Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM's new Freestyle tariffs!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

VM's new Freestyle tariffs!!

Old 15-01-2015, 08:25   #16
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: VM's new Freestyle tariffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
O2 did it and it was considered a 'good thing', so much so they restricted it to direct sales only to tease people away from independents.
I find it usually highlights the fact your better buying a phone sim free with the silly RRP prices
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2015, 15:45   #17
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

One thing's for sure, whichever way you look at it the days of the ridiculous loss-leading subsidies on handsets are over.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:52   #18
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
O2 did it and it was considered a 'good thing', so much so they restricted it to direct sales only to tease people away from independents.
It is a good thing, in my view anyway.

It means you know exactly what you're paying for the phone itself, rather than the illusion that it is free. It was never free, but paid for over the course of the contract. Now it's just transparent, with the bonus of being able to pay for the phone itself to get an upgrade.

I've just upgraded to a G3 with the phone part costing me £15 a month over 2 years, a total of £360. Yes a little higher than the best price online of £300, but much easier for me to handle than a big lump sum.

I think VM Freestyle is also great, but I cannot fathom why you would fail a credit check despite being a long term customer, that's just perverse frankly.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 17:05   #19
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Its because its not just an internal credit check. But a full on external reference performed.

As the phone part is actually a loan of sorts.
Old 15-01-2015, 18:07   #20
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Its because its not just an internal credit check. But a full on external reference performed.

As the phone part is actually a loan of sorts.
Ah, that makes sense, as I had to agree to a loan contract to get this phone too.

However, I wasn't credit checked, or at least the operator on the phone when I upgraded glossed over it as I was only asked to confirm that I could afford the contract, that was it.

I would say to phone VM to ask if they could override the credit check based on your long standing account but I suspect I know the answer. I really hate these checks when they fail you despite a current contract that you're clearly paying with no problem! Computer says no should not be the be all when it comes to this sort of thing.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 18:53   #21
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

You would definitely have been credit checked and if he didn't tell you then am sure some rules were broken.

I've already tried that and stated that existing customer for years and I pay the same per month on my existing account. However he said they can't skip it or work round it.
He even told me I am C5 on their records which is the highest rating but in the case of freestyle they have to go by the external credit rating.
Old 16-01-2015, 15:48   #22
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Hah excellent. If they do any of this to me my solution is really simple - I take my business elsewhere immediately. Do not pass go do not collect anything. I haven't paid VMobile late once in 4 years, so it's their problem if they have changed their criteria.

Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 16:33   #23
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

The way these schemes work (both in VM's case and O2's case) is that they've just shrugged off the entire responsibility for providing you with a handset to somebody else, in this cause a pseudo-bank set up by Virgin group to provide financial services. They are now quite literally operating as a broker in order to get you to apply for a loan from a third-party company.

Frankly the separation of a plain credit agreement (loan) for your handset and an airtime agreement for your airtime is a huge step forward considering all the awkward legal complexities and loopholes involved in selling a 'Free' handset with a subsidised-airtime contract. It provides more clarity for both the consumer and the retailer, although not all changes are to the customer's benefit - it's a lot easier to contest the handset part of the contract if you have a faulty handset for example, which was previously a rather obnoxious position to be in if you didn't purchase your handset directly from the network.
Old 16-01-2015, 16:47   #24
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Oh I absolutely understand how they work, it's made pretty clear by that the credit agreement is for the cost of the handset rather than any ongoing costs of service provision, however I don't actually care how they work, merely how they impact me personally.

If they cause me grief I'm off

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Just linked this thread to their social media team.

While I appreciate the reason for the new checks, it doesn't change that it's a 'back end' process, and something the customer shouldn't be exposed to.

Virgin Mobile have always taken the risk on customers not paying for their handsets by defaulting on contracts, they appear to be trying to outsource that risk and the new credit checks are a part of that.

Where this policy causes customers grief they can and should complain.
Old 16-01-2015, 17:30   #25
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
While I appreciate the reason for the new checks, it doesn't change that it's a 'back end' process, and something the customer shouldn't be exposed to.
I think that's where our interpretations differ. To me I see it as a new service. Mainly, because i'm interpreting it the same way as per O2's 'Refresh' service launched a few years ago. Although in O2's case, you could still purchase traditional/all-in-one contracts via independents, VM customers don't have that luxury because I don't think they sell contract upgrades via independents.

It's not just 'the same thing under a different name' but rather a completely different type of mobile service - change tariff at any time, upgrade whenever you want, etc. etc. - a bit like T-Mobile's old Flext tariffs. While they may be criticised for withdrawing the old options and not giving customers a choice, I see it as novel enough that customers should be aware of and have full exposure to the fact that it is a different service and thus the checks works differently.

Ultimately VM are within their rights to change their credit-check criteria at any time they feel like, whether or not they're selling a new service that justifies the changes. Many operators routinely do so year to year. After all banks can and do still refuse people because their credit records are too good.

Quote:
Virgin Mobile have always taken the risk on customers not paying for their handsets by defaulting on contracts, they appear to be trying to outsource that risk and the new credit checks are a part of that.
In this case the risk isn't being outsourced much as it seems the finance company ("Virgin Media Mobile Finance Limited") is owned and run by themselves anyway.
Old 16-01-2015, 19:09   #26
Ignitionnet
Inactive

It's still a service supplied to the end user by Virgin Mobile. However they are managing things internally there is no reason to credit check customers again beyond 'process'. They should have all the information required to form an internal assessment of credit risk based on an existing customer's payment profile.

They are obviously within their rights to change their credit criteria, doesn't mean customers have to like it.
Old 16-01-2015, 21:25   #27
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

AS I see it, I have been told I am classed in their highest block of customers with a C5 rating and 4 contracts on the go with them.

However I can't upgrade my main phone now due to their new way of doing things. Having seen thread on the community forums I am not alone in this. Loyal for years and now a credit check deems me unable to afford it. Even though I am paying the same on that phone as it is now, along with three other phones.

So really their internal credit scoring is now utterly pointless as they are relying on an external credit check for ALL upgrades and new contracts.

I feel there should be allowances or a different process for existing long term customers.
Old 16-01-2015, 21:38   #28
Ignitionnet
Inactive

You'll probably find that the external credit scoring sees you as having too many outgoings with those contracts and rejects you.
Old 16-01-2015, 21:41   #29
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Which is where that process is flawed.

I am not taking out anything extra but taking a new phone on an EXISTING service.
Old 16-01-2015, 23:11   #30
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
You'll probably find that the external credit scoring sees you as having too many outgoings with those contracts and rejects you.
Lol