Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview area problem!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freeview area problem!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:23   #1
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2
Freeview area problem!

Now with the looming digital switchover (ok not till 2011/12) i've been looking into problems that i might come across.
i have vm at the moment so not really a problem but if i couldn't afford it for any reason then what would i do.
now to start with when i put my postcode into freeview it say's that i connot get freeview now nor will i get it in the future (i take it's because i live in a valley not in wales!!)
i can't have freesat as we are in protected area and not allowed to have a dish.
and bt have said they canot supply bt vision or bb to us as we are too far from the exchange (not sure if this correct as i don't know how it works)

so my question is how am i supposed to get digital tv once it is switched over ??
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2008, 10:06   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Freeview area problem!

move house?
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:35   #3
saabmania2

saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
move house?
lol
i have said that if i do move house again it would be to new zealand you never know i might have more luck getting some sort of freeview out there. i would probably pick up the uk's freeview with a coat hanger from there
Old 02-11-2008, 11:12   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Could you not have a dish and put it somewhere hidden or disguise the dish.

I'm also having the same issue with Freeview. I'm in an area where the street next door will get it but I'm just off the map and will only get a few channels.
I'ts the same with standard TV, I'm in the East midlands however I receive west Midlands news however much I wave my aerial about.

I wonder if when I get virginmedia TV installed I will be able to choose my regional channel as I don't want to get Birmoingham news, I want East Midlands news.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:32   #5
demented
Inactive

Services: 4Mbs, V+, XLtv + premium channels.
demented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud of

I wouldn't use the freeview checker, it is not particularly accurate (it did after all used to say I could not get freeview for many years which was cobblers). Use a more sophisticated checker such as wolfbane http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe? and post the results.
demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:58   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If you can;t get freeview due to location and nothing to do with antenna restrictions then there's always freesat
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 14:00   #7
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabmania2 View Post
Now with the looming digital switchover (ok not till 2011/12) i've been looking into problems that i might come across.
i have vm at the moment so not really a problem but if i couldn't afford it for any reason then what would i do.
now to start with when i put my postcode into freeview it say's that i connot get freeview now nor will i get it in the future (i take it's because i live in a valley not in wales!!)
i can't have freesat as we are in protected area and not allowed to have a dish.
and bt have said they canot supply bt vision or bb to us as we are too far from the exchange (not sure if this correct as i don't know how it works)

so my question is how am i supposed to get digital tv once it is switched over ??
In what way is it a protected area? A Sky minidish on the front of the house pointed to the right satellite should be easily sufficient to receive Freesat.

Your only way at the moment is to stick with Virgin Media.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 15:38   #8
saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Could you not have a dish and put it somewhere hidden or disguise the dish.
I'm also having the same issue with Freeview. I'm in an area where the street next door will get it but I'm just off the map and will only get a few channels.
I'ts the same with standard TV, I'm in the East midlands however I receive west Midlands news however much I wave my aerial about.

I wonder if when I get virginmedia TV installed I will be able to choose my regional channel as I don't want to get Birmoingham news, I want East Midlands news.
no cause the neighbours round hear are all fuddy duddys and will just complain they have nothing better to do than report you for everything they are not happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
If you can;t get freeview due to location and nothing to do with antenna restrictions then there's always freesat
hi kymmy,
as i said i can't have a dish as the area im in is protected plus it is a listed property and the council round here won't allow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Machine View Post
In what way is it a protected area? A Sky minidish on the front of the house pointed to the right satellite should be easily sufficient to receive Freesat.

Your only way at the moment is to stick with Virgin Media.
hmmm and that's my point i was led to beleve from all the govenment hipe that freeview would be avalable to everyone by 2012. seems that might not be the case and if so i will be pushing for something else to happen like not paying my tv licence as i won't be in an area that can receive it. if i have to pay for digital on other means there should be some sort of compensation package.
Old 02-11-2008, 15:46   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Sat dishes do NOT have to be on the side of the wall, quite a few people have them at the bottom of the garden which is protected areas is acceptable if not visible
Old 02-11-2008, 15:50   #10
demented
Inactive

demented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud of

Saabmania2, could you please try out wolfbane or some similar site. I've had plenty of people repeat local urban myths that they can't get freeview and the majority of them turn out to be untrue. I've only met 1 person who can genuinely not get freeview (they only get 1 multiplex as they are in a deep hollowed out valley). I'd be interested to know what it said .

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Sat dishes do NOT have to be on the side of the wall, quite a few people have them at the bottom of the garden which is protected areas is acceptable if not visible
Precisely. If you have a high up window facing directly in the right direction you could try putting the dish on the inside too (borrow a portable dish and try it).
Old 02-11-2008, 16:00   #11
saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented View Post
Saabmania2, could you please try out wolfbane or some similar site. I've had plenty of people repeat local urban myths that they can't get freeview and the majority of them turn out to be untrue. I've only met 1 person who can genuinely not get freeview (they only get 1 multiplex as they are in a deep hollowed out valley). I'd be interested to know what it said .

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

Precisely. If you have a high up window facing directly in the right direction you could try putting the dish on the inside too (borrow a portable dish and try it).
Bearing in mind this is the transmitter i am on at the moment with a new arial put up about 6 months ago and it is an amplified high gain and we can bearly pick up BBC1 OR BBC2 with it.
Transmitter 1: BBC 2: Digital 3 & 4 A: SDN B: BBC C: NG Wireless D: NG Wireless Gp Pol OS grid ref. OD
m Field
dBµV/m Distance
miles Bearing
degrees Antenna
(suggestion)
UHF ERP
W AOD
m UHF ERP
W AOD
m UHF ERP
W AOD
m UHF ERP
W AOD
m UHF ERP
W AOD
m UHF ERP
W AOD
m
Brighton Whitehawk Hill 66 200 172 50 400 169 55 200 172 48 1k 172 58 400 172 61 400 172 CD V TQ330045 121 29 5 109 Amplified extra hi-gain

as for the sat dish in the window we live in a bungalow and the last thing i want to sit and look at is a disgusting dish (there bad enough on the outside let alone in your living room)

anyway i might look into putting a dish up down the garden, as our garden is hidden from everyone that might just be a way of getting round it.
Old 02-11-2008, 16:05   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

How about this THREAD
Old 02-11-2008, 16:12   #13
demented
Inactive

Analogue bearing does not have complete correlation to digital services at all. In all of the places I've ever lived there has been a poor, snowy analogue picture on some channels. Why not borrow a friend's digibox and see if it works? Is your aerial pointing at the primary transmitter or the local one?
Old 02-11-2008, 16:13   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I believe the Freeview predictors which say there are no future plans are referring only to the period ahead of digital switchover.

If you are in a valley, then your analogue terrestrial reception will be coming from a relatively low-powered repeater, or fill-in transmitter. Most of these transmitters don't have the capacity to carry both Freeview and analogue signals, so they will have no Freeview until digital switchover actually occurs in your area, at which point they will lose analogue and gain Freeview at the same time.

So you don't need to worry, you will be able to get digital TV at your home, you may just have to wait a while.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 16:27   #15
demented
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I believe the Freeview predictors which say there are no future plans are referring only to the period ahead of digital switchover.

If you are in a valley, then your analogue terrestrial reception will be coming from a relatively low-powered repeater, or fill-in transmitter. Most of these transmitters don't have the capacity to carry both Freeview and analogue signals, so they will have no Freeview until digital switchover actually occurs in your area, at which point they will lose analogue and gain Freeview at the same time.

So you don't need to worry, you will be able to get digital TV at your home, you may just have to wait a while.
Yes I would echo what chris has said. On wolfbane they haven't enabled the post switch over coverage predictor yet. Currently the official figure is something like 73% of the country can get freeview. After 2012 it will be in the 90%s. The wolfbane stuff you posted is currently a field strength of 29. That is certainly low but people have had digital working fine on that field strength level. You are 5 miles from the transmitter. If you actually look at your transmitters data you will see what the power levels of the muxes are 3 are on 400Watts, two are on 200Watts and the other 1000 Watts. When things get sorted out the new average will be 4000 Watts. It seems fairly likely to me looking at those figures that freeview will work now with a quality aerial but even if it didn't it should most certainly after switch over.