Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Group buys ESPN Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

BT Group buys ESPN Channels

Old 25-02-2013, 17:18   #1
dwarven
Inactive

Services: 100mb
dwarven is an unknown quantity at this point
BT Group buys ESPN Channels

ESPN Website. Hmmmm wonder what this means for ESPN on Sky

Quote:
The transaction is expected to complete on July 31, 2013 after which BT will continue to operate at least one ESPN-branded channel which is expected to form part of the BT Sport TV package that will be launched by BT this summer. Additionally, the deal will allow BT to continue to show a host of US sports currently shown on ESPN America, including NCAA College Basketball, NCAA College Football and NASCAR. The ESPN channels will be broadcast from BT Sport's new home in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford. Until completion, the service for current subscribers to the ESPN channels across all television platforms remains unchanged.
dwarven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2013, 17:25   #2
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Re: BT Group buys ESPN Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven View Post
ESPN Website. Hmmmm wonder what this means for ESPN on Sky
I wonder too what this will all mean to us sky subscribers to ESPN once the deal is completed. I hope we get them at the same price at the very least.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 17:30   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
I hope we get them at the same price at the very least.
That very much remains to be seen.
Old 25-02-2013, 18:00   #4
telegramsam
telegramsam

telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That very much remains to be seen.
Yes true. Alot may depend on two factors 1.Sky's power in getting the lowest price posible and 2. BT's strength to get what they want
Old 25-02-2013, 18:00   #5
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

I hope that is good news but no one will really now until nearer the time
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 18:30   #6
telegramsam
telegramsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
I hope that is good news but no one will really now until nearer the time
One good thing,at least it solves the problem about whether you can afford to subscribe to all 3 sports providers or which 1 to drop
Old 25-02-2013, 23:19   #7
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Unlike the other TV providers in the UK SKY have basic and premium channels in SD and HD that BT would like access too. SKY also have a library of on demand content BT would surely like to have also. SKY are in a great position to agree mutually beneficial carriage deal with BT for BT Sports. We know already 100% for sure the channels are coming to SKY, but we don't know at what price.

I can see SKY agreeing a deal for BT to have access to SKY Sports 1 to 4 in HD whilst SKY can offer BT Sports 1 to 3 in HD. I assume as per usual Virgin will just get SD purely on the basis that they have nothing to offer BT.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 23:57   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Chad: You apparently have managed to secure "SKY+HD with SKY World, Boxnation and ESPN". What must-see content did you have to offer in return?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 23:59   #9
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

a discount code.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 00:22   #10
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Chad: You apparently have managed to secure "SKY+HD with SKY World, Boxnation and ESPN". What must-see content did you have to offer in return?
My must see content was my account number and sort code. I only provided this content to SKY upon them providing me with a half price code. SKY was able to offer me something that no other TV provider could. I got exactly what I wanted, at the price I wanted to pay, and SKY got exactly what they wanted.

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/...nce-54004.html

“BT has clearly been frustrated at not being able to access significant elements of Sky’s content and also has experienced Sky’s aggression in the broadband market. BT intends to use its content as a negotiating tool."

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
a discount code.
Bingo
Old 26-02-2013, 05:52   #11
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

I can see SKY agreeing a deal for BT to have access to SKY Sports 1 to 4 in HD whilst SKY can offer BT Sports 1 to 3 in HD. I assume as per usual Virgin will just get SD purely on the basis that they have nothing to offer BT.
Assuming is a very dangerous game Chad as we all know as how do we know that VM have nothing to offer.
Old 26-02-2013, 08:18   #12
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Assuming is a very dangerous game Chad as we all know as how do we know that VM have nothing to offer.
Other than money, what can Virgin Media possibly offer to BT to sweeten a deal?
Old 26-02-2013, 08:30   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Other than money, what can Virgin Media possibly offer to BT to sweeten a deal?
Remember VM will be owned by LG soon and as a result of that they will have far more leverage as a result of that in discussions. with TV providers one suspects.
Old 26-02-2013, 08:33   #14
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Remember VM will be owned by LG soon and as a result of that they will have far more leverage as a result of that in discussions. with TV providers one suspects.
Possibly however I'm still not sure what BT would want from them other than cash.
Old 26-02-2013, 09:00   #15
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
One good thing,at least it solves the problem about whether you can afford to subscribe to all 3 sports providers or which 1 to drop
Not yet it doesnt as no offcial annoument has been made so is still speculation

Quote:
I cant see that Chad. I can see Sky having BT Sports HD but i cant see Sky giving BT Sky Sports 1-4 HD
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote