Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 07-08-2015, 20:57   #1141
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
I've personally welcomed it upgrading from 8.1 which started to become a real slug. MS need not patch this to death! Please!

Shutdown hold up is still present though. Do they have to turn the display off soo quickly?! Simultaneous or even a couple seconds out will do but a whole 10 odd seconds between display off and machine off!!
It's light years ahead of Windows 8. Up to now i have no issues at all with windows 10.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2015, 03:22   #1142
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

All good here. Looking great.
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:43   #1143
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed that W10 appears to be faster on my main desktop compared with W8.1. cant see much difference on the others. I agree the ikons on the task bar are too small and all MS allow you is to make them smaller. And this is with a 27inch monitor!
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:52   #1144
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

But l need them bigger not smaller as my eyes are getting worse like others are too.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:13   #1145
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But l need them bigger not smaller as my eyes are getting worse like others are too.
Microsoft KNOWS BEST

I have managed to tell MS not to tell me in Notifications what e-mail I have received.

Have you noticed if you use IE 11 that there is a little smile face in the top right hand corner that's asks you to (Let us know what you think).

Is their philosophy now to treat everyone as complete imbeciles?
Old 08-08-2015, 10:45   #1146
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Microsoft KNOWS BEST

I have managed to tell MS not to tell me in Notifications what e-mail I have received.

Have you noticed if you use IE 11 that there is a little smile face in the top right hand corner that's asks you to (Let us know what you think).

Is their philosophy now to treat everyone as complete imbeciles?
Most people are imbeciles
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 19:39   #1147
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Most people are imbeciles
Bit harsh! SOME people are imbeciles..
Old 09-08-2015, 07:22   #1148
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

I just clicked on the smilie and all it does is ask you to report on the web site and if it has any faults etc.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:55   #1149
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
yes IE still in windows 10
And thank goodness !!

There is no Tracking Protection in Edge, and it's really starting to P me off

At least with IE11 you can add the TPL's and get a relatively ad free experience, but Edge is just hopeless. As far as I can see, at the moment at least, there is no way to add TPL's to Edge, so I'm back to using IE11.

Apart from this, I'm fairly happy with the upgrade to Windows 10. All 3 physical upgrades, and one VM went without any great showstoppers. Just a couple of specific drivers for the Fujitsu laptop were not present on 10, so just used the existing 8.1 drivers instead.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 16:16   #1150
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Im wondering, has anyone downloaded and used any of the apps from the store on windows 10 such as facebook or twitter and do they work ok?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 19:18   #1151
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

The Facebook app is problematic if you use a small tablet. It hasn't been updated for Windows 10 which causes an issue as the on-screen keyboard is taller in Windows 10 (as it has a bar on top with close, resize etc buttons on it) so it obscures the text entry box in messenger mode.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 19:22   #1152
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Just had my first real hiccup, system was in sleep mode, when awoken I got a blue screen with following message.

Windows encountered a problem, your system needs to restart, check for problem online..Memory_Management.

It then rebooted several times, all the while reporting it was installing updates before finally settling down.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:32   #1153
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

For those interested about Privacy Trade off with Win 10 here's a transcript of part of a podcast by Steve Gibson (of Gibson Research) & Leo Laporte (of The Tech Guy).

They talk about what is enabled by default with an express install and how to disable any you are not happy about. There's a lot of banter inbetween but you can scroll past that.

I found it informative and hope you do too.

I won't be upgrading anytime soon as I agree with Steve, it makes it harder for me to do the things I do most, though I do admit it's a vast improvement on Win8 (which I never used either). I'll stick with Win 7 for now.
Attached Files
File Type: doc GIBSON RESEARCH CORPORATIONhttps.doc (94.0 KB, 13 views)
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 13:13   #1154
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Im wondering, has anyone downloaded and used any of the apps from the store on windows 10 such as facebook or twitter and do they work ok?
yes facebook and twitter apps work good on windows 10
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 16:51   #1155
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

can u use the apps on Windows 10 PC aswell as the tablets?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote