Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Frustrating installation woes - BT have annexed my trunking!?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Frustrating installation woes - BT have annexed my trunking!?

Old 07-10-2011, 22:13   #16
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Could do most duct I'd imagine will fit 2x 22mm mdpe pipes inside the duct then run cable through each, technically separate ducts then lol
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2011, 07:15   #17
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Frustrating installation woes - BT have annexed my trunking!?

aka CID
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:42   #18
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

What your referring to is "sub duct", this is used for core network transmission

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 14:44   #19
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

yep, but doesnt it satisfy the requirements for individual ducts?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:21   #20
gingerbull
Inactive

gingerbull is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the advice guys, you are all most helpful. The consensus seems to be that I'm screwed, which wasn't the answer I hoped for - nevertheless at least I know where I stand now.
gingerbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:23   #21
RB2004
Inactive

How are you screwed? Shove 2 sub ducts inside the duct one for each cable problem solved and each cable has it's own duct
Old 11-10-2011, 12:35   #22
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

And if you can't get the BT cable into a duct then just cut 2 short lengths of duct, slice down lengthways, wrap round the cable and then secure to the other empty duct so that it looks like it's in its own duct
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:51   #23
gingerbull
Inactive

gingerbull is an unknown quantity at this point

The duct is certainly wide enough for two narrower pipes - it looks like 40mm plastic plumbing to me. Under the ground it must have 90 degree joins though, it goes straight down at one end, straight up at the other, and the run must be >15 meters. I don't see how I would get two smaller ducts in there. OK, I'm not the most practical of people, there may be methods I haven't considered.
gingerbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 14:32   #24
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

It depends on the severity of the bend, it might go straight down, but the bend could have a fair arch on it. There's not much chance of it being a straight 90 degree bend as the cable has to follow the arch and pulling a cable past a 90 degree bend is asking for trouble.

The only way to tell would be to get a length of pipe and give it a push down to see if it can get past the bend. You'll probably find if you get some that's flexible enough it'll have no issues with it.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:21   #25
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Is garden hose an option?
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 16:58   #26
philce
Inactive

Services: BB XL, TV XL TiVo, Phone M
philce is an unknown quantity at this point

So correct me if I'm wrong, a BT 40 pair cable isnt individually shielded?

If the builder supplied the conduit then it isnt BT property, who gave them permission to use it? They should remove their cable and supply their own?

What is your ADSL like? We were begging for VM to install here as we had sub 2M ADSL ith 2K phone line length! Took 3 years but eventually we have nice fast broadband!

Can you not route through the neighbours property (maybe put in a new duct for you both if they are interested?)

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

Another option is to dig the existing trunking back a few inches/feet then replace with 2 seperate smaller ducts at both ends. Make sure you leave a rope to pull the new cable, then to the casual observer it looks like 2 seperate ducts!

Not really allowed, but depends on how much you want the VM install!!
philce is offline   Reply With Quote