Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dropping landline to save money.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Dropping landline to save money.

Old 09-10-2017, 18:52   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Dropping landline to save money.

I no longer use my landline, so am thinking of just taking TV and broadband.

The offshore call centre are useless and the VM website seems to just take me round in circles for various phone/TV/BB options.

Does anyone know how much I would save?

I presume my discounts would be recalculated, so it may not be worth it.

I currently get minimum phone, XL/Full house TV and 200 BB (but could easily manage on a much lower speed) for about £55 per month (won't be affected by the price rise until at least 6 months into the future).

Thanks.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2017, 19:00   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Dropping landline to save money.

Why dont you just ring them up and ask what you would save ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 20:22   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Couldn't get any sense out of the offshore call centre, but kept trying and have just come off the phone to someone in the UK.

He said that I get a good discount for taking all three services, which I would lose if I dropped to two services. The net result being that it would work out more expensive to drop the landline!

I suppose it's useful in case of an emergency and mobile is down, plus 0870 calls are free at the weekends (which are chargeable on my mobile).

The VM website mentions 0870 minutes, I presume that this means that there is a cap on how many minutes you can use when calling 0870 numbers. Anyone know what this cap is?
Old 10-10-2017, 14:38   #4
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Couldn't get any sense out of the offshore call centre, but kept trying and have just come off the phone to someone in the UK.

He said that I get a good discount for taking all three services, which I would lose if I dropped to two services. The net result being that it would work out more expensive to drop the landline!

I suppose it's useful in case of an emergency and mobile is down, plus 0870 calls are free at the weekends (which are chargeable on my mobile).

The VM website mentions 0870 minutes, I presume that this means that there is a cap on how many minutes you can use when calling 0870 numbers. Anyone know what this cap is?
No. There is no cap on 0870 calls apart from the 60 mins max call duration. You are thinking about the old "Talk 08" add-on that existed prior to these numbers being included as standard. Taking Line Rental Saver will save you a few quid if you don't have it already.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 15:26   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks, I'm in two minds about LRS as I believe the discount has been reduced, plus you effectively tie yourself into a one year contract as it isn't refundable (or forego what you've paid upfront).
Old 10-10-2017, 16:51   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Thanks, I'm in two minds about LRS as I believe the discount has been reduced, plus you effectively tie yourself into a one year contract as it isn't refundable (or forego what you've paid upfront).
What makes you think that? Bt refunded mine pro-rata
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 20:32   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-leg...tal-saver.html
Old 10-10-2017, 20:57   #8
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
What makes you think that? Bt refunded mine pro-rata
Not according to BT:
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...saver-discount
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 21:15   #9
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post

Have a look at post 225

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Pa...1717554#M84686
Old 10-10-2017, 22:20   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

An interesting scenario of conflicting information.

This might add weight to a complaint to Ofcom about BT or VM refusing to refund advance line rental if a service is cancelled following a price increase.

I think they both have a cheek to even think about refusing to refund any monies paid in advance after a service is cancelled. If they scrapped this nonsense they would probably find that more customers would participate. This scheme benefits their cash flow & need to take on debt & the resultant interest charges anyway, so they wouldn't be losing out.
Old 19-10-2017, 21:42   #11
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I no longer use my landline, so am thinking of just taking TV and broadband..
Are you sure that's wise? Always have a landline (with at least one phone not cordless) in case of emergency. Mobiles can't be relied upon, they lose signal and power.

Don't think you'll save much, if anything, if you're taking TV and broadband aswell.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 22:15   #12
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Are you sure that's wise? Always have a landline (with at least one phone not cordless) in case of emergency. Mobiles can't be relied upon, they lose signal and power.

Don't think you'll save much, if anything, if you're taking TV and broadband aswell.
What kind of emergancy?
Old 20-10-2017, 16:48   #13
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
What kind of emergancy?
I was thinking like a 999 emergency, no good relying on a mobile that can't get a signal or is out of power. Cordless phones are also useless in a power cut, where as a corded one continues to work, assuming the exchange hasn't had a cut too.

(maybe i'm just a glass half empty sort of person )
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 16:52   #14
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I was thinking like a 999 emergency, no good relying on a mobile that can't get a signal or is out of power. Cordless phones are also useless in a power cut, where as a corded one continues to work, assuming the exchange hasn't had a cut too.

(maybe i'm just a glass half empty sort of person )

I believe the exchange must have a battery backup.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 17:50   #15
jb66
cf.mega poster

I can't think of a 999 emergency situation a mobile isn't sufficient.