Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Crisis in the NHS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Crisis in the NHS

Old 09-06-2017, 21:27   #271
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one
Re: Crisis in the NHS

Here, here
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2017, 17:05   #272
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Yes, all that money going into fat cat PRIVATE hands and Labour should be proud of it? I thought they were vehemently against privatising the NHS

Even the fattest of Tory cats would have struggled to privatise the NHS more than Brown...
I think I'm right in saying that most of the privatisation of the NHS in recent times has been brought about by Labour, via PFI.

You wouldn't think it from the things they come out with.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 00:54   #273
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think I'm right in saying that most of the privatisation of the NHS in recent times has been brought about by Labour, via PFI.

I think Corbyn is arguing against further privatisation of the NHS eg by NHS trusts outsourcing work to companies like Virgin Care and Circle Health. He's not attempting to justify the PFI and PPP schemes from previous administrations.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:25   #274
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think Corbyn is arguing against further privatisation of the NHS eg by NHS trusts outsourcing work to companies like Virgin Care and Circle Health. He's not attempting to justify the PFI and PPP schemes from previous administrations.
So instead of getting people the care they need quicker by using the private sector to take up the slack, people will have to wait longer to get the care they need.

Yes, that would make sense to the Cobynistas! God help us!!
Old 11-06-2017, 11:43   #275
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
So instead of getting people the care they need quicker by using the private sector to take up the slack, people will have to wait longer to get the care they need.

Yes, that would make sense to the Cobynistas! God help us!!
I think his key arguments have been about outsourcing existing functions to private companies, not using the private sector for overflow in times of peak demand.
Old 11-06-2017, 14:08   #276
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

It's typical of their lies and spin. They portray themselves as the friends of a publicly run NHS and castigate the Tories when in fact they've done more to privatise it than the Tories ever did. Sadly rather too many people still fall for it because it's what they want to hear.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 15:29   #277
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It's typical of their lies and spin. They portray themselves as the friends of a publicly run NHS and castigate the Tories when in fact they've done more to privatise it than the Tories ever did. Sadly rather too many people still fall for it because it's what they want to hear.
I think the debate is about which parties will privatise most or least of the NHS going forward. It's convenient for some to try and measure which party used PPP or PFI contracts the most but I've not seen a figure on this nor is it really a relevant debate, as these contracts have largely been discredited by all parties.
Old 11-06-2017, 15:35   #278
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
I think the debate is about which parties will privatise most or least of the NHS going forward. It's convenient for some to try and measure which party used PPP or PFI contracts the most but I've not seen a figure on this nor is it really a relevant debate, as these contracts have largely been discredited by all parties.
Let me tell you this in April this year the entire childrens services of my NHS trust was transferred to Virgin Healthcare.

Some of the PFI figures I know as a union rep they would make your eyes water.
Old 11-06-2017, 17:04   #279
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

It's also convenient for some to deny the scale of the PFI debacle and the huge ONGOING costs these contracts are imposing on the NHS and will be doing for decades. That money could be being far better spent where it matters instead of simply adding to the costs before we even start treating anyone.
Old 11-06-2017, 17:20   #280
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It's also convenient for some to deny the scale of the PFI debacle and the huge ONGOING costs these contracts are imposing on the NHS and will be doing for decades. That money could be being far better spent where it matters instead of simply adding to the costs before we even start treating anyone.
I don't think you'll find JC denying their ongoing costs. His party seems to have learnt from the sorry state of affairs. Unlike the Conservatives who may well be motivated to deny the scale of the PPP-PFI debacle.
Old 11-06-2017, 17:28   #281
richard1960

Quote:
Now that is a cast iron 100% fact. Sadly..
Old 11-06-2017, 17:39   #282
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
PFI was a Labour initiative, wasn't it? They should not be allowed to dodge that truth.

Frankly I don't care whether the private or public sector run it, as long as we get better value for money, and provided that it remains free at the point of delivery.

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Quote:
Why does anyone care so much who runs the NHS? It's a ridiculous debate, given the obvious inefficiency that we have to contend with while it remains as it is.
Old 11-06-2017, 17:39   #283
richard1960

Quote:
PFI was a Labour initiative, wasn't it? They should not be allowed to dodge that truth.

Frankly I don't care whether the private or public sector run it, as long as we get better value for money, and provided that it remains free at the point of delivery.
I do surely when the private sector run it they have to make a profit.

So the PFI deals were astronomical with profits built in.

As will deals be that sees private sector companies buy up chunks of the NHS free at the point of delivery or not profit is key.
Old 11-06-2017, 18:35   #284
Osem
Inactive

On the other hand when there's no profit there's no incentive to keep costs down, in fact there's a tendency to overspend in order to justify current/higher budgets. You see that in local government when, come March every year, certain departments embark on a spending splurge in order to ensure the money they've been allocated is spent. Granted that's become less common in recent years due to the pressure on finances.

Neither system is perfect but it shouldn't be impossible to arrive at some form of compromise which takes the best of both. The NHS cannot continue to be run the way it is because it could swallow every penny of GDP and still need more. It's been tinkered with and allowed to develop in a largely ad-hoc manner for decades and putting that right will take decades, if anyone can grasp such a poisoned chalice.
Old 11-06-2017, 19:22   #285
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
I do surely when the private sector run it they have to make a profit.

So the PFI deals were astronomical with profits built in.

As will deals be that sees private sector companies buy up chunks of the NHS free at the point of delivery or not profit is key.
What you are not seeing is that the private sector can take a profit from the efficiencies they introduce whilst still saving money for the taxpayer.

The PFI debacle was a poorly thought out Labour initiative which did nothing to limit ongoing costs. It just shows the level of inexperience and business know-how in the Labour Party that resulted in this state of affairs.