Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | freeview problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

freeview problem

Old 05-01-2009, 17:22   #1
brooker2006uk
Inactive

brooker2006uk is an unknown quantity at this point
freeview problem

ok i dunno how to fix this problem and i am hoping someone here will. i got an external digital aerial installed 6 months ago and ran a freeview box off it and it works brilliant and is perfect. so last week i bought anoter freeview box for the bedroom and ran the coax cable through the roofspace and down into the living room to where the digital aerial socket is. the problem i have is that the new one i got does not pick up itv 1 or itv 2 or chan 4. when i keep rescaning it eventually finds it but the channels are unwatchable. if one tv running of the digital socket works brill then certainly when i disconnect it and put the new cable in for the new freeview box it should work the same aswell but does not. has anyone any ideas how to fix this
brooker2006uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2009, 17:30   #2
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Smile Re: freeview problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooker2006uk View Post
ok i dunno how to fix this problem and i am hoping someone here will. i got an external digital aerial installed 6 months ago and ran a freeview box off it and it works brilliant and is perfect. so last week i bought anoter freeview box for the bedroom and ran the coax cable through the roofspace and down into the living room to where the digital aerial socket is. the problem i have is that the new one i got does not pick up itv 1 or itv 2 or chan 4. when i keep rescaning it eventually finds it but the channels are unwatchable. if one tv running of the digital socket works brill then certainly when i disconnect it and put the new cable in for the new freeview box it should work the same aswell but does not. has anyone any ideas how to fix this
It may be that by the time the signal has reached your second freeview box it has become degraded.

You might need an amplifier to boost the signal to an acceptable level for your box.

It might also be worth testing the second box at the location of your first Freeview box using the connection there to make sure there is nothing wrong with the second Freeview box itself.

Hope this helps.
ntluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 17:35   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: freeview problem

We had the same problem...so I bought a cheap 2nd hand 4 way masthead amp from ebay, signals now really strong on all four tv points in the house at the same time

It could also be though that a higher gain antenna could do the same as long as you use an isolating splitter
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 18:10   #4
brooker2006uk
Inactive

i tested the box at the point where the other freeview box is and it is working perfect. so what would be the best way to go from here
Old 05-01-2009, 18:16   #5
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

You cannot daisy-chain aerial connections. I suggest you get your installer back and ask him to sort it.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 18:19   #6
brooker2006uk
Inactive

right but the freeview box which was working fine i unplugged and then run the one i am trying to get working straight into the digital socket so the signal is not being split in any way or form. when doing this it is not picking up itv and chan 4. when i do the same thing to the other freeview box downstairs it works fine
Old 06-01-2009, 13:16   #7
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Smile Re: freeview problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooker2006uk View Post
right but the freeview box which was working fine i unplugged and then run the one i am trying to get working straight into the digital socket so the signal is not being split in any way or form. when doing this it is not picking up itv and chan 4. when i do the same thing to the other freeview box downstairs it works fine
The signal is probably degraded at the second location and cannot be read clearly by your box.

You could turn off the power to your Freeview box and reboot it to see if the auto setup can find the missing channels.

Failing that, like the guys have said, you will need to get an aerial amplifier, a better aerial or both. Either way, it's probably a job for an installer.

Hope this helps.
ntluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 14:59   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Daisychained or not the co-ax itself will attenuate the signal dependant on length and what grade it is... The 2nd socket might have a slightly longer run or be cheaper co-ax... Also to be aware is that different freeview boxes will each have a differing sensitivity..

Best to go back to either where the link is (or right back to the masthead for even better signal) and install an amplified distribution hub..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 00:47   #9
John Millbrook
Inactive

Services: Black&White TV / Wire Coathanger
John Millbrook is an unknown quantity at this point

If your Freeview box has a signal stength meter (I think most do), you can compare the signal stength using your new box at both locations, tuned to the same channel (preferably a strong one). If the new location's signal strength is weaker, a booster may help to achieve the required level.
John Millbrook is offline   Reply With Quote