Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TV price rises

Old 01-02-2012, 19:32   #61
tridens

Services: Sky TV HD
Re: TV price rises

Hi
If you look at virginmedia shop the prices have gone up between £ 1 and £3
on tv L £18.50 now £19.50
Im on TV L + Tivo and BB L it used to be £36.50 now its £39.50
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2012, 19:37   #62
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Well everyone there is always Freeview..
My freeview is best

Police drama's -Friday and Saturday Nights in the town?

Hospital drama -Every night in the A&E Dept?

Jeremy Kyle type shows -All the time during the day in Barnsley
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 19:54   #63
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
freeview/freesat should not be dismissed , there is plenty of choice and now 4 HD channels. I have just brought a freeview+ HD box as back up to VM, I have to say having tried it out I am pretty impressed.
Freeview/Freesat are great. I had both for a few months last year but only problem was I really needed a good pvt and neither platform had one that I got on with.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 20:30   #64
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Jeremy Kyle type shows -All the time during the day in Barnsley
Well here in Wakefield, the Jeremy Kyle show is known as 'The Barnsley News'

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 21:43   #65
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I thought it was South Yorkshire's equivalent of "Made in Chelsea"?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 21:45   #66
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Well everyone there is always Freeview..
Plus Netflix and Lovefilm. I can see a Freeview-YouView-Netflix-Lovefilm combo being very attractive to those not ready signed up for Pay-TV platforms.
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 23:48   #67
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I understand both sides - people don't want to pay any more, and VM want to make some more money.

Market Forces - people can move to an alternative supplier; however, it will be interesting to see how Sky customers who were moved to the Entertainment Plus package at no extra cost (when they moved from six mixes to two packages) will react when they get the uplift of over £5 in September of this year....

This Sky customer explains it better than I could....
the link seems to not be working, now.

what did it say?

nevermind. found it on google cache.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 23:51   #68
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Well here in Wakefield, the Jeremy Kyle show is known as 'The Barnsley News'

Cheers

Grim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I thought it was South Yorkshire's equivalent of "Made in Chelsea"?
Thanks for the vote of confidence
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:25   #69
andrewstevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The XL with TIVO will become 29.50 now won't it when took with a phone , seems steep to me.
Considering the equivalent Sky Package (Entertainment Extra and HD) is £35.25, it's still comparible
We'll true but for £5.25 more they get 30 more hd channels

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks View Post
Wish they would say price rise is coming soon !!!! lol
Amazing the only thing they can give a definite on is price increases never channels
Old 02-02-2012, 01:26   #70
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstevenson View Post
True, but no ESPN if you follow sport which is about a £10 extra with sky.

But is included on VMs XL TV pack.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:28   #71
andrewstevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Quote:
True, but no ESPN if you follow sport which is about a £10 extra with sky.

But is included on VMs XL TV pack.
I know but if you dont watch there is a difference that all I mean
Old 02-02-2012, 01:31   #72
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
I know but if you dont watch there is a difference that all I mean
Yes thats true enough,its the same with everything its hard to please everybody my self i would rather have ESPN included in my TV XL sub then pay £10 for more HD channels,just my personal preference though.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:31   #73
Blizzard
Inactive

Blizzard is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like most things are going up now. Changes on Virgin's site:

Broadband:
L from £13.50 to £14.50
XXL from £25 to £25.50

Phone
L from £4 to £4.60
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:41   #74
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been a big believer in VM and have been with them for over 5 years now sticking with them through the loss of Sky Basics, the seeming endless sagas of new channels "coming soon", etc.

I also love TiVo but think like many others on here that whilst the box is amazing, it is seriously let down by content. Obviously extra HD channels, Sky Atlantic , etc, would be nice but the big lead it had on competitors was it's connectivity and the endless possibilities this could bring. VM however serve us up some tripe with poor quality YouTube and Ebay apps and all the others are generally rubbish apps which are more like adverts promoting Sky Sports & Movies and the latest Harry Potter film.

The apps section could bring endless possibilities by adding the likes of Facebook, Netflix, LOVEFiLM, Google, a web browser and many more. Whilst I appreciate these might take away from VM's pay-per-view selection, they now claim to be a content provider and with this in mind should provide additional content for customer choice.

Sky have just announced the addition of BBC iPlayer and ITV Net Player along with improved Anytime+ and up to 40Mb fibre broadband in the near future.

VM then offer to increase our broadband speeds for 'free' yet suddenly increase the prices on all their products.

I think VM have seriously lost their strategy as Sky are quickly catching the up now with VOD, BB for general users (obviously VM will still be better for heavy downloaders) and obviously Sky's channel content is king.

This current price rise has seriously annoyed me. I have for the first time in a long time considered leaving VM and going to Sky. I priced up a few different packages with Sky and realised I could save (post VM price rises) between £5 and £20 a month dependant on which package I opt for.

I therefore need VM to pull something out of the bag to keep me as I am a pretty basic users who wants to watch linear or recorded tv, have plenty of content, broadband that allows me to surf, check email, shop and a telephone line is a telephone line.

Superfast 30Mb + internet and endless VOD is not necessary for me personally and therefore (although I hate to say it) I may seriously have to consider the switch to Sky as for my needs their packages and prices are looking increasingly attractive.

Superblade7
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:31   #75
pk1
cf.addict

Services: Sky Fibre Max Broadband, Sky Telephone, Sky Q 2TB
pk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to behold

As i left Sky last year, for the far better Tivo box, i am hoping that better content not just VOD but more channels will be added. (to be funded by price increase)

Sky keep sending me half price offers to come back to them, one day i may just return. But will stay with Virgin to give them a chance to increase the channels to ones that keep them competing with Sky.
pk1 is offline   Reply With Quote