Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price of PPV films.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Price of PPV films.

Old 20-10-2017, 19:12   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Price of PPV films.

I've not even looked at PPV films for years, but after seeing a review of the new Daniel Radcliffe film 'Jungle' (out today), I thought i'd see if it was on the VM VOD service.

I was to gobsmacked to find that it's £6.99!

I'm not sure how this compares to Sky & other online services, but I'm not prepared to pay seven quid to watch something at home, even if it is in HD and brand new.

I've set up a Wishlist and will watch it on a linear channel- i'm not that bothered for seeing it straight upon release.

Maybe it's not VM's fault and it's the greed of the film companies?? They may even find that a more realistic price would attract more customers and they'd make more profit.

How do others feel about these prices? I've often thought that Netflix etc could raise revenue by offering one off purchases, (like the adult services do on VM) for those not wishing to subscribe on an ongoing basis.

Do prices tend to go down as the film ages?

At £7, if they have it, it would better value to subscribe to Sky Movies for a month!

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 20-10-2017 at 19:21.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-10-2017, 19:23   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Price of PPV films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I've not even looked at PPV films for years, but after seeing a review of the new Daniel Radcliffe film 'Jungle' (out today), I thought i'd see if it was on the VM VOD service.

I'm not sure how this compares to Sky & other online services, but I'm not prepared to pay seven quid to watch something at home, even if it is in HD and brand new.

I've set up a Wishlist and will watch it on a linear channel- i'm not that bothered for seeing it straight upon release.

Maybe it's not VM's fault and it's the greed of the film companies?? They may even find that a more realistic price would attract more customers and they'd make more profit.

How do others feel about these prices? I've often thought that Netflix etc could raise revenue by offering one off purchases, (like the adult services do on VM) for those not wishing to subscribe on an ongoing basis.

At £7, if they have it, it would better value to subscribe to Sky Movies for a month!
PPV is indeed expensive and it is for this reason I watch very little indeed by that method.

However, I don't think Virgin are charging any differently from other services such as Google Play.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 19:26   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Sounds like it's down to the greed of the film companies then.
Old 20-10-2017, 19:41   #4
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

That's far cheaper than Sky which is an outrageous £9.99 is this an early release or something ?

Sky's usual charge for new rentals is £5.49

I never use PPV it's just to expensive for my liking , the cynic in me thinks rental prices have been increased to tempt people into the buy and keep market.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 19:45   #5
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

ppv can be expensive i prefer to use Sonys rental service on my ps4 as the ppv movies range between £2.50 - £4.99 in hd too.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 19:49   #6
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I'm surprised more people don't use the bluray rental sites more given the price of PPV. You can rent out 4 blurays per month for the same price as that one PPV, including new releases.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 20:32   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
That's far cheaper than Sky which is an outrageous £9.99 is this an early release or something ?

I never use PPV it's just to expensive for my liking , the cynic in me thinks rental prices have been increased to tempt people into the buy and keep market.
Maybe, but I was shocked to read in another thread (might have been a post from theone2k10) that said that buy and keep sometimes doesn't mean any such thing at all! They are sometimes only available for a fixed period of time

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

It was released today (20/10/17).
Old 20-10-2017, 23:23   #8
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
I'm surprised more people don't use the bluray rental sites more given the price of PPV. You can rent out 4 blurays per month for the same price as that one PPV, including new releases.
Problem is there are none anymore Amazon closed down lovefilm recently the only one left now that i know off is cinema paradiso.
Same happened with gaming rentals only boomerang rentals remain now.

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Quote:
Maybe, but I was shocked to read in another thread (might have been a post from theone2k10) that said that buy and keep sometimes doesn't mean any such thing at all! They are sometimes only available for a fixed period of time

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

It was released today (20/10/17).
BIB absolutely true my copy of focus i bought from Wuaki expired on Wendesday shocking it only had a 2 year licence considering i paid £9.99 for it.
Not all companies have restricted time my copy of pans labrynth i bought from playstation store in 2012 is still valid and has no expiry date.
Old 21-10-2017, 01:14   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Sounds like it's down to the greed of the film companies then.
Indeed, I think it is the film studios that are dictating the price.

But then again, it takes a lot of money to make a film, and this is not always made good if the audience doesn't like the film. So if the studios are going to allow their films to be viewed PPV on tv, you can't blame them if they fix their prices having regard to the lost cinema audience.

The balance sheet needs to add up, after all.

Having said that, I did baulk at the prices on the new Virgin Store app!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 01:30   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Having said that, I did baulk at the prices on the new Virgin Store app!
But they're generally all set the same too. This is Transformers: The Last Knight:

On VM Store:
https://www.virginmediastore.com/mov...he-last-knight

On Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transformer.../dp/B072X2GQJ4

iTunes
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/movie/tr...l/id1242544331

Sky Store:
https://www.skystore.com/product/tra...b-d007f93d776f

All £13.99

Last edited by BenMcr; 21-10-2017 at 01:35.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 10:26   #11
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

I can't say I have watched a film for years that I would have wanted to rush out and watch as soon as it came out.

Make a list of films people suggest are worth watching and wait for them to appear on the normal movie channels.

Saying that, I have had movies since I joined VM in early Feb this year - have yet to watch a single film as yet.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 12:46   #12
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
A tiny bit cheaper from Sony https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...SPORTDELUXE000 at £12.99 hd

Last edited by theone2k10; 21-10-2017 at 13:25.
Old 21-10-2017, 13:15   #13
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Sky will very soon offer more purchasing options on Sky Store.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 14:23   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I can't say I have watched a film for years that I would have wanted to rush out and watch as soon as it came out.

Make a list of films people suggest are worth watching and wait for them to appear on the normal movie channels.

Saying that, I have had movies since I joined VM in early Feb this year - have yet to watch a single film as yet.
Get them cancelled ASAP! From what I can gather, you won't be without them too long before being offered a sweetener to return (if you find that you miss them).
Old 22-10-2017, 11:33   #15
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Get them cancelled ASAP! From what I can gather, you won't be without them too long before being offered a sweetener to return (if you find that you miss them).

When I joined VM I got a 1 year deal on the top package incl all channels an 200mb BB.

I thought 200mb BB, don't need that 100mb will be ample, changing this online added£20pm to my bill.(actually get nothing like this as my computer is connected to the router by wifi)

I suspect deleting movies would have a similar effect.

When the year is up I will look at my options:-

1) delete movies
2) downgrade BB to 100mb
3) possibly return to sky as supplier
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote