Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Really rubbish connection. India says everything's ok

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Really rubbish connection. India says everything's ok

Old 22-04-2012, 18:18   #1
easyt
Inactive

Services: 60mb BB L Tv XL landline 3x virgin mobiles 18
easyt is an unknown quantity at this point
Really rubbish connection. India says everything's ok

hi guys can anyone help
on 30 meg bb in middle of upgrade to 60 meg
today i couldnt watch football online as it kept stalling ran a few speed test and results ranged from 0.5meg to 45.0 meg download
and 0.1 meg to 3.1 meg upload

last few speed tests have been normal at 31.1 meg down and 2.odd upload
but earlier results today and inability to watch anything online made me phone support, india call center wanted me to allow her remote access to my computer i said no wat, so she had me go into super hub and turn off firewall and flood protection...............result is still the same my levels are

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 59 55616000 Kbits/sec 307000000 Hz 6.8 dBmV 41.6 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 57 55616000 Kbits/sec 291000000 Hz 7.6 dBmV 42.5 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 58 55616000 Kbits/sec 299000000 Hz 7.7 dBmV 42.3 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 60 55616000 Kbits/sec 315000000 Hz 6.5 dBmV 41.8 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown
Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 34 20480 Kbits/sec 27400000 Hz 41.3 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

does this look ok? and any ideas why im dropping to 0.5 meg? and getting bursts of 45.0 meg?
easyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2012, 18:49   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: realy rubbish connection.india says everything is ok

your upstream power is borderline, i think +6 is th max for VM spec but I think the shub can stand up to +8 without a problem. It is one of those "if it aint broken dont fix it" scenarios and the fact that you have already confirmed that you can get max speed shows that it isnt causing youa problem.

The problem you have got dude is network congestion because the network (especially in your area) is massively over subscribed. Weekends as a whole can be diabolical in certain areas and it is compounded by the fact that everyone else wants to get onto youtube, bbc iplayer and whatever else which just makes it worse.

I can guarantee that if you run some speed tests and try to watch stuff online tomorrow morning you wont have a problem. Unfortunately there is no quick cure for it atm. VM are going round the country adding extra capacity for the speed upgrades but once everyone's speed has been doubled you'll just be back to square one again. Doubling your speed to 60mbit isnt going to help you when the speed isnt there to start off with.

If it is an ongoing issue and you watch stuff online regularly I suggest you move over to BT Infinity who are pretty much perfect atm.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 20:41   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Really rubbish connection. India says everything's ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyt View Post
india call center wanted me to allow her remote access to my computer i said no wat
They use the corporate version of Logmein, they ask you to go to either www.virginmedia.com/remote or google 123rescue which takes you to the same page and everything is videoed by the system in case of any complaint, you have control at all time and can stop their access instantly if you think they are trying to access anything untoward.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 20:44   #4
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I would be offended if they wanted remote access for a low speed complaint, they would basically be calling me a lier saying they want to check themselves what I am telling them.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 21:00   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I would be offended if they wanted remote access for a low speed complaint, they would basically be calling me a lier saying they want to check themselves what I am telling them.
Not everyone is experienced enough with computers and getting beyond a browser can be scary for them let alone anywhere else on a computer, they see places they never knew existed such as the control panel.

Remote support is in place for a reason and the above is the reason, it shortens many potentially long calls and is a great asset and tool for all agents.
Old 22-04-2012, 21:25   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Not everyone is experienced enough with computers and getting beyond a browser can be scary for them let alone anywhere else on a computer, they see places they never knew existed such as the control panel.

Remote support is in place for a reason and the above is the reason, it shortens many potentially long calls and is a great asset and tool for all agents.
yeah well the thing I am worried about is that they are going to be whacking some keys for the sake of it. India is bad enough as it is, letting them start doing remote support just baffles me. How long do you think it will be before they bring the internet down

Seriously though, I cant believe they have had enough training or experience to understand pc hardware, windows configurations and settings and network stuff to accurately diagnose and resolve a fault. For that kind of job I would want an MCDST and there is no way you are telling me VM have got all the call centre staff microsoft certified.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 21:26   #7
easyt
Inactive

peter it was the rescue 123
thanks for putting my mind at rest
heard too many stories of the india call centres(not vm just in general) selling on bank account details and even transfaring funds etc
Old 22-04-2012, 21:29   #8
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
your describing offshore tech support there
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 21:30   #9
easyt
Inactive

one of my first dealings with vm india call centre they asked me for my full adress to order me a new modem, the woman asked me where england was and that is a true story
Old 22-04-2012, 21:50   #10
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

wow.
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 22:42   #11
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Ring back and demand to speak to manager in a UK call centre and tell them you refuse to deal with India. They will put you through to UK. Once there you should be through to the awesome ( Glasgow ) call centre. When there ask them to check the SNR on the NETWORK ( not your modem ). It should be over 20, if it is anything less ( in my case mine was 11.5, which denoted a serious issue ) then they HAVE to fix it. The lower the SNR, the quicker they will fix it.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 23:07   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Ring back and demand to speak to manager in a UK call centre and tell them you refuse to deal with India.
All that will happen is that you will get the next person in the queue be that a UK agent or an offshore agent, the best bet is always as soon after 8am as possible.

They removed the direct line when they closed the Albert Dock call centre.
Old 22-04-2012, 23:07   #13
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
So many customers claim to be experts, its a way for the agents to be sure and not waste peoples time.
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 23:34   #14
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
They use the corporate version of Logmein, they ask you to go to either www.virginmedia.com/remote or google 123rescue which takes you to the same page and everything is videoed by the system in case of any complaint, you have control at all time and can stop their access instantly if you think they are trying to access anything untoward.
India is the last place I would allow anyone to take over my computer. They earn tuppence and others have been known to sell bank account information.

I would not want to run that risk even if you record stuff and I find out 24 hours later that I've been raided. Then what? VM come up with the missing dosh straight away? Likely or not it's a known risk.

I'd trust a UK agent though.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 23:38   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
India is the last place I would allow anyone to take over my computer. They earn tuppence and others have been known to sell bank account information.

I would not want to run that risk even if you record stuff and I find out 24 hours later that I've been raided. Then what? VM come up with the missing dosh straight away? Likely or not it's a known risk.

I'd trust a UK agent though.
You have control and can see everything they do as they do it with no delay and when they are speaking to a person with no computer skills it brings the call time down dramatically.