Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 28-10-2017, 23:05   #7561
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Those people are entitled to change if they can get it cheaper elsewhere or at very least ring their current provider and see what they can do.
Indeed they are, however it would be a lot fairer if everyone paid the same price - you should not have to haggle to get a cheaper deal.

When I told Sky I was cancelling and moving to Virgin they said they would try and match the Virgin price to keep me - however they couldn't.

Sky sports cost has increased in the last 18 months despite what a post says and over the years their rights have diluted.

I stick by my earlier post - sky have never ever lowered the standard price of sky sports to reflect the loss of any rights.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2017, 23:36   #7562
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Indeed they are, however it would be a lot fairer if everyone paid the same price - you should not have to haggle to get a cheaper deal.

When I told Sky I was cancelling and moving to Virgin they said they would try and match the Virgin price to keep me - however they couldn't.

Sky sports cost has increased in the last 18 months despite what a post says and over the years their rights have diluted.

I stick by my earlier post - sky have never ever lowered the standard price of sky sports to reflect the loss of any rights.
My Sky Sports charges have decreased , I agreed to an 18 month contract and to keep Sky Sports for that term and now pay £20 a month instead of the £27.50 normal rate. This offer was open to anyone I'm not sure if it still is but they always have offers on.

Last edited by muppetman11; 28-10-2017 at 23:41.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 14:10   #7563
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrown View Post
I've just re-subscribed to Sky Sports, so that I can video some of the overnight NFL games, and I appreciate that I didn't pay the extra £7 for HD, but for £31 a month I expect a good SD picture, but it's shockingly awful!
It is isn't it?

I can get an illegal stream in better quality.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 16:47   #7564
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
It is isn't it?

I can get an illegal stream in better quality.
I wouldn't tell the world about that, John, in view of concerns expressed on this forum over prosecutions.

Now it has been established by the courts that streaming pirated content is unlawful, I can see Sky going after culprits big time. They are losing a lot of money through pirating.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:26   #7565
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

BT seem to be indicating that they will not be paying silly money to retain their existing Premiership rights.

This could be the way in for the big players if they want to dip their toes in the water first.

It will be interesting to see who makes the best play for this, but my bets are on Amazon.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-bosses-vo...ue-tv-auction/

BT bosses vow to remain “disciplined” in next Premier League TV rights auction

BT bosses have insisted they won’t get into an open-ended bidding war for the next set of Premier League broadcast rights.

The broadcaster is the contest’s junior rights holder, showing 42 games per season compared to Sky’s 126 matches, and augments its football coverage with exclusive coverage of the Champions and Europa Leagues.

It also holds exclusive UK rights to the Aviva Premiership Rugby, Australian cricket, UFC and, most recently, boxing coverage through its tie-up with Frank Warren’s Boxnation.

BT Sport has been credited with revitalising the firm’s pay-TV platform which has doubled its customer base since 2012, as well as boosting take-up of its fibre broadband packages and cutting customer losses.

The firm’s latest market update confirms that viewing figures across the suite of BT Sport channels is up 8% compared to last year, with Premier League audiences up 2% and those for the Champions League growing by 16% – a boost BT credits to six British teams qualifying for the group stage for the first time since the 2007/08 season.

Asked on Thursday about the role of the Premier League in achieving growth and retention targets, BT CEO Gavin Patterson said the rights “are important” and BT would “undoubtably play a role in the auction,” but insisted the firm would “remain very disciplined” when bidding.

This message was reiterated by Marc Allera, head of BT’s consumer division, who said content was a key way of “to differentiate your offering” from other communications providers but added his team were “clear what price we’re prepared to pay for these rights and we will not pay more.”

Alluding to reports that new bidders, such as Amazon or Netflix, could enter the fray at the next rights auction, Patterson said the firm was “prepared for a scenario…where someone takes us on”.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 02-11-2017 at 11:29.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:54   #7566
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Perhaps if you go to the end of your book now you will get the answer to what you already know OB.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:37   #7567
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

What a completely pointless article , what executive is going to come out and say we are prepared to pay whatever.
Old 02-11-2017, 14:35   #7568
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I think OB is getting free deliveries from Amazon.......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 14:49   #7569
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think OB is getting free deliveries from Amazon.......
And good commission as well.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Quote:
What a completely pointless article , what executive is going to come out and say we are prepared to pay whatever.
None.
Old 02-11-2017, 15:05   #7570
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
BT seem to be indicating that they will not be paying silly money to retain their existing Premiership rights.

This could be the way in for the big players if they want to dip their toes in the water first.

It will be interesting to see who makes the best play for this, but my bets are on Amazon.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-bosses-vo...ue-tv-auction/

BT bosses vow to remain “disciplined” in next Premier League TV rights auction

BT bosses have insisted they won’t get into an open-ended bidding war for the next set of Premier League broadcast rights.

The broadcaster is the contest’s junior rights holder, showing 42 games per season compared to Sky’s 126 matches, and augments its football coverage with exclusive coverage of the Champions and Europa Leagues.

It also holds exclusive UK rights to the Aviva Premiership Rugby, Australian cricket, UFC and, most recently, boxing coverage through its tie-up with Frank Warren’s Boxnation.

BT Sport has been credited with revitalising the firm’s pay-TV platform which has doubled its customer base since 2012, as well as boosting take-up of its fibre broadband packages and cutting customer losses.

The firm’s latest market update confirms that viewing figures across the suite of BT Sport channels is up 8% compared to last year, with Premier League audiences up 2% and those for the Champions League growing by 16% – a boost BT credits to six British teams qualifying for the group stage for the first time since the 2007/08 season.

Asked on Thursday about the role of the Premier League in achieving growth and retention targets, BT CEO Gavin Patterson said the rights “are important” and BT would “undoubtably play a role in the auction,” but insisted the firm would “remain very disciplined” when bidding.

This message was reiterated by Marc Allera, head of BT’s consumer division, who said content was a key way of “to differentiate your offering” from other communications providers but added his team were “clear what price we’re prepared to pay for these rights and we will not pay more.”

Alluding to reports that new bidders, such as Amazon or Netflix, could enter the fray at the next rights auction, Patterson said the firm was “prepared for a scenario…where someone takes us on”.
We fell Sky will do an ITV Digital within the next 10 to 20 years if they keep on over paying for the rights to Premier League.

No wonder your team (England) has not win anything since 1966 with all the over pay overseas players.

I would love to see the "Team England" in the Premier League to see where in the top 20 they end up.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 02-11-2017 at 15:10.
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 16:05   #7571
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It's not pointless. It is indicating there is a limit to what they are prepared to pay to retain these rights.

To my mind, they would have been well advised to keep their position on this close to their chests. This is only going to encorage Amazon, Disney, Discovery and the like to test the waters. However, my view is that we could do far worse than seeing global streaming companies taking over, and in the long run, this will be the best arrangement for the punters.
Old 02-11-2017, 16:12   #7572
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It's not pointless. It is indicating there is a limit to what they are prepared to pay to retain these rights.

To my mind, they would have been well advised to keep their position on this close to their chests. This is only going to encorage Amazon, Disney, Discovery and the like to test the waters. However, my view is that we could do far worse than seeing global streaming companies taking over, and in the long run, this will be the best arrangement for the punters.
It's pretty damn obvious every company has a limit to what it's prepared to pay.

American companies doing British Sport can't wait !!!!!
Old 02-11-2017, 16:46   #7573
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
It's pretty damn obvious every company has a limit to what it's prepared to pay.

Not a chance!!!! but don't tell OB that..
Old 02-11-2017, 20:18   #7574
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

In the context of the announcement, the indication was that they were not going to die in a ditch to get what they wanted. It was designed I think to keep expectations down because there is a real possibility they may lose these rights either this or next time around.

As for Americans doing sport - I am sure they will use British commentators!
Old 02-11-2017, 20:21   #7575
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
In the context of the announcement, the indication was that they were not going to die in a ditch to get what they wanted. It was designed I think to keep expectations down because there is a real possibility they may lose these rights either this or next time around.

As for Americans doing sport - I am sure they will use British commentators!
You literally believe everything you read don't you