Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Lady Macca's Book: 'Die Freuden der Liebe'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Hospital Car Park Charges - Morally Wrong?

Old 28-03-2006, 17:21   #1
Salu
Inactive

Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Salu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronzeSalu is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Salu
Hospital Car Park Charges - Morally Wrong?

http://212.58.226.30/1/hi/health/4850562.stm

Is it wrong per se or is the level of charge wrong etc? Obviously they have to be built and maintained etc.

The only thing I have to say is that I wish they would move them out of the city centres and into somewhere where there is enough land to provide parking and extend etc. The buildings/land in the city could raise a good part of the cost of the rebuild etc.
Salu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2006, 17:24   #2
NEONKNIGHT

Re: Hospital Car Park Charges - Morally Wrong?

Charging to park your car at a hospital is wrong in my opinion but its a sad fact of life that the NHS needs as much money as it can get. I can see this thread just ending up as a bashing exercise of the NHS though as with any public service.
Old 28-03-2006, 17:26   #3
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

I think they are a fact of life for some of the older, city centre locations.

For newer hospitals, especially the ones built on greenfield sites which can have parking facilities incorporated into their plans I don't think there is any need for them.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 17:29   #4
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

I have to say that, as a way of providing some income for hospitals, I don't particularly have a probelm with it.

However, where they do go wrong is in the way that it's administered. When Mother-in-Law Nug was in hospital a couple of years ago, you bought a ticket much the same as you would at a supermarket, and it covered you for 24 hours. Unfortuanately, they now have barriers on all of the car parks at Grimsby hospital so, whereas it would technically only cost £1.50 to park all day, that would involve leaving the car there all day.

In my experience, what actually happened when Mrs Nug went in to have Baby Nug was that, because I had to shuttle back and forth quite a lot (to meet family and whatnot), it costed anything from 3 quid a day to £7.50.

Therefore, while I don't think it's morally wrong per se, I do believe that, at least in Grimsbys case, they should provide more for people who are likely to be making more than 1 visit a day.
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 17:30   #5
monkey2468
Inactive

Services: 1tb tivo, vhd, 60meg shub2 cablemodem, 1Xphoneline, Virgin mobile contract p
monkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quads

Last time I was at my local hospital, the total time was 35 mins. The charge was £2.50 as the only type of ticket was a 24h one. Seems very excessive.
monkey2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 18:30   #6
j52c
Inactive

j52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant futurej52c has a brilliant future

I have to take my wife to the Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield regularly for treatment and they charge by the hour, yesterday we were lucky and only had to park for 30mins but it cost me £ 2. normally we are there for 2 hours and it cost £5. the longer you stay the more it costs.

There is nowhere else to park around there, I have spent ages sometimes trying to find a parking space, maybe if I lived locally I could find one but I live 14 miles away so don't know the district. So take into account the cost of fuel and car parking charges, plus the fact we are pensioners and it all adds up.
j52c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 18:31   #7
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I don't think they should charge......no one goes to hospital because they actually want to be there, they go because they are ill/need tests or are visiting someone there. Charging for that is rather distasteful....
Old 28-03-2006, 18:56   #8
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
I don't think they should charge......no one goes to hospital because they actually want to be there, they go because they are ill/need tests or are visiting someone there. Charging for that is rather distasteful....
Or want somewhere free to park while they pop round to the shops.

I think hospitals should charge the going rate for parking - but just make it easy so that people don't have to worry about running out of time, finding a new space, etc every couple of hours.

And if a hospital subsidises car drivers by offering free parking, it should also subsidise non-drivers by paying for anyone's tube/train/bus fare too.
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 19:05   #9
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

I find hospital car parking is normally over priced and un flexible with most places I have been offering a 24 hour ticket only. What gets me is thats fine if your going to be there 24 hours but what about the 30 mins visits?
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 19:28   #10
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_365
Or want somewhere free to park while they pop round to the shops.

I think hospitals should charge the going rate for parking - but just make it easy so that people don't have to worry about running out of time, finding a new space, etc every couple of hours.

And if a hospital subsidises car drivers by offering free parking, it should also subsidise non-drivers by paying for anyone's tube/train/bus fare too.
I get your point but:
- people rarely go to hospital out of choice
- we already pay enough towards the NHS without it then charging us to use it
-in times of crisis (which is when we often need to visit hospitals) the last thing we want to have to worry about is having the change for parking.

I have lost count of the number of times I have had to make night time dashes to hospitals to find that I am in danger of getting fined/clamped whilst visiting someone at deaths door.
Old 28-03-2006, 19:31   #11
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
i think they should issue passes to the patients so they can have one visitor parking for free at any time. The reason given for starting to charge for parking at our hospital was to stop shoppers parking in there for free. I agree they need to stop people parking that shouldnt be there but charging those receiving treatment of visting patients is outrageous
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 19:32   #12
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

All I know is that my local hospital has the misfortune (for myself) to be located near the train station. And as the parking is so much cheaper at the hospital that's where everyone parks on a morning and smegs off for the day down in london.

Now I get a bus to the hospital and back as it's so much easier than the missus dropping me off or waiting.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 20:02   #13
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

The only way to get free parking at our Maternity hospital is to have a baby in SCBU. And its a bloomin liberty if you have to take someone to A&E when you have no idea how long you will have to wait.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 21:06   #14
Tuftus

In cases such as this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4853084.stm

Yes, I think it is morally wrong.

Personally I do not object to paying for parking, however for long term patients I think there should be some sort of subsidised scheme, after all we have all paid our taxes right?
Old 28-03-2006, 21:15   #15
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

To be honest if Hostpital Car parks were free, all and sundry would park there, that's how I see it anyway
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote