Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Carphone Warehouse vs. Virgin Mobile - Help!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Carphone Warehouse vs. Virgin Mobile - Help!!

Old 08-01-2015, 10:52   #1
Micky Finn
Inactive

Micky Finn has a spectacular aura about themMicky Finn has a spectacular aura about themMicky Finn has a spectacular aura about themMicky Finn has a spectacular aura about them
Carphone Warehouse vs. Virgin Mobile - Help!!

I'm at a loss with this one. Bought an upgrade handset for my Virgin payg sim last week from CPW - met all their criteria (musn't have upgraded in last 90 days/must have made a paying call in last 90 days) but when I checked their website, the same handset upgrade was £10 cheaper.

Returned the unopened phone to CPW for a full refund, but when I tried to buy again via their website, got a message saying 'We are sorry, but this number is unfortunately not due for an upgrade right now.' So obviously having the money refunded doesn't cancel the 'upgrade' on their systems.

Spoke to CPW CS at great length who are adamant, and will not move on this, that it is only Virgin who can "reset the upgrade eligibility date" (their words) for my phone number. Even before I called Virgin to check this, it did seem ridiculous to say the least - while VM could verify a number had been used to make a paying call, how could they possibly keep tabs on what handset I was putting the sim card in??

I could buy a new handset every day from any number of shops and put my sim in, if I had the funds - how on earth could Virgin police that?? Anyway, this was all endorsed by the various VM CS staff I've spoken to this week, one of whom even used the word 'nonsensical' to describe CPW's claims.

But I've been back to CPW several times and they are completely adamant it is VM's responsibility. So I'm stuck - can't now upgrade the handset at CPW....even at the higher price instore. Has anyone come across this ludicrous concept before?

Any way round it? I've let CPW know, in some rather fruity anglo-saxon, what I think of their customer services - I know that won't solve the problem, but it doesn't half make you feel better about it.
Micky Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2015, 12:07   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Carphone Warehouse vs. Virgin Mobile - Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Finn View Post
Even before I called Virgin to check this, it did seem ridiculous to say the least
Not ridiculous at all. This is exactly how it works on all networks.

Quote:
while VM could verify a number had been used to make a paying call, how could they possibly keep tabs on what handset I was putting the sim card in??
Your handset must provide it's serial number to VM before it can connect to VM's network.

Quote:
I could buy a new handset every day from any number of shops and put my sim in, if I had the funds - how on earth could Virgin police that??
By blocking your handset.

Quote:
Anyway, this was all endorsed by the various VM CS staff I've spoken to this week, one of whom even used the word 'nonsensical' to describe CPW's claims.
VM's staff have been known to tell untruths. Particularly offshore. But based on your arrogance above, it would seem you're explaining it the wrong way to them and they are misunderstanding the situation.

Quote:
But I've been back to CPW several times and they are completely adamant it is VM's responsibility.
It IS VM's responsibility.

Quote:
So I'm stuck - can't now upgrade the handset at CPW....even at the higher price instore. Has anyone come across this ludicrous concept before?
Yes. It's called how the entire UK mobile industry works.

Quote:
Any way round it? I've let CPW know, in some rather fruity anglo-saxon, what I think of their customer services - I know that won't solve the problem, but it doesn't half make you feel better about it.
Tell VM to fix it. Although to be fair, it may have been CPW's omission that caused it, either way only VM can fix it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:22   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

... and, further to the above, I'd say if you have sufficient pocket money to upgrade your handset, rather than simply replace one that's broken, just put it down to experience if you later discover you didn't get the best deal.

Paying over the odds by £10 is annoying, but how much did you pay for the handset in total?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:34   #4
Micky Finn
Inactive

Micky Finn has a spectacular aura about themMicky Finn has a spectacular aura about themMicky Finn has a spectacular aura about themMicky Finn has a spectacular aura about them

Wow! You're a happy-go-lucky sort!! Nothing like a bit of infantile patronising, eh? I'd be grateful if you didn't come back with that sort of nonsense next time. Could you possibly flag up where, exactly, I displayed any arrogance in the post above? I spent much of my holidays on the phone to CS at both parties, basically being passed from pillar to post with no resolution in sight. You'll forgive me if I became a little frustrated by the process. Far from explaining the situation wrongly to VM, they had the whole story, verbatim, including full transcripts of conversations between myself and CPW and any emails forwarded on to them. So no, not wrongly - don't jump in again without checking some facts, please. I rather naively thought this forum, and others like it, was the sort of place one could come for some helpful advice; on the contrary, it seems self-importance is the prevailing currency....

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
... and, further to the above, I'd say if you have sufficient pocket money to upgrade your handset, rather than simply replace one that's broken, just put it down to experience if you later discover you didn't get the best deal.

Paying over the odds by £10 is annoying, but how much did you pay for the handset in total?
Thanks Chris, for a more sober response. Believe me, I now wish I'd kept the handset from the original purchase!! It wasn't a huge amount, but money is tight here at the moment, so £10 is £10, as someone probably said. Once.
Old 08-01-2015, 13:07   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Wow! You're a happy-go-lucky sort!! Nothing like a bit of infantile patronising, eh? I'd be grateful if you didn't come back with that sort of nonsense next time. Could you possibly flag up where, exactly, I displayed any arrogance in the post above?
You claimed CPW's explanation is "ridiculous" without realising it's exactly and entirely true.

You claimed VM 'couldn't possibly' do something that is a very fundamental and basic component of how mobile networks work.

You call a concept 'ludicrous' even though it's the entire basis of how the UK mobile market works.

Quote:
I spent much of my holidays on the phone to CS at both parties, basically being passed from pillar to post with no resolution in sight. You'll forgive me if I became a little frustrated by the process.
Your frustration is perfectly justified. Your rants about CPW's explanation being 'ridiculous' 'ludicrous' and 'fruity anglo saxon' are not. You insist on blaming CPW when they're just following the process dictated to them by VM, and refuse to accept the truth.

Ironically it seems that you blaming and patronising CPW for something that VM needs to fix is more important to you than actually getting to the bottom of the situation.

Quote:
Far from explaining the situation wrongly to VM, they had the whole story, verbatim, including full transcripts of conversations between myself and CPW and any emails forwarded on to them. So no, not wrongly - don't jump in again without checking some facts, please
Seeing as the only 'fact' you've presented so far is the fact that you've completely misunderstood the situation and haven't the faintest clue how the process works, what other 'facts' am I supposed to check?

Quote:
it seems self-importance is the prevailing currency....
Sorry, your self-importance is not accepted as payment for my services. Acceptable payment methods are:
Paypal
Bitcoin
Mod edit.
Old 08-01-2015, 13:37   #6
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I suggest that some of you step away from this thread and calm down before the baiting and flaming get out of order..If you can't then I can see the frack hammer somewhere in your futures.
Old 08-01-2015, 13:56   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Thanks Chris, for a more sober response. Believe me, I now wish I'd kept the handset from the original purchase!! It wasn't a huge amount, but money is tight here at the moment, so £10 is £10, as someone probably said. Once.
Indeed, and I'd be the last person to advise wasting money unnecessarily. The trick is not to waste even more in trying to put things right. I hope it works out for you.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 14:17   #8
Micky Finn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I suggest that some of you step away from this thread and calm down before the baiting and flaming get out of order..If you can't then I can see the frack hammer somewhere in your futures.
Thank you Maggy.
Old 08-01-2015, 19:43   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Added some paragraphs to make the first posts easier to read.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:42   #10
Micky Finn
Inactive

Latest bits of correspondence;

From CPW

"I'm sorry to hear about the issues your having with getting your pay and go upgrade. I understand this can be frustrating and I apologise.

Pay and go upgrades can be processed only at the consent of the network. Your information is entered onto our system along with the mobile number and this confirms with the network that you are eligible to upgrade. There are criteria that need to be met in order to qualify and the network confirm this.

Carphone Warehouse cannot see if you have previous upgraded through another retailer, and we cannot see if you have made a call within 90 days. both of these are confirmed by the network, in this instance Virgin.

I've included a link to the FAQ page outlining pay and go upgrades and what criteria need to be met in order for an upgrade to be processed. please click here to view.

To upgrade on Virgin you much not have upgraded in the last 6 months, or it be at least 6 months since joining Virgin. and a fully chargeable, connected call made within the last 90 days. This is the information that is confirmed by Virgin when we process the upgrade eligibility check. The response from the checks to Virgin state you are not eligible to upgrade. This I what we need Virgin to confirm you can do before the upgrade can be processed and is the reason we cannot process your deal at this time.

In order to process your pay and go upgrade we need Virgin to re-set upgrade eligibility date."

And from VM;

" I'm really sorry about this

I'm afraid there's nothing we can do from our side to change this. I've never heard of anything like us resetting an eligibilty date for an upgrade.

As this is Carphone Warehouses system, we've got no control over this from our side. As you mentioned, we can't check what handset you're placing the sim into.

I really hope you have some good luck and get this all sorted with them. Please keep me updated with how you get on."

So despite all the sound and fury in those earlier replies, it's not quite as straightforward to sort as some believe. Rational views welcome!
Old 10-01-2015, 23:49   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

The CPW response confirms precisely what I stated above. The VM response is incorrect, as you've already been told.

CPW have no obligation to upgrade you without VM's permission as VM would refuse to pay them so they'd just be giving away their own money.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:44   #12
Micky Finn
Inactive

Pay them what?? For what??? I'm buying the handset from CPW!

Given that I've spoken to around seven different 'areas' of VM's CS about this, could you possibly offer a suggestion as to which dept would action this?
Old 11-01-2015, 08:56   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

What phone do you want? It may be cheaper elsewhere.

Why are you tied to virgin? They are not the cheapest out there

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

Quote:

Given that I've spoken to around seven different 'areas' of VM's CS about this, could you possibly offer a suggestion as to which dept would action this?
If they give you a discount for upgrading your phone the Payment comes from virgin mobile
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 15:54   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You're buying a handset at far below it's retail value. What, do you think when you get a 'Free' contract handset from CPW they're just giving away free phones for fun?

Quote:
The Upgrades department or complaints/executive office.
Old 11-01-2015, 16:34   #15
Micky Finn
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
What, do you think when you get a 'Free' contract handset from CPW they're just giving away free phones for fun?

The Upgrades department or complaints/executive office.
No, that would be just stupid I have spoken to both the upgrades dept and VM head office who both deny any responsibility and state, unequivocally, that it is only CPW who can action this. To be quite honest, I'm past caring now; just a little baffled how two major companies (and let's face it, this is not Mobile-u-like Unlocking Services we're talking about!) can't get a story straight between them.