Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Intermittent speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Intermittent speeds

Old 27-10-2017, 18:00   #1
chunkymonkey
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV XL and Phone Size M and Broadband size L V+HD and VHD
chunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the rough
Intermittent speeds

Hi all

My partner had a new broadband install today on 50MB. However after constantly doing speed tests it’s only showing a download speed of 5MB

Every now and then it shows 45-50MB but not all hovers on 5MB for most speed tests.

Anyone help?
Thanks
chunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-10-2017, 18:42   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Intermittent speeds

which site are you using for your speed test and what are you doing it on? A pc which has a wired connection to the shub or a phone which is connected wirelessly?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 18:59   #3
chunkymonkey
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV XL and Phone Size M and Broadband size L V+HD and VHD
chunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the rough

It’s a wireless connection - I know I probably need to do a wired connection but I have a MacBook Air without an Ethernet port!

The site is Speedtest.net
chunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 19:34   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

have you got another device like a relatively new mobile phone you can do a test on (and not an iphone). If you go into the Play store you can download the speedtest.net app and it will automatically locate the closest server and run the test for you. I have got an AC router and an AC tablet (just to confirm that both devices are capable of the speed and this is a true result) and this is an example of what the result of the test looks like from a mobile device. I am on 350mbits so getting nearly 300 over wifi isn't bad going.

Edit: I have just looked up the MacBook Air and if I have got the right model quite interestingly it says

• Connectivity: 802.11ac Wi-Fi networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible

We still need to test the connection on another device to see if it is a MacBook issue and also on a wired connection to see if it is a wireless issue but while you are playing around can you have a look and see if you can get an app for your MacBook called Wifi Analyser. It pulls up all the access points in range, tells you which one you are connected to and what channel etc. I am curious to see how the shub is behaving and whether you are using 2.4ghz or 5ghz. This is mine just so you get an idea of what it looks like:

Last edited by General Maximus; 27-10-2017 at 19:51.
Old 28-10-2017, 16:43   #5
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
HUB 3 poor wifi

I get over 100 meg on Ethernet connection.
100 Meg tier Prior 18/10/17 My HUB 3 main white light only flashed for about 15 mins then the green lights flashed for about 3 mins after which I had internet, Firm ware 9.1.116V. Would it have been a firmware update I was getting over 90 meg wireless but since then I only get between 20 and 40 meg download wireless, this is with the HUB 3 and my laptop in the exact same position.
I have tried several wireless computers with same down load speeds.

Could it be the HUB 3 which is the original HUB 3

Any Ideas
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 23:48   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Ignore what I just said, I got my threads mixed up. The only way you'll know for sure is if you trying using another router/wireless access point (first point of troubleshooting) and it is a good place to start because going by what you have said it is the only thing to have changed and just reinforces my view that everyone should have their own proper router. By using cheapo isp supplied cpe you leave yourself at the mercy of a company who doesn't care about customer service, quality, performance or testing and only cares about cost.

Last edited by General Maximus; 28-10-2017 at 23:56.