter is activated with flat batteries.

You might be able to free it/reset the mechanism by installing new batteries and then cycling the on/off and check/timer mechanisms.

Failing that I've found a poster on the Internet who (without sufficient detail to bother copying the post here or linking to it) describes removing the base plate of the camera and manually manipulating the shutter release slightly (which is on the right at the base of the camera) which caused the mirror/shutter mechanisms to free and complete their cycle.

If that succeeds you may need to have the camera serviced to prevent it re-sticking, if it doesn't then you might need to get it professionally fixed anyway - normally this will require a small current to be run across the terminals on the inside to stimulate the shutter/mirror mechanism to reset.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 15:47   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Cheers Rob!
Old 01-05-2009, 17:05   #4
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

I'm not sure it would be worth getting it serviced. Last time I looked OM10's were going for £5-£10 on e-bay, you could get more money just by selling the manual adaptor. I have two OM10 bodies here along with a selection of lenses etc, they haven't seen the light of day for ten years now. When I think of how much I paid for them...
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:42   #5
Osem
Inactive

Thanks guys. Going to try new batteries first. The old ones are ancient A76 types (mercury?) and I'm wondering if suitable if any alternatives are available? Any thoughts gratefully received.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:15   #6
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Before he went digital I have, in the past, nicked my husband's hearing aid batteries for my old OM10.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:44   #7
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Thanks for the reminder. I just tried out my old OM10 and realised there's a half-used film in there. It's going to be fascinating to get that processed as I have no idea how old it is or what's in the pictures.

The batteries in mine say SG13 if that's any help.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 14:28   #8
Osem
Inactive

Cheers all

Will report back when I get the batteries.