Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 13-05-2015, 15:42   #421
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
This is 100% NOT correct, anyone on the insider program will need a valid Windows 7,8.1 key to get their FREE Windows 10 upgrade in the first year, unless this has changed in the last 24hrs.
This is 100% NOT correct, anyone with windows 7, 8 or 8.1 will get a FREE upgrade to Windows 10 in the first year irrespective of whether they have a valid key or not.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0ME06A20150318

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/windows-...dered-pirated/
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2015, 16:24   #422
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
This is 100% NOT correct, anyone with windows 7, 8 or 8.1 will get a FREE upgrade to Windows 10 in the first year irrespective of whether they have a valid key or not.

Anyone with 7/8/8.1 will be able to upgrade whilst retaining their existing licenced or not state, but I think the implication was that the Insiders would be able to get a free upgrade to a genuine and licenced version of Windows 10, even if they didn't have a qualifying product i.e. a licenced version of 7 or 8/8.1

On a side note it'll be interesting to see what happens once a non-genuine or mis-licensed user has upgraded to Windows 10 - will it then be easier for Microsoft to shut the OS down.
Old 13-05-2015, 17:38   #423
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post

I thought MS clarified that pirated copies wouldnt be able to upgrade a while back? I am am work so not able to go digging for that.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Windows 10 SKU strategy announced.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...s-sku-strategy
Old 13-05-2015, 18:00   #424
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Introducing Windows 10 Editions

Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Mobile
Windows 10 Pro

As we announced earlier this year, for the first time ever, we are offering the full versions of Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Pro as a free and easy upgrade for qualifying Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year after launch.** Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...medium=twitter

there is more listed not free though the ones 1 listed are the free ones
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 01:38   #425
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
On a side note it'll be interesting to see what happens once a non-genuine or mis-licensed user has upgraded to Windows 10 - will it then be easier for Microsoft to shut the OS down.
I don't think it'll be any easier or harder than it is now. I'm not sure if it's still the case but IIRC unlicensed copies of Win8 shuts itself down every few hours, MS could just as easily do that with 10. Either case I'm sure there'll be cracks and workarounds just the same, but I'm assuming MS are looking to both reduce the vulnerable user base and/or increase opportunities for upsell.

I doubt their reasons for offering unlicensed upgrades is to let them easily disable the OS later...

---------- Post added at 01:38 ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 ----------

Quote:
I thought MS clarified that pirated copies wouldnt be able to upgrade a while back? I am am work so not able to go digging for that.[COLOR="Silver"]
They clarified that pirated copies would be able to upgrade. They just wouldn't magically become genuine in the process.
Old 14-05-2015, 10:13   #426
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

MS really don't do themselves any favours, on 1 hand they have confirmed that you need a legal key to upgrade from windows 7,8.1 and on the other hand they say you can upgrade from a pirated version of windows but that doesn't make it a genuine copy.

So if there is no real user limitation using an upgraded pirated version of windows then what is the point of having a legal key in the first place! I am seeing stories about it being unsupported but no one seems to know what that really means.
Old 14-05-2015, 13:33   #427
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
MS really don't do themselves any favours, on 1 hand they have confirmed that you need a legal key to upgrade from windows 7,8.1 and on the other hand they say you can upgrade from a pirated version of windows but that doesn't make it a genuine copy.

So if there is no real user limitation using an upgraded pirated version of windows then what is the point of having a legal key in the first place! I am seeing stories about it being unsupported but no one seems to know what that really means.
It's as intended to be a benefit to Microsoft as to the end user. Same reason they officially allow critical updates for non-legitimate copies of Windows 7 and 8 - the less broken Windows systems on the internet, the better.
Old 14-05-2015, 13:43   #428
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

on a different note, has anyone changed the account details they use to log in to their Win 10 machine?

I used my work email address when I installed Win10, but want to change to my personal one. Looking at some guides I've seen for Win 8, I'd need to change the account to a local one, and then to a new accoutn using my personal email address.

However I don't want to lose all my settings, emails, config etc.

I'll do a backup before trying it but wondered if anyone here had tried it and if it worked ok or not

Cheers
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 15:28   #429
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

proof it not going subscription

Gabriel Aul ‎@GabeAul

@briguy943 "Windows as a service" just means that we'll continuously keep it up to date. There is no ongoing fee.
Old 14-05-2015, 16:07   #430
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Will Windows 10 free upgrade be available as ISO download so I burn a DVD?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 16:15   #431
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
no one knows that yet hope they will be a ISO
Old 14-05-2015, 16:37   #432
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
no one knows that yet hope they will be a ISO
You can already create install media for Windows 8.1 so I can't see it'll be any different http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-refresh-media

Even if you have to 'purchase' for £0.00 Windows 10 via the Microsoft Store first.

Although unless they continually refresh the ISO, it'll take longer and longer to update as they add new W10 features!
Old 14-05-2015, 18:05   #433
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You can already create install media for Windows 8.1 so I can't see it'll be any different http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-refresh-media

Even if you have to 'purchase' for £0.00 Windows 10 via the Microsoft Store first.
Indeed, and there'll always be an ISO for MSDN/DS users anyway.

Quote:
Although unless they continually refresh the ISO, it'll take longer and longer to update as they add new W10 features!
Not a huge amount different to any previous version of Windows, if I install a non-SP1 copy of Windows 7 it's a good 2-3 hours to catch up with Windows Updates, even with an SP1 install there's still a good hour or two of updates regardless.

That said future updates *might* be bigger but no conceptually different. But if they do keep growing it won't be long before it won't fit on a standard 4.35GB DVD anymore, it already stopped fitting on a 4GB USB stick.
Old 14-05-2015, 18:50   #434
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
on a different note, has anyone changed the account details they use to log in to their Win 10 machine?

I used my work email address when I installed Win10, but want to change to my personal one. Looking at some guides I've seen for Win 8, I'd need to change the account to a local one, and then to a new accoutn using my personal email address.

However I don't want to lose all my settings, emails, config etc.

I'll do a backup before trying it but wondered if anyone here had tried it and if it worked ok or not

Cheers
On XP SP2 I copied the entire profile to the new user, seemed to work OK. I would guess something similar will work for the later OS. Don't forget to include hidden and system files.
Old 14-05-2015, 19:13   #435
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

A Windows 10 upgrade for preview users is distributed through Windows update

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote