Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why are we still bothering with SD?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Why are we still bothering with SD?

Old 11-08-2013, 13:32   #1
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all
Why are we still bothering with SD?

Well, the title says it all really, what's the point? Surely at some time in the future, SD will disappear altogether leaving us just with the HD channels. As far as I am concerned it might as well happen sooner rather than later! It would presumably free up a load of bandwidth and reduce costs, also it would end the rediculous channel numbering system we have at present where the HD variant of a channel may be hundreds of channels away from its SD version.
I appreciate that some people would have to upgrade their TVs, but have you seen the prices of basic HD TVs these days, they're dirt cheap!
I honestly can't see a downside to this suggestion, but appreciate that others may have a different point of view and if so would be interested to hear it.
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2013, 13:35   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Why are we still bothering with SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
Well, the title says it all really, what's the point? Surely at some time in the future, SD will disappear altogether leaving us just with the HD channels. As far as I am concerned it might as well happen sooner rather than later! It would presumably free up a load of bandwidth and reduce costs, also it would end the rediculous channel numbering system we have at present where the HD variant of a channel may be hundreds of channels away from its SD version.
I appreciate that some people would have to upgrade their TVs, but have you seen the prices of basic HD TVs these days, they're dirt cheap!
I honestly can't see a downside to this suggestion, but appreciate that others may have a different point of view and if so would be interested to hear it.
Topgun, you just have to understand that not everyone is in your privileged position. There are still a lot of SD TVs out there and unlike you, there are also a lot of hard pressed families trying to make ends meet. A new TV will not be on their list of priorities.

As for channel numbering, why is this such an issue. Just select 'HD' on your channel guide and all the HD channels come up, excluding the SD channels. I really don't see the problem!

In any case, what do you expect VM to do with all that vacant bandwidth? To be realistic, we have most of the channels we need now anyway. There's sufficient space for those we don't have that are worth having.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 13:38   #3
praxis
Inactive

praxis is on a distinguished roadpraxis is on a distinguished road

Agreed I think all new channels should be in HD.Ok there are certain channels that would not benefit from HD (gold).But there should be an HD version of all channels available to customers
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 13:39   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis View Post
Agreed I think all new channels should be in HD.Ok there are certain channels that would not benefit from HD (gold).But there should be an HD version of all channels available to customers
I agree with your last sentence.
Old 11-08-2013, 13:40   #5
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Topgun, you just have to understand that not everyone is in your privileged position. There are still a lot of SD TVs out there and unlike you, there are also a lot of hard pressed families trying to make ends meet. A new TV will not be on their list of priorities.

In any case, what do you expect VM to do with all that vacant bandwidth? To be realistic, we have most of the channels we need now anyway. There's sufficient space for those we don't have that are worth having.
Fair point. But the point I was trying to make is, that like black and white TVs and the analogue signal, technology moves on and makes previous hardware redundant. I think what I suggested will happen at some point, I was just saying I would like to see it happen sooner rather than later.
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 13:45   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Fair point. But the point I was trying to make is, that like black and white TVs and the analogue signal, technology moves on and makes previous hardware redundant. I think what I suggested will happen at some point, I was just saying I would like to see it happen sooner rather than later.
I expect you are right that it will happen, but customers will be alienated if VM or Sky try to push this too far too soon.
Old 11-08-2013, 15:00   #7
praxis
Inactive

praxis is on a distinguished roadpraxis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I expect you are right that it will happen, but customers will be alienated if VM or Sky try to push this too far too soon.
Easy solution get shot of the + 1 channels replace with HD
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 15:17   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Ok, here goes...

1) A HD channel takes typically 4 to 6 times the bandwidth of a SD channel. So changing all channels to HD would require far more bandwidth, even if the SD versions were dropped. That either means losing a load of channels, or introducing new expensive technologies (e.g. switched video; motorised dishes and more satellites)

2) The fact that many TVs are SD-only isn't a problem if they have an HD STB that can downscale. However, LOTS of people still have SD-only STBs. Are you willing to pay for new STBs for them?

3) HD production and broacasting is more expensive, and requires new equipment. Are you willing to pay for all the minor broadcasters to upgrade?

4) Interest in HD simply isn't that great. Although 73% of the UK population have a HD-ready TV, only 49% actually have a HD source (source).
And many of those who could watch HD, don't. As an example only 5.7% of ITV viewing last week was HD.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 15:56   #9
andrew.shearman
Inactive

andrew.shearman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think all channels should be in SD and HD I watch a lot in HD Virgin should split there packages into SD and HD so you have a choice
andrew.shearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 16:38   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
It will happen at some point. However, it was 17 years after the introduction of 625-line PAL colour TV on UHF that 405-line mono on VHF was switched off in the UK - officialdom likes to avoid making changes that force large numbers of people to upgrade their equipment, because officialdom dislikes having to compensate people for it.

As it runs a closed, subscriber-based system, VM could of course do whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted, but remember it didn't complete its own analogue switch-off until relatively recently, and right through the process we had people on this forum complaining that analogue suited their needs, why should they be forced to change, etc etc etc.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 17:11   #11
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

I'm not going to get rid of a perfectly fine television just because it's not HD.
I'll 'upgrade' when it breaks and becomes too expensive to repair compared to the cost of a new one

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 17:22   #12
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I honestly don't think i know a single person who doesn't at least have a 720p capable TV in the living room, most have 1080p. TV's elsewhere in their houses is another matter though.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 17:38   #13
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Likewise we have a perfectly good 100Hz 28" Philips Matchline tube TV that so far has only needed a slight tweak to the focus over the years. Anyway my eyes at least aren't good enough to really see any difference on a smaller screen for HD. We do have an HD ready TV in the kitchen (720p) and when it's getting HD on Freeview I'd be pushed to really see any real difference. It's more the LCD screen that makes the difference over a CRT.
And (I assume, based on its location) the fact that it's too small for it to be noticeable.
Old 11-08-2013, 18:22   #14
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

In addition, I remember reading an article a few months back stating tv licensing announced there were still around 20k black and white tv licenses being purchased!

Even those tv sets haven't died yet!
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 19:14   #15
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
I honestly don't think i know a single person who doesn't at least have a 720p capable TV in the living room, most have 1080p. TV's elsewhere in their houses is another matter though.
I presume you mix amongst upwardly mobile people rather than pensioners and low paid workers, then...