Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview-HD to launch in 2009

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Freeview-HD to launch in 2009

Old 27-10-2008, 08:20   #16
c1rcle
Inactive

c1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to all
Re: Freeview-HD to launch in 2009

How can I put this clearly? I watched an HD filmed programme on Saturday evening on my non-HD CRT TV without the aid of an HD decoder, the picture was very nice, clear, sharp & very colourful. Can someone convincingly explain why I need to buy a new TV to watch HD?
c1rcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-10-2008, 08:24   #17
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Because simply on a normal TV it's NOT HD....

A normal TV does about 600 lines horizontal where as a 1080 HD TV does 1080 lines... You;re talking about twice the definition... Not really an issue if you;re watching it on a 20" but if you go upto 30"-40"+ then the difference between a normal signal and a HD signal is really noticable
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 09:30   #18
c1rcle
Inactive

c1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to all

Actually I was watching on a 32" CRT & the picture was crystal clear.
c1rcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 10:00   #19
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

CRTs are best for "normal" telly, end of. The flatscreens can't compare, and I half-wonder whether they deliberately put a bad SD scaler in them to convince people it's worth switching to HD. I had a great 32" flatscreen that whilst connected to Freeview was damn near perfect, connected to Xbox360 looked even better!
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 11:40   #20
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I've just bought a new model Sony LCD 40w4500 and with the picture calibrated its far better than any CRT i've seen on freeview and SD virgin media, with the exception of a few very low bitrate channels which look crap, although you get used to this very quickly. Hopefully it'll look far better upscaled with a V+.