Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 01-02-2017, 20:33   #2761
ASMO
cf.member

ASMO is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

I find my TiVo box painstakingly slow at times is the V6 worth the upgrade then?
ASMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2017, 20:39   #2762
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASMO View Post
I find my TiVo box painstakingly slow at times is the V6 worth the upgrade then?
Yes, definitely! Much quicker and the wi-fi connection between two V6s is amazing. The six tuners on each Tivo means that programme clashes are a thing of the past.

I've never looked back!!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:10   #2763
mparker42
Inactive

Services: V+HD 20MB Broadband
mparker42 is an unknown quantity at this point

That was a most interesting install I had on Tuesday. It transpired that at the time of my install, another crew were replacing a junction box at the bottom of my road so I had no internet or tv for several hours. My engineer just plugged them in and told me it should be up and running within an hour however it was more like 3 hours.

It could have been a self install frankly. There was nothing the engineer did that I couldn't have done myself. He never plugged in the HDMI cable into one box and it took me a minute or two to realise this. He also didn't tighten up the main lead into the V6 so I didn't have all the channels and may were breaking up until I tightened it up.

I contacted Virgin to get 2 remotes that he said I didn't need as well. All is good now.
mparker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:11   #2764
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Glad it worked out fine in the end, MP!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:13   #2765
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Sorry guys, quick question.
Does the V6 power cable use the same one as the current Tivo?
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:24   #2766
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Not the adaptor itself but it does use the same two prong connector back to the mains.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:34   #2767
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Not the adaptor itself but it does use the same two prong connector back to the mains.
Cheers Ben,
Was hoping not to have to pull my TV unit out when the engineer comes on Tuesday lol
Old 02-02-2017, 13:27   #2768
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Cheers Ben,
Was hoping not to have to pull my TV unit out when the engineer comes on Tuesday lol

I had a mains socket that was difficult to reach, that TiVo was plugged into. He didn't have to access it; was difficult to see exactly what he was doing, but it appeared that he just swapped the power brick between the Tivo mains in and existing plugged in power lead.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 14:18   #2769
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Great install yesterday.

Tivo moved to old V+ location.

V6+ installed where TiVo was (WiFi connection to shub3).

Wall box innerds replaced. Upstairs BB boost replaced.

Nice guy Johnny who didn't want a cuppa.

Copy of setttings took a few minutes.

All good.

FAST FAST FAST.... this is what we wanted and VM have delivered.

Gripes:

Watching BBC iplayer last night but when i paused for a few minutes, remote wouldn't work properly. Had to pair it again.... twice.

Perhaps first night nerves.

Anyway remembered to disable power save and changed audio to PCM.

Billing- now i have retentions having to listen to recording as i've been billed £114.90 FFS whenthey had agreed £14.95 only--- and on more than one occasion.
Old 02-02-2017, 14:40   #2770
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I had a mains socket that was difficult to reach, that TiVo was plugged into. He didn't have to access it; was difficult to see exactly what he was doing, but it appeared that he just swapped the power brick between the Tivo mains in and existing plugged in power lead.
That's good to know, cheers PB.
Hopefully he can do the same for mine
Old 03-02-2017, 08:54   #2771
UnStable
cf.member

UnStable is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Will this work with V+HD box too?
UnStable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:39   #2772
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnStable View Post
Will this work with V+HD box too?
Yes
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 13:10   #2773
Daz555
Inactive

Daz555 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Sorry guys, quick question.
Does the V6 power cable use the same one as the current Tivo?
It uses a different power brick but it connects to the same figure of 8 power lead. V6 also uses a push fit coax connector (rather than screwed in) so the engineer adds a simple adaptor cable onto your current coax.

My V6 installation went without issue. Only (very) minor annoyance is that the USB port on the back of the V6 does not even have power to it which is a shame because I used to use my old Tivo to charge my PS4 joypad.
Daz555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 14:00   #2774
jonandmarkuk
Inactive

Services: Samsung HU8550 (SEK-3500), Yamaha RXV777, Full House TV, 200Mb, 2 VM v6 Tivos, Slingbox.
jonandmarkuk is on a distinguished roadjonandmarkuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz555 View Post
It uses a different power brick but it connects to the same figure of 8 power lead. V6 also uses a push fit coax connector (rather than screwed in) so the engineer adds a simple adaptor cable onto your current coax.

My V6 installation went without issue. Only (very) minor annoyance is that the USB port on the back of the V6 does not even have power to it which is a shame because I used to use my old Tivo to charge my PS4 joypad.
It's strange about the USB port on your v6. It maybe depends on how much power is supplied but I have my Logitech Harmony Hub powered from the v6 without any problems.
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 14:12   #2775
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Damn, I make use of the current TiVo USB port to power a Firestick. I've got my V6 install on tuesday, looks like I'll have to find the mains adapter this weekend
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote