Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New VM Business service - 350Mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New VM Business service - 350Mb

Old 30-09-2017, 15:13   #61
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New VM Business service - 350Mb

VM have been supplied a fixed image to deploy to their terminating equipment, however it hasn't been applied to all nodes yet for some reason. Maybe it introduced new issues?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2017, 00:53   #62
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
VM have been supplied a fixed image to deploy to their terminating equipment, however it hasn't been applied to all nodes yet for some reason. Maybe it introduced new issues?
Quite possibly. Though my service is terminating on a test node within the VM network where they are able to try various configs/changes which have not yet improved service consistently.

Some of the time I get great performance >360 MB/s at times, others around 8-20 Mb/s

I received an email today to say there is an emergency change going in between midnight and 6am Weds morning:-

Planned Work Ref C00862000
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 04/10/2017 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 04/10/2017 06:00
Impact: There will be a loss of service at some point during the timeframe stated above whilst we complete the maintenance work.
Emergency works are required which will impact your Single Static/Multi Static service (Hitron Device) for up to 10 minutes. This is to resolve a hardware fault on the device - F005607576.

The work will start in the early hours of Wednesday morning and you may see several impacts to service up to the maximum time stated.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:00   #63
thedotlair
cf.member

thedotlair is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
The problem still exists at the moment. There has been some progress in the past couple of week I gather, but now firm ETA for the fix as yet, though I know that VMB have a team working on the fix at the moment.
Thank you sir. Ignitionnet and yourself are my only sources of knowledge on it being fixed as VM is giving me static on the subject
thedotlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 18:46   #64
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedotlair View Post
Thank you sir. Ignitionnet and yourself are my only sources of knowledge on it being fixed as VM is giving me static on the subject
I'm waiting for VMB to contact me back regarding my order so that I can tell them where to stick it right now.

They don't answer enquiries from their website. They don't answer their Twitter support handle, while the residential account responds in minutes. This issue is in part self-inflicted and should've been dealt with months ago. The earlier speed upgrades are worthless as in this area the upgrades are running months behind schedule anyway.

So given support seems worse than residential, speed upgrades won't come earlier and static IP addressing doesn't work there's zero incentive to spend the extra.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 20:23   #65
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I'm waiting for VMB to contact me back regarding my order so that I can tell them where to stick it right now.

They don't answer enquiries from their website. They don't answer their Twitter support handle, while the residential account responds in minutes. This issue is in part self-inflicted and should've been dealt with months ago. The earlier speed upgrades are worthless as in this area the upgrades are running months behind schedule anyway.

So given support seems worse than residential, speed upgrades won't come earlier and static IP addressing doesn't work there's zero incentive to spend the extra.

The information VM Business have given me has been well shall we say lacking to say the least.

I was told initially there was 2 different firmwares One for static One for Dynamic.

Then I was then told The Dynamic and Static are the same but the Multi Static is a different firmware that runs on the Hitron as others have posted they are running a newer version than myself.

Have asked to be put to multi-static as in the Glasgow area and the graph/latency is nowhere near as stable as the others posting here.

Also as it uses the residential part of the network it can be congested in the evening with the responses I've been told that your 'traffic' is only 'prioritised' between 9-5. Which well lets just say is a lie as you are given no priority.

In the end I require download speeds of above that of a FTTC connection and bonding two of them right now is still even more expensive than this at the £60 a month premium.

The Speeds are generally fine its more so the unstable latency that is the issue and i'm not talking about the BQM Graph looking completely green like most people expect but when pinging servers in london and europe one would expect the jitter being almost double the latency at random intervals to be the source of a fault somewhere.

Now it is a bit pedantic but the quality of some applications I'm using and services don't run as smooth as they possibly could when you are seeing a constant 20ms which rises to 40-80ms on many occasions.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 22:30   #66
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I agree that the support and communication over the performance problems when static IP addressing is in use has been very bad, ordinarily support for more routine service issues on the business service has been very good to date, in my experience.

On the subject of firmware. my understanding is that there is a single firmware version used, however the GUI config option change depending on whether static IP addressing is defined in the VMB IP service section of the 'Admin tab' .

I am running he multi-static service and am on version 4.5.10.161-SIP-UPC of the Hitron firmware.

What do you have?
Old 03-10-2017, 23:08   #67
kalleh
cf.addict

Quote:
I agree that the support and communication over the performance problems when static IP addressing is in use has been very bad, ordinarily support for more routine service issues on the business service has been very good to date, in my experience.

On the subject of firmware. my understanding is that there is a single firmware version used, however the GUI config option change depending on whether static IP addressing is defined in the VMB IP service section of the 'Admin tab' .

I am running he multi-static service and am on version 4.5.10.161-SIP-UPC of the Hitron firmware.

What do you have?
4.5.10.142-SIP-UPC is the version i'm running I'm connected via the Uddingston headend. CMTS26 i believe
Old 03-10-2017, 23:31   #68
ccarmock
cf.geek

From memory that is the version I was on before the upgrade to '161' Maybe yours was missed from the last update?

Will see if I can find out if the versions are different for multi static vs single static/dynamic.

Do you have dynamic or single static addressing right now?

If Dynamic do you have the VMB IP Service option on the left hand side when clicking on the Admin tab?
Old 04-10-2017, 00:29   #69
kalleh
cf.addict

Quote:
From memory that is the version I was on before the upgrade to '161' Maybe yours was missed from the last update?

Will see if I can find out if the versions are different for multi static vs single static/dynamic.

If Dynamic do you have the VMB IP Service option on the left hand side when clicking on the Admin tab?
Dynamic. and no option for the VMB IP Service. Even when the Static IP was enabled to begin with the firmware remained the same .142 but obviously the VMB IP Tab was there I have queried there ever being an update to be told what i relayed in the previous post.

Any sort of information regarding this would be helpful.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:45   #70
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

We detected no loss of service last night. Did anyone else and/or has anyone had a firmware upgrade for the Hitron yet?
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 17:13   #71
kalleh
cf.addict

Quote:

To Follow up on this I've been told the switch to multi-static will happen overnight this evening. Hopefully this updates the firmware.

It seems VMB do have some genuine staff who at least make you think things are going to happen or are trying their best to help you.

The majority however I've spoken with so far seem to be good at dodging answering questions and passing the buck.
Old 04-10-2017, 22:09   #72
ccarmock
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by APS View Post
We detected no loss of service last night. Did anyone else and/or has anyone had a firmware upgrade for the Hitron yet?
Yes I had two periods of downtime last night one recorded shortly after midnight, and another at around 3am.

The Hitron firmware has not been upgraded as part of this, but the outage notification I got was that this was to fix a hardware fault.
Old 05-10-2017, 13:56   #73
kalleh
cf.addict

Just to follow up on this.

Multi Static has its own version of firmware which is .161 I had this switched to earlier and took a while to get it fully working but whatever is in this firmware fixes major latency issues. Went from unstable ping to very stable. But instantly ran in to the download speeds issue.

Switched back to single static the modem rebooted with the older firmware. .142

Instantly same latency issues are back and download speeds are just as bad.

Would really like to know what the major changes are in this firmware unless it applies some sort of PUMA 6 fix.

Back to Good download speeds and troubling latency issues on Dynamic we go!
Old 11-10-2017, 14:03   #74
kalleh
cf.addict

Date of Issue 11/10/2017
Planned Work Ref C00857319
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 20/11/2017 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 20/11/2017 06:01

Cable Modem
10 Mins

Got this email today hopefully fixes some issues.
Old 11-10-2017, 14:47   #75
mrdanny
Inactive

mrdanny is an unknown quantity at this point

I had one of those sent to me on the 6th October

NOTIFICATION OF PLANNED WORK

Date of Issue 06/10/2017
Planned Work Ref C******
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 18/11/2017 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 18/11/2017 06:01

With impact time of 15 mins.

I spoke with tech support and they said it is provisioning for the fix of the static IP issues, at this stage they were not saying its the FIX......

At least its something..
mrdanny is offline   Reply With Quote