Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 29-01-2016, 18:17   #2506
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Personally I'd have to ask what would be the point of putting Freeview in the NOW TV box?
It makes the most popular channels available without the need to stream them (= a huge saving in broadband data).

Besides, there are still plenty of HDMI-enabled TVs about that don't include a Freeview tuner.
Advertisement
Old 29-01-2016, 18:24   #2507
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Personally I'd have to ask what would be the point of putting Freeview in the NOW TV box? I can't see the advantage for a couple of reasons.

Now TV requires an HDMI connection as far as I know meaning it's pretty likely you've either already got Freeview built into the TV, or receive broadcast channels through another provider, rendering the Freeview hardware pointless.

Also Now TV is rebranded Roku hardware, which doesn't do Freeview. So to add it in means that Sky would have to source their hardware from someone else - and they seem fairly happy with Roku to date for Now TV.
They are working with Roku

http://advanced-television.com/2016/...for-operators/
https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...vanced-box-yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It makes the most popular channels available without the need to stream them (= a huge saving in broadband data).

Besides, there are still plenty of HDMI-enabled TVs about that don't include a Freeview tuner.
You always put things so much better than I can. I'd imagine this hybrid box will also feature Sky's own streamed live channels in the EPG with the broadcast channels. Many in here also seem to talk about a one box solution rather than having to keep changing inputs.
Old 29-01-2016, 18:37   #2508
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

It would be good to have all the Freeview channels on the next Tivo box!
Old 29-01-2016, 21:09   #2509
gregbeata
cf.member

gregbeata is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Old 29-01-2016, 22:26   #2510
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

I would almost certainly say that the channels will be streamed which would be perfect for me as I get poor aerial reception. I have wondered why no one has managed to do this, all the mobile apps use such poor quality feeds would be nice to have a proper app to do this.
Old 30-01-2016, 10:08   #2511
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I would almost certainly say that the channels will be streamed which would be perfect for me as I get poor aerial reception.
1) Streaming the channels wouldn't require a new box. That's what the current one does.
2) It would be a waste of bandwidth for the majority who can get good DTT reception
3) It would be rubbish for me as I get poor broadband (as do many others)
Old 30-01-2016, 10:46   #2512
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
What I find strange is surely it can't just be a hybrid box providing the Freeview Channels and Now TV content surely Sky will want to increase the ARPU on Now TV.

HD at 1080p is well overdue , whatever the box consists of its a certainty it will do something Sky can charge you extra for. They would make nothing off just the fact it's hybrid apart from charging more for the hardware initially.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...-advanced-box/
They could do with a few extra channels such as Alibi, Universal and Watch (though I think Watch's rebranding and new content skew to 'W' could end up standing for 'Wishy-washy')

But I wouldn't be prepare to pay more than 50p for their additions. I think Sky will keep 1080p and 5.1 the reserve of their satellite boxes for the time being. They could try an extra charge for it, but again, it would have to be minimal for me to pay it; the 720p picture on catchup/box sets, is not bad at all in my view.
Old 30-01-2016, 10:51   #2513
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Another reason for including Freeview in a Now TV box is that it could enable catch-up streaming via the EPG, which YouView and Freeview Play have and which consumers seem to like. Would seem to be less hassle just to licence YouView.

Here's Roku's announcement: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160129005301/en

The main problem with Now TV is Sky are navigating a path where it has to be good enough to make people subscribe but not so good that it starts eating into the main Sky product. The new entrants in the streaming market though are going all out to have the best experience possible. The recent press about the new Now TV UI seems to be positioning it as having more editorial rather than algorithmic input into how it suggests shows, but I don't think that's good enough. When even YouTube is doing 6+ Mbps 1080p video they need better than the current 3.2Mbps 720p video - which also doesn't look as good as the BBC manage for the same speed with iPlayer. Did read that someone had been told by customer services that live channels were all going up to 720p this spring.
Old 31-01-2016, 02:48   #2514
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
1) Streaming the channels wouldn't require a new box. That's what the current one does.
2) It would be a waste of bandwidth for the majority who can get good DTT reception
It does say the current app/box will get a new UI in Feb and you are right it doesn't need a new box I just hope it is a early miscommunication.

It is a easy way to get a load of channels in one simple box, also would be brilliant as a mobile app, the tuner in my second TV doesn't even work.

This product probably isn't aimed at people who have rubbish broadband, it is aimed squarely at people who want to cut the cord but have a cheap option. Imagine how attractive a Pay TV service would be bundled in with freeview? You would watch all those channels while Sky still get to advertise to you from within the app.
Old 06-02-2016, 18:59   #2515
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I am sure your views on Ant and/or Dec cut them to the quick, and are only mitigated by their net worth of £62 million each...
Measuring success purely in terms of wealth is so crass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Quote:
If VM are no longer going to add Freeview additions to their TV service, why don't they do what Sky have done in another country (and considered here before ITV joined the Sky platform) and bring TiVo customers the channels via a DTT sidecar?

No fees either way, no carriage agreements to make...

NPower customers can get a free 3 month Now TV Entertainment pass:

http://www.npower.com/Campaigns/offer/nowTv/index.htm
Old 10-02-2016, 19:08   #2516
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201602104...#axzz3zml96eBm

Could this be useful for obtaining English Premier League matches without being ripped off by Sky?
Old 10-02-2016, 20:05   #2517
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Measuring success purely in terms of wealth is so crass.

If VM are no longer going to add Freeview additions to their TV service, why don't they do what Sky have done in another country (and considered here before ITV joined the Sky platform) and bring TiVo customers the channels via a DTT sidecar?

No fees either way, no carriage agreements to make...

NPower customers can get a free 3 month Now TV Entertainment pass:

http://www.npower.com/Campaigns/offer/nowTv/index.htm
How about adding their wealth to their popularity, the fact that their shows have high viewing figures, which are the reason for their success and wealth?

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201602104...#axzz3zml96eBm

Could this be useful for obtaining English Premier League matches without being ripped off by Sky?
The Optus rights are for showing the matches in Australia....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 10-02-2016, 20:21   #2518
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The Optus rights are for showing the matches in Australia....
Officially yes.
Old 11-02-2016, 23:02   #2519
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Netflix Original: House of Cards Season 4 trailer

https://youtu.be/NTzycsqxYJ0
Old 11-02-2016, 23:10   #2520
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Netflix Original: House of Cards Season 4 trailer

https://youtu.be/NTzycsqxYJ0
Cheers MM. Looking forward to it!
Closed Thread