Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freesat from Sky and hacking the STB?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

Freesat from Sky and hacking the STB?
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 15:57   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Freesat from Sky and hacking the STB?

Well, I finally did it. I cancelled my Sky subscription last month, and my STB now functions as a Freesat-from-Sky receiver.

My first impression is that the channel line up is adequate - especially for us, we're trying to lessen the amount of telly we watch - but it is nevertheless substantially lacking compared to the terrestrial Freeview offering.

There is no e4 or More 4 (I know there are contractual reasons for this, hopefully C4 will be able to resolve these early next year). There is no UKTV History. There is no Virgin 1, which is slightly puzzling as it's a new channel and is on Freeview (I wonder whether they have simply inherited a Sky encryption deal from a predecessor channel though).

I would watch UKTV History if it were available and Mrs T quite likes the channel 4 variants. Virgin 1 can go hang itself based on its current line up - I won't miss it.

When the BBC and ITV finally get round to launching their official, trademarked Freesat service I will look very carefully to see what channels are on it. The only problem is that I may have to buy a new STB - unless anyone knows if it's possible to re-programme my Sky Digibox with new EPG software?
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2007, 16:20   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Freesat from Sky and hacking the STB?

The software will more than likely be stored on Flash ROM so with the right kit you should be able to change the software
Old 09-10-2007, 16:39   #3
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
The software will more than likely be stored on Flash ROM so with the right kit you should be able to change the software
PROVIDED the software is for the right receiver. In any case, pukka Freesat receivers will be cheap as chips when they appear.

Meantime, you should be able to manually set up the Sky box to receive other channels that are broadcast from the same cluster of satellites but, for one reason or another, haven't ended up in the EPG.

Check out this site to see if there are any extra channels that you want to get hold of (all those with a buff background are unencrypted):
http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

If there are, then make a note of the details and thern investigate the setup menu of your STB.

Note that you won't be able to get all the information that is available in the Sky EPG but you may well be able to display the 'now' and 'next' information like a pukka FTA receiver.

If that's too limiting then you may want to get a second LNB so you can receive Hotbird too:
http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html

Or go the whole hog and get a motor and receive thousands of channels - all free:
http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html
http://www.lyngsat.com/atlantic.html
Old 09-10-2007, 20:36   #4
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
PROVIDED the software is for the right receiver. In any case, pukka Freesat receivers will be cheap as chips when they appear.

Meantime, you should be able to manually set up the Sky box to receive other channels that are broadcast from the same cluster of satellites but, for one reason or another, haven't ended up in the EPG.

Check out this site to see if there are any extra channels that you want to get hold of (all those with a buff background are unencrypted):
http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

If there are, then make a note of the details and thern investigate the setup menu of your STB.

Note that you won't be able to get all the information that is available in the Sky EPG but you may well be able to display the 'now' and 'next' information like a pukka FTA receiver.

If that's too limiting then you may want to get a second LNB so you can receive Hotbird too:
http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html

Or go the whole hog and get a motor and receive thousands of channels - all free:
http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html
http://www.lyngsat.com/atlantic.html
A sky box is crippled by its software. It will only do 27.5 and 22MSymbol rates. Its also setup to look at a default frequency on bootup and gathers the information on what channels are available on which frequency on Skys EPG by gathering the NIT, BAT and SDT channels.

Have a look at Wizard satellite for boxes which aren't locked to particular providers.

Old 24-05-2008, 22:47   #5
annamarialive
Inactive

annamarialive is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Chris, I know you wrote this post in 2007, but I just wanted to say, e4 is now available for free on sky, I have 2 sky boxes, and I cancelled the subscription on the one in my bedroom and I can receive E4 Which is channel 136 on sky.
Old 25-05-2008, 00:40   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamarialive View Post
Hello Chris, I know you wrote this post in 2007, but I just wanted to say, e4 is now available for free on sky, I have 2 sky boxes, and I cancelled the subscription on the one in my bedroom and I can receive E4 Which is channel 136 on sky.
Yes - and ironically this is due to the launch of Freesat, which is causing the channels that want to be on it to consider moving to FTA broadcast. Much as Sky would like to continue to keep these channels encrypted so you need one of their cards in order to view them.

I will be buying a Freesat integrated TV in time for Christmas this year, James Murdoch can go stuff himself. I don't want his products in my home any more.
Old 25-05-2008, 02:53   #7
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Well, I finally did it. I cancelled my Sky subscription last month, and my STB now functions as a Freesat-from-Sky receiver.

My first impression is that the channel line up is adequate - especially for us, we're trying to lessen the amount of telly we watch - but it is nevertheless substantially lacking compared to the terrestrial Freeview offering.

There is no e4 or More 4 (I know there are contractual reasons for this, hopefully C4 will be able to resolve these early next year). There is no UKTV History. There is no Virgin 1, which is slightly puzzling as it's a new channel and is on Freeview (I wonder whether they have simply inherited a Sky encryption deal from a predecessor channel though).

I would watch UKTV History if it were available and Mrs T quite likes the channel 4 variants. Virgin 1 can go hang itself based on its current line up - I won't miss it.

When the BBC and ITV finally get round to launching their official, trademarked Freesat service I will look very carefully to see what channels are on it. The only problem is that I may have to buy a new STB - unless anyone knows if it's possible to re-programme my Sky Digibox with new EPG software?
i dont see what your getting at ? the channels that you are on about are FTA on Freeview however they never have been on satellite or cable (other then E4 on analogue cable). now what i dont understand is why do you want to change the EPG ? freesat & Sky FTA use the same satellites so you wont get anything extra. also you cant reprogram your Sky receiver as no 'hacks' as you put it have ever been published, thats not to say that they dont exist. Sky have lawyers that would come down on anyone heavily that did, the same as they would if anyone publicly hacked Videoguard. so in short unless you 'hack' & write a new EPG yourself you wont get one.

---------- Post added at 01:53 ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post

other then a few tests & news, in store & health club radio stations there are only five other channels that aint in the EPG (other then regional versions of ITV1, Channel 4 & Channel 4 +1): OH TV, Shorts TV, Retail Info & irish versions of Bubble Hits & Sky News.
Old 25-05-2008, 11:16   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
i dont see what your getting at ? the channels that you are on about are FTA on Freeview however they never have been on satellite or cable (other then E4 on analogue cable). now what i dont understand is why do you want to change the EPG ? freesat & Sky FTA use the same satellites so you wont get anything extra. also you cant reprogram your Sky receiver as no 'hacks' as you put it have ever been published, thats not to say that they dont exist. Sky have lawyers that would come down on anyone heavily that did, the same as they would if anyone publicly hacked Videoguard. so in short unless you 'hack' & write a new EPG yourself you wont get one.
If you reply to a post that's 7 months old without making any allowances for discussion we've had since, you're bound to to get confused. Although I suspect getting confused is something that comes easily to you.
Old 25-05-2008, 15:00   #9
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

? what is the point of you digging at me ?
Old 30-04-2010, 18:00   #10
cnangah
Inactive

cnangah is an unknown quantity at this point
help me use my 1001 sky plus boxes and make money

Hello guys! Its a great forum .......well somehow I have access to loads of sky plus boxes with the 80 gig memory..I been wondering how to make some money with them and asking around...I recently had a proposition (basically if I could adapt the sky boxes to be used my a small cable company in Africa I would be able to sell them all) could any one tell me how to go about doing this and if at all it is possible to do. Regards and thanks for all the very useful info.
Old 30-04-2010, 18:25   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

This is not the forum to ask for details of how to modify any Set Top Boxes since we will only support legitimately subscribed services.

Since this is a rather old thread it is now closed.
Closed Thread