Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 17-10-2013, 16:23   #4156
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

humpy over here... again

craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2013, 17:36   #4157
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Plenty of humping there (in conjunction with your avatar), Kush!

None in RG41.
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
To be honest it'll probably take BT longer to install Infinity than it takes VM to sort out this debacle.

---------- Post added at 12:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

Their core network has hundreds, if not thousands of sections. To be fair it's probably been flagged up somewhere, but we all know how good VM are at getting departments to talk to each other...
Actually the system Virgin uses to communicate between departments is one of the better tools they have. The problem is that certain departments utterly refuse to believe that they have an issue. I'm sure someone has tried to raise this as an issue, only to have it punted back to them as an NFF. This always happens with degraded service, because it is working after all.
I remember having full on arguments with CNMC (Who I believe don't exist anymore) about what priority a ticket should be. The difference in priorities will dictate how long until it's fixed - the difference between hours or days.
Degraded service has the lowest priority because people are still getting a service, but at what point would you say the service has degraded so much that it may as well not be a service at all? You'd think that'd be when you can't use your connection for its intended purpose (gaming, streaming, etc.) but oh no, according to some folks if the connection is intermittent and it takes 3mins to load google, it's still a working service.

It didn't help that their bonus system was based around how quickly they got things fixed. Lower priorities gave them longer fix times so they'd use any excuse they could think of to keep priority as low as possible.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 18:38   #4158
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Heh, well I'll concede you probably know way better than me how those things work on the inside. I've just seen plenty of stories about different departments telling people completely different things and everyone seems to put it down to poor communication. I've seen it plenty of times myself as well...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 21:38   #4159
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

A little flurry of *something* but no large hump tonight....

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 22:33   #4160
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleb View Post
A little flurry of *something* but no large hump tonight....

Same here, just checked mine from work!
Firmsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 22:43   #4161
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Degraded service has the lowest priority because people are still getting a service, but at what point would you say the service has degraded so much that it may as well not be a service at all? You'd think that'd be when you can't use your connection for its intended purpose (gaming, streaming, etc.) but oh no, according to some folks if the connection is intermittent and it takes 3mins to load google, it's still a working service.
That explains a lot. Makes me wonder what levels they have even lower than lowest priority, as the fix date for my problem was a year

Edit: Checking forum posts for my old area, it seems they really did take up until the end of April/beginning of May this year to fix that oversubscribed UBR, right around the quoted fix date
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 23:25   #4162
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Their "fix" being "wait for the next round of scheduled upgrades that we're putting in anyway for the 120Mb rollout"
Old 17-10-2013, 23:31   #4163
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmsky View Post
Same here, just checked mine from work!
Yes first evening in nearly a week that looks normal other than that little spike.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 23:48   #4164
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Yes first evening in nearly a week that looks normal other than that little spike.
Just got in myself and my connection is working as per normal, will be interesting to see if they comment on what was the problem as clearly there was one.
Firmsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 00:42   #4165
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Their "fix" being "wait for the next round of scheduled upgrades that we're putting in anyway for the 120Mb rollout"
sounds about right.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 13:33   #4166
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
That explains a lot. Makes me wonder what levels they have even lower than lowest priority, as the fix date for my problem was a year

Edit: Checking forum posts for my old area, it seems they really did take up until the end of April/beginning of May this year to fix that oversubscribed UBR, right around the quoted fix date
Sounds about right. To be honest, capacity issues always took months and months and months to fix, but Virgin had a habit of giving an estimated fix of about 2 weeks away, but every time you phoned up, it'd always be 2 weeks away, or "some time next month". I wouldn't be surprised if the average lead times on those really was in the tens of months. It seems to have gotten a bit better these days and from he sounds of it, they're giving more realistic fix dates - about time. It's not right to tell a customer that an issue will be fixed if there's no chance of it any time soon. Quite honestly, I found most customers to be incredibly reasonable if you told them the truth, it's when the two week window came and went for the 3rd or 4th time that they get extremely irate.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 21:11   #4167
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Here mine:

telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 21:39   #4168
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Quite honestly, I found most customers to be incredibly reasonable if you told them the truth, it's when the two week window came and went for the 3rd or 4th time that they get extremely irate.
Had my date moved about 6 times for one fault number and only on the last one did they then give a realistic date of 6 months away, instead of the usual 2 to 4 weeks random time. Think you guys know how irate that can get someone

Been almost a year with sky now and the broadband is as good as the day it was installed. Same low latency and no downtime at all.

Done tons of downloading the last 24 hours but you can still see the connection is as good as originally posted a year ago:

Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 23:12   #4169
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

Is there a reason why you are covertly pimping an affiliate link in your sig Qtx?
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 02:41   #4170
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Not very covert at all! Incidentally I'm finding fttc far more reliable than VM was even when working. No more than 60 seconds of total downtime in over a year, and my line had been up continuously for 5 months, having only gone down due to me moving the modem onto ups