Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 13:28   #46
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Who said we are talking about TV Choice? That is designed for specific reason, not to be bang up to date
ok so tell me a current series thats on demand and in front of the linear broadcast.
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2011, 13:31   #47
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Sky's over hyped under performing channels are of no consequence to me, I have many ways and means of obtaining any program they carry on SA. I have no intention of getting worked up over a channel that by next year will be as crap as sky one.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 04-02-2011, 13:34   #48
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
ok so tell me a current series thats on demand and in front of the linear broadcast.
Just because there isn't one now, doesn't mean there won't be
Old 04-02-2011, 13:34   #49
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Thats not what he said is it.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 04-02-2011, 13:35   #50
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Just because there isn't one now, doesn't mean there won't be
Agreed but cant see it happening anytime soon it hasnt in the US.
Old 04-02-2011, 13:36   #51
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Agreed but cant see it happening anytime soon it hasnt in the US.
Just wait
Old 04-02-2011, 13:39   #52
WillPS
Inactive

Services: VM XXL Broadband, XL TV with V+ and L Phone
WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them

I appreciate VM are moving forward with an On Demand idea however their rights packages simply aren't enough to compete with a linear TV station + DTR yet. I am absolutely certain this is not entirely their fault but if distributors wont let stuff go On Demand before it gets on Sky Atlantic then VM need Sky Atlantic!

Take the LOST example - when we lost Sky One in the far-gone wilderness of 2007, Virgin Media "struck back" by telling its customers they too would have LOST, on demand, without adverts. Excellent... except it was on a 1 year delay.

Well that's no bloody good then is it?!

I'm sure this wont be the case forever, but for whatever boring behind-the-scenes reason, On Demand content is not up to competing with linear TV yet.

Most importantly - idiot Joe Bloggs in the street will choose between Sky and VM based on what 'telly' they can get. On Demand is hardly even on Joe Bloggs' horizon yet.
Old 04-02-2011, 13:42   #53
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Just wait
Personally DF i hope your right however I cant see this scenario ever panning out.
Old 04-02-2011, 13:43   #54
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
I appreciate VM are moving forward with an On Demand idea however their rights packages simply aren't enough to compete with a linear TV station + DTR yet. I am absolutely certain this is not entirely their fault but if distributors wont let stuff go On Demand before it gets on Sky Atlantic then VM need Sky Atlantic!

Take the LOST example - when we lost Sky One in the far-gone wilderness of 2007, Virgin Media "struck back" by telling its customers they too would have LOST, on demand, without adverts. Excellent... except it was on a 1 year delay.

Well that's no bloody good then is it?!

I'm sure this wont be the case forever, but for whatever boring behind-the-scenes reason, On Demand content is not up to competing with linear TV yet.

Most importantly - idiot Joe Bloggs in the street will choose between Sky and VM based on what 'telly' they can get. On Demand is hardly even on Joe Bloggs' horizon yet.
VM doesn't need Sky Atlantic, Sky want you to think you need it on VM. They are doing their usual tricks of saying "VM won't pay our reasonable offer"

All indicators show that more and more people are timeshifting their TV. I know I don't watch anything, apart from news live anymore. it's either TiVo'd or On Demand.
Old 04-02-2011, 13:44   #55
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

On demand makes me get XL TV from Virgin, it is more of an up-seller I think.
Old 04-02-2011, 13:49   #56
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Ok so you can see a time when lets say Hawaii Five O is put on the On Demand before its shown on linear TV ?
Old 04-02-2011, 13:52   #57
WillPS
Inactive

WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
VM doesn't need Sky Atlantic, Sky want you to think you need it on VM. They are doing their usual tricks of saying "VM won't pay our reasonable offer"

All indicators show that more and more people are timeshifting their TV. I know I don't watch anything, apart from news live anymore. it's either TiVo'd or On Demand.
Did you read my post? Only you haven't really responded to what I said about VM On Demand being unable to compete effectively with linear channels +DTRs.

For many Sky Atlantic is going to be an irresistable pull. My parents are included in this. They, like many others I suspect, aren't changing yet because they hope Sky Atlantic will make its way over. Dad's giving them until the new Football season or he'll take a bundle from Sky.

I'd argue that Sky probably would need Virgin in order to make the channel a success, but I think many VM customers are narked they don't have it.
Old 04-02-2011, 14:01   #58
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPS View Post
Did you read my post? Only you haven't really responded to what I said about VM On Demand being unable to compete effectively with linear channels +DTRs.

For many Sky Atlantic is going to be an irresistable pull. My parents are included in this. They, like many others I suspect, aren't changing yet because they hope Sky Atlantic will make its way over. Dad's giving them until the new Football season or he'll take a bundle from Sky.

I'd argue that Sky probably would need Virgin in order to make the channel a success, but I think many VM customers are narked they don't have it.
Yes, I did read your post. Have you not read my responces above?

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

Quote:
Ok so you can see a time when lets say Hawaii Five O is put on the On Demand before its shown on linear TV ?
Yes
Old 04-02-2011, 14:05   #59
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes, I did read your post. Have you not read my responces above?

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

Yes
We'll have to wait and see but cant see it myself , personally I think people see VoD as more of a tape recorder to catch it if they missed it or forgot to record it with there DVR.
Old 04-02-2011, 14:13   #60
WillPS
Inactive

Quote:
Yes, I did read your post. Have you not read my responces above? [COLOR="Silver"]
Yeah - you rejected my arguement that customers want Sky Atlantic based on 'indicators shoving people moving towards ondemands/tivo'. Well TiVo is only any good if there's a linear channel showing the content in the first place!!

As for On Demand, I repeat my argument that it's useless unless it can beat or at least match the delay between US broadcast and UK linear-channel broadcast. See my example re:LOST.
Closed Thread