Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why are we still bothering with SD?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Why are we still bothering with SD?

Old 11-08-2013, 19:37   #16
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Why are we still bothering with SD?

it's handy having some channels in SD for when the V+ box gets nearly full, I can record the SD version of a show to avoid guessing how critical critical is
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2013, 20:24   #17
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
I honestly don't think i know a single person who doesn't at least have a 720p capable TV in the living room, most have 1080p. TV's elsewhere in their houses is another matter though.
My Gran doesn't. Had my last TV not broken down I wouldn't either. I could afford one but I'm not in the business of buying things just because I can (I'm tight, truth be told!).
Old 11-08-2013, 22:38   #18
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

This is the kind of thread we should be comming back to in 10 years time when

95% of VM STB are HD capable
HD channels are compressed to Mpeg4 codec
HD channels are not sold as premium channels
SKY does not hold HD variants to themselves

Then if these conditions are met you can have the debate what is the point of the SYFY channel being available in SD!
Old 11-08-2013, 22:40   #19
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold

perhaps the question should be 'when will we be stopped being charged more for HD' ?

HD could be regarded as the 'standard' format for most mainstream channels for many viewers.

Yes i know HD is included 'free' for those channels available in the XL pack but as we all know nothing is actually free and part of the cost is absorbed into the price of that package.

And of course an actual fee still applies to Sky's premium channels (ie sport & movies). I cancelled the HD premium charge as i was finding it difficult to justify the cost for a few channels- that was before i cancelled Sky sports & movies altogether.
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 22:49   #20
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
My Gran doesn't. Had my last TV not broken down I wouldn't either. I could afford one but I'm not in the business of buying things just because I can (I'm tight, truth be told!).
Nor does my mum. She has a 4:3 CRT Sanyo set in her living room that must be 25 years old. It's connected to a Freeview PVR via the single SCART socket on its back, which was so mysterious and newfangled when the TV was new, we didn't know what it was supposed to be for!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 23:06   #21
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

What I don't understand is why are the channels separate? Can't the device downscale the HD to SD, or switch or the broadcast switch bitrates?
Old 11-08-2013, 23:16   #22
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Ok, here goes...

1) A HD channel takes typically 4 to 6 times the bandwidth of a SD channel. So changing all channels to HD would require far more bandwidth, even if the SD versions were dropped. That either means losing a load of channels, or introducing new expensive technologies (e.g. switched video; motorised dishes and more satellites)

2) The fact that many TVs are SD-only isn't a problem if they have an HD STB that can downscale. However, LOTS of people still have SD-only STBs. Are you willing to pay for new STBs for them?

3) HD production and broacasting is more expensive, and requires new equipment. Are you willing to pay for all the minor broadcasters to upgrade?

4) Interest in HD simply isn't that great. Although 73% of the UK population have a HD-ready TV, only 49% actually have a HD source (source).
And many of those who could watch HD, don't. As an example only 5.7% of ITV viewing last week was HD.
Think you have summed it up rather well in this post SP!
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 23:38   #23
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I find that some HD channels are better than others I've seen some poor HD channels where standard has looked better.

I find the BBC puts out some good HD
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 23:49   #24
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
I'm not going to get rid of a perfectly fine television just because it's not HD.
I'll 'upgrade' when it breaks and becomes too expensive to repair compared to the cost of a new one
Which is exactly why 3D has not failed either although people are proposing it has. I've only just bought a 3D set so until now could not view it.... ...simples
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 00:29   #25
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Logistically, if downsampling HD+SD boxes were rolled out to everyone, they could recover some channel space by eliminating the SD version of HD channels.

The question being... what is the channel space worth, compared to replacing old SD boxes.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:22   #26
yorkshireborn
Inactive

Services: SkyQ silver 2TB SkyQ mini multiroom Boxset skysports HD skymovies HD Virgin vivid 350meg
yorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about them

im the other way why are we bothering with +1s with TiVo and v+ boxes theres no need

---------- Post added at 01:22 ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
This is the kind of thread we should be comming back to in 10 years time when

95% of VM STB are HD capable
HD channels are compressed to Mpeg4 codec
HD channels are not sold as premium channels
SKY does not hold HD variants to themselves

Then if these conditions are met you can have the debate what is the point of the SYFY channel being available in SD!
in 10 years well be wanting super HD most will be owning 4k tvs
yorkshireborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:49   #27
MutleyF
Inactive

Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
MutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant future

There has been occasion where the +1 variants have been handy whilst flicking through channels.
I don't sit down each week with a marker pen and tick off the programs I want to watch from the TV Times! - maybe I should, but I more often than not find an interesting program by channel hopping, and so if I have missed the start, the +1 is handy.

(Glad Carl is not here to read that else he would crucify me for using the Tivo incorrectly!)
MutleyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:17   #28
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Can't the device downscale the HD to SD, or switch or the broadcast switch bitrates?
HD boxes can downscale, but SD ones can't.

Switching bitrates would be a massive change to the technology - basically getting rid of broadcast entirely. I expect it will happen eventually though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
The question being... what is the channel space worth, compared to replacing old SD boxes.
There is no pressing need to replace the SD boxes. VM already have enough space free for current plans.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:38   #29
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Ok, here goes...

1) A HD channel takes typically 4 to 6 times the bandwidth of a SD channel. So changing all channels to HD would require far more bandwidth, even if the SD versions were dropped. That either means losing a load of channels, or introducing new expensive technologies (e.g. switched video; motorised dishes and more satellites)

2) The fact that many TVs are SD-only isn't a problem if they have an HD STB that can downscale. However, LOTS of people still have SD-only STBs. Are you willing to pay for new STBs for them?

3) HD production and broacasting is more expensive, and requires new equipment. Are you willing to pay for all the minor broadcasters to upgrade?

4) Interest in HD simply isn't that great. Although 73% of the UK population have a HD-ready TV, only 49% actually have a HD source (source).
And many of those who could watch HD, don't. As an example only 5.7% of ITV viewing last week was HD.
Well, some interesting points there. I have to say I don't quite understand the compensation argument, no-one suggested that Kodak should compensate anyone who owned an old camera when they said they weren't going to make film any more. No-one suggested that the makers of HD DVD devices should pay compensation to owners when they lost out to Blu Ray in the format wars and loads of other examples of similar that have occurred over the years!
I still stick to my original assertion, that this is a case of when this will happen, not if. I realise it's not going to be imminent, but I'm just saying I'd like to see it happen in the next, say, 4 to 5 years rather than the 15 to 20 which unfortunately I believe is the more likely scenario.
Lastly, when I watched the Community Shield yesterday, I watched it on 113 rather than 103. I've always wanted to be in the top 5.7% of the population for something, looks like I've finally achieved my goal!
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 14:47   #30
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I only have HD for the wife who will go out of her way to watch it, I don't see the point in it myself so don't record / watch HD stuff.

I can see a time when it'll all be HD but I'm in no hurry for it to happen.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote