Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 18 month contract not mentioned

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

18 month contract not mentioned

Old 25-06-2009, 17:44   #1
warriorsq
Inactive

warriorsq is an unknown quantity at this point
18 month contract not mentioned

Hi!
I had a call from Virgin Mobile the other day saying because I was a valued customer I was entitled to deal where I could get a new phone and 100 txt and 100 mins for £8.50 a month. Thing is at no time in our 6-7 min converstation did he mention it tied me to a 18 month contract. I realised there must be a catch, nobody just gives away a phone like that, but even still I feel he must be obliged to inform me by law?. What got me was he even suggested a phone to pick, so I didn't have to go to the website and see I was tying myself in I guess. In the end said I wanted time to think about it, and he is due to ring me back. Am I right to feel slightly missled here?
warriorsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2009, 17:57   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: 18 month contract not mentioned

It says this on the website and when I asked about it they did tell me it was for 18 months.

Introducing the UK's best value monthly tariff for £8.50 a month
Say hello to a brand new phone, plus 100 minutes AND 100 texts, every single month. It doesn't get much better than that!
This tariff is only available on an 18 month contract.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...aymonthlydeals
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 18:06   #3
zing_deleted

do they send a contract out with the phone? this would be the only way some will know if they are sold something by telesales.Although in all fairness one of the questions Id ask would be length of contract
Old 25-06-2009, 18:08   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

I do have my phone with Virgin and a good deal it is as no one can match it.
Old 25-06-2009, 18:27   #5
kirk1690
Inactive

Services: Tivo . Virgin 200 tvL. Virgin Landline, Sky HD variety pack movies and sport.
kirk1690 has a spectacular aura about themkirk1690 has a spectacular aura about themkirk1690 has a spectacular aura about themkirk1690 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
I do have my phone with Virgin and a good deal it is as no one can match it.
great deal this . got one for her indoors and got smashin wee pink slider samsung with the full works which for 8.50 is no bad .
kirk1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 18:34   #6
warriorsq
Inactive

Im not having it cos I don't want a contract,but I still feel during his sales pitch he should mention the contract, and not just pressume people will know they are signing up to one, or waiting for an agreement to drop throught the door. like I said he was telling me what phone he recommended and if I agreed to his recommendation I would not of looked at the website and seen it was contract anyway.
Old 25-06-2009, 18:43   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'm sure if you had said yes the contract term would have been mentioned before it was completed.

Or you could have asked maybe?
Old 25-06-2009, 18:59   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1690 View Post
great deal this . got one for her indoors and got smashin wee pink slider samsung with the full works which for 8.50 is no bad .
The are some nice phones for the price you pay.
Old 26-06-2009, 10:04   #9
smcaul
Inactive

Services: XL BB, Xl TV +Tivo, V+, VHD ,XL Phone, 1Gb Mobile BB, 3 x Virgin Mobiles
smcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nicesmcaul is just really nice

Got to say I put my other half on the £8.50 18 month tariff, got the LG Cookie for her. I was originally just going to get a sim only deal for her and buy a phone outright, but this deal was too good to miss, even if we have to buy out of it after 6 months it is still cheaper then buying a new phone!!! For us it was a no loose deal
smcaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 17:27   #10
easyt
Inactive

Services: 60mb BB L Tv XL landline 3x virgin mobiles 18
easyt is an unknown quantity at this point

it would have told you in the paper copy of the contract you would have received
also as you was doing it over the phone and not in a shop then the distance selling regulations would cover you and you could return the phone and the contract would be cancelled

when i ordered both mine and my mrs phones from virgin on both occasions the sales guy read a big long terms and conditions to me which included that the contract was for 18 months
if you had said yes you wanted the deal he would have read it all out to you
easyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 20:42   #11
warriorsq
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyt View Post
it would have told you in the paper copy of the contract you would have received
also as you was doing it over the phone and not in a shop then the distance selling regulations would cover you and you could return the phone and the contract would be cancelled

when i ordered both mine and my mrs phones from virgin on both occasions the sales guy read a big long terms and conditions to me which included that the contract was for 18 months
if you had said yes you wanted the deal he would have read it all out to you
Thanks for that.

Interesting thing is I got another call the other day and when I said no because I didn't want to be tied to a contract the guy offered to wave the contract but still offer the deal.
Old 13-07-2009, 23:04   #12
graeme2b
Inactive

Services: V+HD, 50MB, Unlimited Phone, Sky+HD 1Tb, Apple iPhone 4, Apple Macbook. TiVo.
graeme2b is on a distinguished roadgraeme2b is on a distinguished road

You have always got 28 days to get out of the contract with Virgin anyway... Even if its in the store....
graeme2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 23:15   #13
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

when i got my phone 2 month ago on the website you got a choice of 12 or 18 month
depending on which phone and tarriff you want
have to say it can't be beat i moved from orange to vm but tried to get orange to match it first... they just laughed