Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Old 22-11-2017, 18:11   #151
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Apparently, reports on the web say that VM & ITV signed a ten year deal in 2015.

Info. courtesy of MB.

If that is true then surely ITV haven't got a leg to stand on (not that I think they have anyway).
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2017, 18:13   #152
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Apparently, reports on the web say that VM & ITV signed a ten year deal in 2015.

Info. courtesy of MB.
I think that deal related to ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and ITV Be.

The main ITV channel was not part of any deal as far as I am aware from what I have read. Of course, the public service requirements regarding the duty to broadcast free of charge on all platforms and to take a prominent position in the EPG is laid down separately.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 18:39   #153
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

The 2015 deal seems to have only been for the main PSB channel. Press reports earlier this year suggested the carriage deal for ITV's other channels was due for renewal in September. Presumably ITV's position was "pay for the main ITV channel, or lose all the others".

If September is correct, I guess there has been some kind of temporary agreement to continue distribution of the other channels

http://www.businessinsider.com/itv-c...n-media-2017-5
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 17:44   #154
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think that deal related to ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and ITV Be.

The main ITV channel was not part of any deal as far as I am aware from what I have read. Of course, the public service requirements regarding the duty to broadcast free of charge on all platforms and to take a prominent position in the EPG is laid down separately.
Yes, the information was regarding ITV2 etc.

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
The 2015 deal seems to have only been for the main PSB channel. Press reports earlier this year suggested the carriage deal for ITV's other channels was due for renewal in September. Presumably ITV's position was "pay for the main ITV channel, or lose all the others".

If September is correct, I guess there has been some kind of temporary agreement to continue distribution of the other channels

http://www.businessinsider.com/itv-c...n-media-2017-5
If it was the case that the September 2015 deal was in fact for ITV (1) only, I guess that this agreement has presumably been superceded by the change in the law.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 18:53   #155
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If it was the case that the September 2015 deal was in fact for ITV (1) only, I guess that this agreement has presumably been superceded by the change in the law.
My assumption is that the existing ITV (1) agreement stands from a legal perspective, but ITV are trying to use the other channels as a bargaining chip to renege on the 10 year agreement now they can legally charge for retransmission.
Old 23-11-2017, 21:21   #156
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
My assumption is that the existing ITV (1) agreement stands from a legal perspective, but ITV are trying to use the other channels as a bargaining chip to renege on the 10 year agreement now they can legally charge for retransmission.
4 words come to mind when re-sorted

Court You In See
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 19:54   #157
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

ITV is just overflowing with dross which I never watch, so I won't miss it at all.

But if Virgin do pay up, they will no doubt pass on the cost to subscribers even if we don't want it!

Exactly as they did with the BT Sports channels.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 19:57   #158
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
ITV is just overflowing with dross which I never watch, so I won't miss it at all.

But if Virgin do pay up, they will no doubt pass on the cost to subscribers even if we don't want it!

Did they?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 20:06   #159
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

They've done a few good dramas, to be fair, but I watch only a minimal amount of output from that channel.

By far the most watched channels in this house are BBC 1 and 2, Sky Atlantic (via Now TV), Netflix and Amazon. My wife also watches TLC and Lifetime quite a lot.

If ITV want to take away their presence on Virgin Media in a fit of pique, I'm not really bothered, although to be fair I can still watch all their channels on Freeview if I want to as I have an aerial and a DVD recorder.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

Quote:

Well, the cost of TV subscriptions did not go up when the BT Sport channels arrived on our screens. They simply became part of the package.
Old 27-01-2018, 20:19   #160
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

I think the £3pm increase to the XL TV package for the launch of BT Sport Europe is what Taf's referring to.

Here's the Daily Mail's latest take on the ITV situation (nothing really new in the article apart, perhaps, for a few words from David Bouchier)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mar...le-Virgin.html
Old 27-01-2018, 20:25   #161
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Take it off l say as it will hurt ITV far more then it will hit Virgin..
Old 28-01-2018, 00:03   #162
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Agreed, Den. Virgin should remain firm.
Old 28-01-2018, 13:29   #163
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I think the £3pm increase to the XL TV package for the launch of BT Sport Europe is what Taf's referring to.
Yes, that's it. VM said they "assumed all subscribers were willing to pay for it". But many of us weren't but they would not remove the extra charge.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 13:33   #164
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The World Cup is where it might hurt VM and it's customers. (unless they have freeview )

Last edited by Mr K; 28-01-2018 at 13:40.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 13:40   #165
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Offer other channels 103 & 113 & send ITV1 down in the 170s with the rest of their channels. See how they like that!
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote