Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | June 8th General Election

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

June 8th General Election
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for on 8th June?
Conservatives 47 48.96%
Labour 24 25.00%
Liberal Democrats 9 9.38%
UKIP 4 4.17%
Greens 2 2.08%
Other 5 5.21%
None, I will Abstain. 5 5.21%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-05-2017, 15:56   #556
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: June 8th General Election

OK having had chance to think about the proposed changes in social care rules I see a big problem for those people who're live in carers for their parent(s) at home but are now going to face the prospect (if extra care in the home is needed) of finding the house they've lived in and previously would have inherited could well have to be sold after their parents die. It may not be many people in this situation but I do think if we're going to expect family members to sacrifice their lives to care for their parents, we can't then penalise them additionally for so doing. Where are these people supposed to live and on what when their caring role ends? £100k isn't going to go very far for someone who has no job and nowhere to live is it. It seems to me this will just mean that less people will want/be able to care for their parents.

Last edited by Osem; 18-05-2017 at 16:05.
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2017, 21:09   #557
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
OK having had chance to think about the proposed changes in social care rules I see a big problem for those people who're live in carers for their parent(s) at home but are now going to face the prospect (if extra care in the home is needed) of finding the house they've lived in and previously would have inherited could well have to be sold after their parents die. It may not be many people in this situation but I do think if we're going to expect family members to sacrifice their lives to care for their parents, we can't then penalise them additionally for so doing. Where are these people supposed to live and on what when their caring role ends? £100k isn't going to go very far for someone who has no job and nowhere to live is it. It seems to me this will just mean that less people will want/be able to care for their parents.
It's also a bit of a lottery. We don't know how long each of us will live or what conditions we may get when we're older and some of us will get to protect our assets as we remain in good health and others less so. I would prefer we all contribute via a rise in national insurance to pay for social care. It's how we handle other healthcare after all, we all pay but some need it more than others.

Still this is better than nothing and since the Tories will actually be the government it's at least a start in addressing the issue.

The Tories know they'll win so it's good they get to be a bit more realistic but at the same time they apparently have barely costed their manifesto. There is a touch of arrogance there as well (they've also banned Sky News from the campaign for some reason).
Old 18-05-2017, 22:37   #558
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's also a bit of a lottery. We don't know how long each of us will live or what conditions we may get when we're older and some of us will get to protect our assets as we remain in good health and others less so. I would prefer we all contribute via a rise in national insurance to pay for social care. It's how we handle other healthcare after all, we all pay but some need it more than others.

Still this is better than nothing and since the Tories will actually be the government it's at least a start in addressing the issue. The Tories know they'll win so it's good they get to be a bit more realistic but at the same time they apparently have barely costed their manifesto. There is a touch of arrogance there as well (they've also banned Sky News from the campaign for some reason).
This issue had to be addressed and for Corbyn to claim Labour will take care of it as though it's an NHS issue is disingenuous as they have no such proposals in their manifesto.

I believe in the NHS and feel that care for dementia patients etc. should be treated no differently from care for those with say diabetes or HIV for example. The cost should come out of general taxation and whilst that's not 100% fair, it's as fair as it gets.
Old 18-05-2017, 22:46   #559
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
This issue had to be addressed and for Corbyn to claim Labour will take care of it as though it's an NHS issue is disingenuous as they have no such proposals in their manifesto.

I believe in the NHS and feel that care for dementia patients etc. should be treated no differently from care for those with say diabetes or HIV for example. The cost should come out of general taxation and whilst that's not 100% fair, it's as fair as it gets.
Yeah but for some reason political parties seem scared to announce tax rises. Even Labour, with this leadership, are limiting tax rises to the over £85,000 bands. I think almost everyone would need to pay more really, maybe excluding the lowest earners.
Old 18-05-2017, 23:12   #560
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Really pleased I did not waste 2 hours of my time watching the ITV leaders debate tonight. (No Jeremy Corbyn, No Theresa May). (Truth be told I didn't actually know there was one until now but I still would not have watched it if I was aware it was on). I can't stand Nicola Sturgeon.
Old 18-05-2017, 23:19   #561
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Yeah but for some reason political parties seem scared to announce tax rises. Even Labour, with this leadership, are limiting tax rises to the over £85,000 bands. I think almost everyone would need to pay more really, maybe excluding the lowest earners.
I think they haven't quite realised that people have wised up to all the false promises of better services etc and lower taxes which we've all heard before. People want want decent services and I think realise they have to be paid for so I feel that those politicians who are up front about the reality of tax* rises won't be quite so harshly judged.

* in whatever form they come.

I could look look back and begrudge the fact that Osem Jnr now has to live with a 5 figure debt for his higher education when I was paid for the privilege (albeit not very much) but I accept that these things have a value and there's no better way of devaluing anything than making it free...

Last edited by Osem; 18-05-2017 at 23:27.
Old 18-05-2017, 23:32   #562
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

You read all the things about money. education and the NHS. and you see that Theresa has thrown in bringing back fox hunting by way of a vote. and you think WTF?

Just goes to show what these people are all about.

it's a bit like her throwing in having their shoes cleaned by little homeless kids by way of a vote.

never liked the old fool with the wonky walk.
Old 19-05-2017, 00:58   #563
RizzyKing

There are a number of Tory MPs that are still campaigning for the return of fox hunting and she's dealt with it with the pledge to hold a vote on it an easy way to placate a few moaners with no chance of the vote bringing it back. I think the costing of the manifesto is something that needs a bit more detail and I'm hoping we get more on that soon. I think the issue with sky news is more about the murdoch press in general as May is not a huge fan of rupert murdoch but time will tell.

Old 19-05-2017, 02:28   #564
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
(they've also banned Sky News from the campaign for some reason).
Quote:
BuzzFeed
"Since early in the election campaign, Sky News has not been getting live interviews on election issues with Conservative ministers," a spokesperson told BuzzFeed News. "Also, we weren’t initially invited to follow the leader’s tour. We understand this to be because members of the prime minister’s team are unhappy with aspects of our political coverage. Sky News stands by its journalism and is committed to fair, impartial, and accurate reporting of all the political parties."
One source also claimed Sky News did not receive advance briefing of the Conservatives' manifesto launch on Thursday, despite some friendly newspapers being given previews of some policies.
The highly unusual intervention comes after a number of confrontations between the channel and Theresa May's team. On the first day of the snap election campaign, when at short notice the prime minister announced a public statement on an unknown topic in Downing Street, veteran presenter Adam Boulton speculated on air that one possible explanation could be her health.
Moments later Boulton – who is nicknamed Bunter – received a text message from Downing Street chief of staff Fiona Hill, saying: "You might want to tell Bunter that he should watch what he is saying about my boss's health, utterly unfounded and untrue." He immediately read the message out on air.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson...eeB#.gbj7OGVVB
Old 19-05-2017, 09:49   #565
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Really pleased I did not waste 2 hours of my time watching the ITV leaders debate tonight. (No Jeremy Corbyn, No Theresa May). (Truth be told I didn't actually know there was one until now but I still would not have watched it if I was aware it was on). I can't stand Nicola Sturgeon.
You are obviously a man of impeccable taste.

Can't see the point of a "debate" when the two leading players are absent. I didn't watch it but from what I've heard it was a load of lefty hot air and nonsense from a bunch of no hopers.
Old 19-05-2017, 09:52   #566
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
You are obviously a man of impeccable taste.

Can't see the point of a "debate" when the two leading players are absent. I didn't watch it but from what I've heard it was a load of lefty hot air and nonsense from a bunch of no hopers.
i watched the green'y intro speech but had to turn it over when the welsh idiot [ plaid cymru] started bad mouthing all and sundry .
Old 19-05-2017, 10:31   #567
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Ah, the Losers Debate. Didn't bother with it. Apparently didn't miss much.
Old 19-05-2017, 10:34   #568
Osem
Inactive

Which debate?
Old 19-05-2017, 10:36   #569
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
i watched the green'y intro speech but had to turn it over when the welsh idiot [ plaid cymru] started bad mouthing all and sundry .
Oh she was horrible.
such a stereotypical act of the Welsh she did there. makes it look like the Welsh just whine and moan about everybody else with a grumpy straight face all the time.

I'm sure they don't.
they just sound like they do.
Old 19-05-2017, 13:30   #570
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Oh she was horrible.
such a stereotypical act of the Welsh she did there. makes it look like the Welsh just whine and moan about everybody else with a grumpy straight face all the time.

I'm sure they don't.
they just sound like they do.
Sheep: the welsh bang 'em, the english eat 'em
Natalie (Leanne) Wood is no more representative of the welsh than hobo Corbyn is representative of the english.
Closed Thread