Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky vs Virgin - Futureproofing..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky vs Virgin - Futureproofing..

Old 13-05-2013, 16:53   #1
ruddock08
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200 Broadband + BT Whole Home WiFi
ruddock08 is on a distinguished roadruddock08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ruddock08
Sky vs Virgin - Futureproofing..

Not intending to start agressing either service.. but just thought it'd be a quite interesting discussion:

Virgin seem to have their system absolutely future-proof. No need for a dish - that single coaxial cable is able to handle 3 HD streams + a HD stream on demand. In comparison, Sky can only handle 2 HD streams (1 for each cable) - (can watch another HD stream via On Demand - but this is done over your INTERNET connection - not the TV cable!)

Virgin also have the advantage that the weather does not affect their service... Unlike Sky.

On the other side of that, Sky box is much leaner and quicker and Sky have a larger fan-base.

My question really is, yes both platforms are usable right now.. but in the long run.. surely Virgin have the upper hand in terms of future use? Sky are limited by their equipment as it does not run over their connection (whereas Virgin from your home is linked to them)

What do you guys think?
ruddock08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2013, 17:19   #2
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sky vs Virgin - Futureproofing..

Cables major selling point has always been its two way communication which is perfect for On Demand , satellite doesn't have this luxury so requires the user to use a BB connection to access its progressive download On Demand service.

There are already ways to deliver multiple tuners over one satellite cable , Fibre satellite distribution is one method however currently the cost is prohibitively expensive , another method is SAT>IP using IP-LNB , BSKYB was involved with other companies in its development so I'm sure there looking to the future as are VM with the likes of DOCSIS 3.1.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 18:31   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Does VM still use MPEG2, or have they finally moved to MPEG4?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 18:34   #4
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Does VM still use MPEG2, or have they finally moved to MPEG4?
MPEG2 as older boxes aren't capable, only TiVo, Samsung V+ and VHD are
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 18:39   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddock08 View Post
Virgin also have the advantage that the weather does not affect their service... Unlike Sky.
Unless the VM street cabinet is in view of the sun and then stuff inside has been known to get a tad warm
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 18:55   #6
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddock08 View Post
Not intending to start agressing either service.. but just thought it'd be a quite interesting discussion:

What do you guys think?
Not aware of weather problems...unless the sky falls down on me...as henny penny would say

http://www.authorama.com/english-fairy-tales-23.html
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 20:39   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Not aware of weather problems...unless the sky falls down on me...as henny penny would say

http://www.authorama.com/english-fairy-tales-23.html
Its amazing isn't it Colin how many times the weather issue gets reiterated on this forum , in my many years of having satellite I can count on one hand the amount of weather related issues I've had , the last one was during the blizzard conditions last year.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 20:42   #8
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Its amazing isn't it Colin how many times the weather issue gets reiterated on this forum , in my many years of having satellite I can count on one hand the amount of weather related issues I've had , the last one was during the blizzard conditions last year.
I agree. Only 3 times in 14 months have i been affected by weather and the total amount of minutes is no more than 30 mins
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 21:23   #9
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
I agree. Only 3 times in 14 months have i been affected by weather and the total amount of minutes is no more than 30 mins
It is a virgin chat forum, so not too surprised things get exaggerated. After all, "coming soon" has new meaning for Virgin
Old 13-05-2013, 22:39   #10
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
It is a virgin chat forum, so not too surprised things get exaggerated. After all, "coming soon" has new meaning for Virgin
Loooool
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 01:07   #11
Tali
cf.addict

Tali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about them

I prefer cable to satellite, mainly because there is no dish and the OD selection is (was?) larger. I know Sky use the internet, but I do like the option to download an OD item and have it sitting on the planner waiting for someone to watch it.
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 05:07   #12
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tali View Post
I prefer cable to satellite, mainly because there is no dish and the OD selection is (was?) larger. I know Sky use the internet, but I do like the option to download an OD item and have it sitting on the planner waiting for someone to watch it.
you can do that with sky i think...ask those who use it
Old 14-05-2013, 06:10   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Calm down dear as for some people it is a issue and should be mentioned.

---------- Post added at 06:10 ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 ----------

Quote:
Such eloquent words for one who serves his master well.
Old 14-05-2013, 06:12   #14
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Calm down dear as for some people it is a issue and should be mentioned.
On that basis, I could mention that virgin is crap for gaming, as that was my experience. And i could use that as a point to convince others that virgin is rubbish. (whilst the weather problem is rarely evidenced, and usually hearsay)

Tv is poor choice (oh, another experience I have had)

That leaves broadband overall. I think lots say that BT infinity is a better experience, (so "I" hear).

So only reason you would choose sky, is like apple uses, you think it is best (despite evidence otherwise) and you will only ever choose virgin.

Best statement to cover that, "Bahhh", sheep
Old 14-05-2013, 11:26   #15
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

The weather issue is a none starter that is only mentioned in relation to Sky. It never seems to effect anyone on freesat, or any other free to air satellite set up/system.