Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Disabling 'reply to all' in Outlook

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

HD Deep clean?

Old 08-03-2004, 19:56   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
HD Deep clean?

You know how when you delete or uninstal something from your pc and no matter how many traces of it you send to your recycle bin and empty, there are still some traces left of it deep in your machine's HD?

Well I remember on downloads.com there was a free programme which allowed you to do a really deep clean of all your deleted and uninstalled crap and free up loads of space on your HD. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, does anyone know of it or another such programme? It was nothing to do with going in to the registry or anything, you'd just press a button and it did it all for you...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2004, 19:57   #2
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HD Deep clean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
You know how when you delete or uninstal something from your pc and no matter how many traces of it you send to your recycle bin and empty, there are still some traces left of it deep in your machine's HD?

Well I remember on downloads.com there was a free programme which allowed you to do a really deep clean of all your deleted and uninstalled crap and free up loads of space on your HD. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, does anyone know of it or another such programme? It was nothing to do with going in to the registry or anything, you'd just press a button and it did it all for you...
Wasnt that called format.com ?
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 20:09   #3
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D

not sure about that , how about a zero fill program , i know maxtor do one
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 20:11   #4
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

I use this http://www.freewarehome.com/ quite often to try out different app I night need
You might find the one you are thinking off or something else?
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 20:13   #5
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

plenty of apps do it try the software made by ibm for their drives (hitachi do it now i think)
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 20:24   #6
magpie
Inactive

magpie is on a distinguished roadmagpie is on a distinguished road

When you delete something, it does indeed remain on your HD, but the space it used is marked as free. This space will then get used whenever the OS requires it. Therefore, I'm not sure how a 'deep cleaning' program could free up loads of space, as in practice, it's already free.

Some space can be gained (though usually not a lot) by removing files previously uninstalled programmes left behind, which are now not needed. I used to use a program called WinOptimizer (for Windows) to do this - I think you may have to pay to use it now though . However, you were talking about freeing up space from deleted files - this is different, as these files still reside on your system, having never been deleted.

The only other thing I can think of is file shredding, where traces of deleted data are removed from the HD by repeatedly writing random bits over them. Again, this will free up no extra HD space (though, if you are bothered about security, you should do this before you ever sell your computer or HD, just to remove the slight possibility of someone finding your old personal data/passwords etc - just formatting the drive actually leaves all the data on it!!).

Hope the helps.
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 20:27   #7
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

It wasn't Ashampoo Win Optimizer by any chance. This was a popular utility for doing what you want although there are many more.
ian@huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 20:30   #8
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie
Some space can be gained (though usually not a lot) by removing files previously uninstalled programmes left behind, which are now not needed. I used to use a program called WinOptimizer (for Windows) to do this - I think you may have to pay to use it now though
that was what I thought Russ meant - redundant DLL's & the like?

<edit> I use jv16 power tools - again you have to pay, now, but it doesn't do the internet optimisation stuff that WinOptimizer does, the registry tool is brilliant, though.
Old 08-03-2004, 20:58   #9
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

You could run the Windows Clean Up util in the system tools menu then a defrag ?
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 21:01   #10
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M
Deleting the file then running a defrag would probably make it impossible to trace.

or get a 14lb sledgehammer if you are really paranoid
Old 08-03-2004, 21:04   #11
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
or get a 14lb sledgehammer if you are really paranoid
I find wiping a large magnet over the hard drive usually works..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 21:16   #12
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

*Wonders what Russ is trying to hide. Could it be that mild mannered Russ is actually Mr Big?
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 21:31   #13
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

here you go russ , this should do it
Old 08-03-2004, 21:48   #14
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers
*Wonders what Russ is trying to hide. Could it be that mild mannered Russ is actually Mr Big?
No, just Mr-parents-only-have-a-crappy-little-4Gb-HD-and-is-looking-to-clear-as-much-space-on-it-as-possible

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 22:14   #15
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers
Or maybe Russ D is a pseudonym for Lex Luthor, and he needs to wipe off old plans for defeating Superman.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote