Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky TV Installation

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky TV Installation

Old 01-05-2013, 13:44   #1
ruddock08
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200 Broadband + BT Whole Home WiFi
ruddock08 is on a distinguished roadruddock08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ruddock08
Sky TV Installation

Having Sky installed on 13/5 as managed to get 50% off for a year. Sorting this all out for my parents and obviously they're a bit concerned with more cabling and a satellite dish (compared to a single cable from Virgin)

Within reason, will the installer install the dish anywhere of my choosing?
Will the interior cabling be white or black?

Many thanks
ruddock08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2013, 13:56   #2
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Sky TV Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddock08 View Post
Having Sky installed on 13/5 as managed to get 50% off for a year. Sorting this all out for my parents and obviously they're a bit concerned with more cabling and a satellite dish (compared to a single cable from Virgin)

Within reason, will the installer install the dish anywhere of my choosing?
Will the interior cabling be white or black?

Many thanks
I moved to SKY about 5 months ago. I was able to chose the exact spot for my dish. The interior cables are all white.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 14:23   #3
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Most Sky installers use shotgun cable which means 1 cable per box , once the cable is brought into your property the cable splices into two for both your satellite inputs.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 17:30   #4
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Hi Ruddock8, It largely depends on what Sky engineer you get, I wanted a dish on the chimney stack, but was advised that they had to have more than one engineer.

In the end it got put out the front.

The cabling depends on what they have on the van, one word of caution however. If you are having the new HD box, you may have to pay additional money for it, and this is why we sent ours back.

Customer Services told us that it was a free instal but would cost us £70.00 per month, but when it was installed we were told that we would need to pay extra money for additional items - BB, plus BT charge.

If the box installed has a white label on the front of the box, this is where they get you - just be careful.

In the end we stayed with VM
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 18:17   #5
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Just out of curiosity Arthur have you ever had anything that's gone right ? You've moaned about every firm possible on these boards , you must be the most unluckiest man in the world.
Old 01-05-2013, 20:25   #6
ruddock08
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Hi Ruddock8, It largely depends on what Sky engineer you get, I wanted a dish on the chimney stack, but was advised that they had to have more than one engineer.

In the end it got put out the front.

The cabling depends on what they have on the van, one word of caution however. If you are having the new HD box, you may have to pay additional money for it, and this is why we sent ours back.

Customer Services told us that it was a free instal but would cost us £70.00 per month, but when it was installed we were told that we would need to pay extra money for additional items - BB, plus BT charge.

If the box installed has a white label on the front of the box, this is where they get you - just be careful.

In the end we stayed with VM
I'm confused... You had to pay extra for Sky HD even though the box is free?

I have 2 perfect, out of the way and ground floor accessible spots I'd like the dish to go in. Can the dish be installed on a flexi 2 way arm so it can be tilted? And do trees affect the reception at all? Side of my house would be great and is in line of sight, just have a few of the neighbours trees in the way!
Old 01-05-2013, 20:32   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'm confused... You had to pay extra for Sky HD even though the box is free?

I have 2 perfect, out of the way and ground floor accessible spots I'd like the dish to go in. Can the dish be installed on a flexi 2 way arm so it can be tilted? And do trees affect the reception at all? Side of my house would be great and is in line of sight, just have a few of the neighbours trees in the way!
Don't worry about dish positioning , when the installer arrives discuss with him where you'd like it and he'll suggest the best place to you and see if that's acceptable with you.
Old 01-05-2013, 23:18   #8
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

ruddock8, What happened was, the engineer called and l asked him if he could place it on the chimney stack, due to low tree's, he said he couldn't, due to health and safety and needed another engineer.

The dish was eventually placed on the corner of the house. We now have Freesat.

However, recently we wanted to get Sky HD, the instal was free and we were told by CS that it could cost us approxc £70.00 per month which was approved.

When the box was installed, we were told to wait 48 hours to get the benefits of HD, BB etc and Sky anytime.

My wife realised that on the HD box there was a white sticker, she had a look and it stated on the sticker ' call this number to get connected to HD and Anytime' we called the number and we were told that we needed a BT box and two routers, that we would have to buy and call BT Openreach to get BB .

This would have cost us extra money. We called Sky and we were told that the engineer should have explained that to us, as we cannot get the service without it.

We were told this would happen over the next 24 hours, but had to pay up front for the service. We went back to Virgin as we felt we were being ripped off by Sky, and l dont like that - thats why l said be careful and get the facts first from Sky.
Old 02-05-2013, 14:40   #9
ruddock08
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Don't worry about dish positioning , when the installer arrives discuss with him where you'd like it and he'll suggest the best place to you and see if that's acceptable with you.
Problem is.. round the back where the box is going to go, there isn't many places it can go. It's fine having it round the front but he's going to have to cable all the way round my house!

Will be interesting to see how the install compares to Virgin - I've had 3 separate installs at my current house and each time the guys have done a superb job with the drilling, cabling and tacking of the wires!
Old 02-05-2013, 15:51   #10
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Problem is.. round the back where the box is going to go, there isn't many places it can go. It's fine having it round the front but he's going to have to cable all the way round my house!

Will be interesting to see how the install compares to Virgin - I've had 3 separate installs at my current house and each time the guys have done a superb job with the drilling, cabling and tacking of the wires!
The important thing to remember is your the customer , have a chat before he/she starts and tell them your preferred solution , anything your unsure of ask before they start the work and do something your not happy with. I can only speak from my experience at my house however I've had good service on installs from both Sky and VM.
Old 02-05-2013, 19:22   #11
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

When they installed my Sky they threw the cable over the roof, we have had good service from both sky/vm engineers.

BUT, it depends what a day they have had - normally offer tea and biscuits, that normally does the trick.
Old 02-05-2013, 20:28   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
ruddock8, What happened was, the engineer called and l asked him if he could place it on the chimney stack, due to low tree's, he said he couldn't, due to health and safety and needed another engineer.

The dish was eventually placed on the corner of the house. We now have Freesat.

However, recently we wanted to get Sky HD, the instal was free and we were told by CS that it could cost us approxc £70.00 per month which was approved.

When the box was installed, we were told to wait 48 hours to get the benefits of HD, BB etc and Sky anytime.

My wife realised that on the HD box there was a white sticker, she had a look and it stated on the sticker ' call this number to get connected to HD and Anytime' we called the number and we were told that we needed a BT box and two routers, that we would have to buy and call BT Openreach to get BB .

This would have cost us extra money. We called Sky and we were told that the engineer should have explained that to us, as we cannot get the service without it.

We were told this would happen over the next 24 hours, but had to pay up front for the service. We went back to Virgin as we felt we were being ripped off by Sky, and l dont like that - thats why l said be careful and get the facts first from Sky.
Broadband is not needed for Sky HD, only for On Demand (formerly Anytime+).

How long ago was this? Originally, Anytime+ required a Sky Broadband connection, but this was relaxed a fair while back to allow any broadband connection to be used.

Did you initially sign up for Sky Broadband in addition to Sky HD?

Did you not already have a Virgin broadband connection at the time of the installation?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 23:14   #13
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

This happened approx three months ago. The Sky engineer did NOT tell us about the extra's. He only told us it takes 48 hours for everything to go on.

It was customer services that told us about BB via Openreach, EVEN though we had BB from VM, we were told we had to have Sky BB as it was a different cable.

We only gave up Sky, due to the information that we needed extra equipment which would cost us more money.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:31   #14
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
This happened approx three months ago. The Sky engineer did NOT tell us about the extra's. He only told us it takes 48 hours for everything to go on.

It was customer services that told us about BB via Openreach, EVEN though we had BB from VM, we were told we had to have Sky BB as it was a different cable.

We only gave up Sky, due to the information that we needed extra equipment which would cost us more money.
You were misinformed

Sky On Demand (Anytime+) has been available via *any* ISP for around a year... All you would have had to do was connect your Sky+HD box to your existing Virgin cable broadband router.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 16:11   #15
Pog66
Inactive

Services: SKY HD+, BT BB
Pog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
You were misinformed

Sky On Demand (Anytime+) has been available via *any* ISP for around a year... All you would have had to do was connect your Sky+HD box to your existing Virgin cable broadband router.
indeed - I have Sky HD connected to BT broadband for ondemand. Sky do insist on plugging the HD box into a telephone as part of their T&C's and teh engineer is told not to leave it without it plugged in. I might have inadvertantly unplugged the phone line since....
Pog66 is offline   Reply With Quote