Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Payment receipt methods for a small business

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Payment receipt methods for a small business

Old 14-03-2012, 01:18   #16
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: Payment receipt methods for a small business

Just remember, that to accept card payments, you have to be PCI compliant. Although this can often be done through the merchant service provider.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2012, 10:23   #17
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Thanks everyone.

To be honest I think a simple and cheap solution would be best at the beginning anyway. If things go well and they need a different solution they'll have to address that at the time.

Just one thing, what's actually involved in making a bank transfer payment? Can it be done by the payee direct via say a web based account or does it have to be done via a bank branch in person or by phone? I'm just thinking that if it's not straightforward to set up then some people won't want to be bothered as they'd rather just hand over their card details.

@ Tim - I thought Jeremy Clarkson got done when he published his basic bank details in a stunt designed to show it is perfectly safe to do so? Obviously I don't know if the 'fraudsters' obtained additional information with which to do it however but I'd be interested to know what sort of information that might be - general information that is, NOT specific to JC of course...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 10:55   #18
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Depending on the type of business I think asking for bank transfers, if it were the only option, would deter customers. I know I wouldn't want to do that, I would prefer paypal or paying by card. Is it a online business or offline (store, trade, etc)?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 11:37   #19
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Depending on the type of business I think asking for bank transfers, if it were the only option, would deter customers. I know I wouldn't want to do that, I would prefer paypal or paying by card. Is it a online business or offline (store, trade, etc)?
Neither would be online as such although they might have simple websites as a point of contact. The bank transfer option would only apply to customers who couldn't pay by cheque, cash, direct debit or whatever. It seems processing card payments, if they're infrequent and the sums small, is probably more cost and hassle for the small business than it's worth.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:02   #20
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Neither would be online as such although they might have simple websites as a point of contact. The bank transfer option would only apply to customers who couldn't pay by cheque, cash, direct debit or whatever. It seems processing card payments, if they're infrequent and the sums small, is probably more cost and hassle for the small business than it's worth.
There is a business called Square from America which is gaining a lot of good press that allows people to accept card payments on their mobile phone and/or tablet, it also allows you to print or e-mail receipts. It's not in the UK yet but might be by the time your looking at...
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 13:54   #21
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

To be honest I think a simple and cheap solution would be best at the beginning anyway. If things go well and they need a different solution they'll have to address that at the time.

Just one thing, what's actually involved in making a bank transfer payment? Can it be done by the payee direct via say a web based account or does it have to be done via a bank branch in person or by phone? I'm just thinking that if it's not straightforward to set up then some people won't want to be bothered as they'd rather just hand over their card details.
They can either pay it over the counter, through telephone banking, or through on line banking.

Quote:
@ Tim - I thought Jeremy Clarkson got done when he published his basic bank details in a stunt designed to show it is perfectly safe to do so? Obviously I don't know if the 'fraudsters' obtained additional information with which to do it however but I'd be interested to know what sort of information that might be - general information that is, NOT specific to JC of course...
I didn't hear about that. Although with him being famous I should think it would be easier to get hold of extra details about him.

I don't know if you have ever received and of these scam e-mails, they say that you have won loads of money. And they ask you for loads of personal details like: name, sex, date of birth, country of birth, town of birth, etc... well these are the sort of personal details they would need to get into your account, as well as your overdraught limit, last large direct debit out of your account, as well as many other questions that only you would know.
Old 15-03-2012, 21:16   #22
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

I notice that Paypal are about to introduce a new service for iPhone payments with Android to follow soon. Might be worth watching.

https://www.paypal.co.uk/blog/News/I...mall-Business/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5woI...ature=youtu.be
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 21:18   #23
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
I notice that Paypal are about to introduce a new service for iPhone payments with Android to follow soon. Might be worth watching.

https://www.paypal.co.uk/blog/News/I...mall-Business/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5woI...ature=youtu.be
I would only use Paypal if you really have to.
Old 15-03-2012, 22:34   #24
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I would only use Paypal if you really have to.
I agree but for a startup business it may be worth checking. Not sure anyway if this new system will allow remote 'cardholder not present' payments.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 23:06   #25
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
I agree but for a startup business it may be worth checking. Not sure anyway if this new system will allow remote 'cardholder not present' payments.
I hate to say it, but I have to agree