Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Allotments

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Allotments

Old 24-03-2010, 21:39   #61
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Allotments

Mint and chives grow all on their own in our garden - in fact they need to be contained in pots or similar or they tend to take over. Garlic chives make a very nice addition to the ingredients list - the garlic flavour is very subtle so shouldn't put anyone off.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-03-2010, 10:36   #62
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Going up the allotment after dinner. 2nd earlies potatoes (International kidney 20 tubers) will be going in, we also have more black-currant, raspberry and strawberries to go in.

Squash/pumpkin seedlings are coming up in the trays (4 varieties sweet dumpling, butternut, rouge and jacko lanterns)

Have seperated out the tomato seedlings into 3 per pot to mature a little before going outside.

Gerkins, aubergine seedlings have just gone in a tray and some cheyene chilis in another.

Once the fruitcanes are planted it'll give me back my home troughs for planting some herbs in, I like to keep them at home instead of having herbs a couple of miles away that way I can use them as I cook.. Will probably stick to corriander, basil, parley, tarragon, dill though I will also plant some rosemary and thyme elsewhere in the garden at home.

When we took over the plot we found two rhubarbs at the top end just on the edge of the plot (we think they were cast offs after someone dug them up. We transplanted them in a better place and they are coming up beautifully with some nice red bulbous growths

The kiwi has suddenly come to life in my mother-in-laws greenhouse so that will soon be ready to plant up the allotment
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2010, 17:00   #63
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

We now have a total of 50 strawberry plants in the bed 12 unknown (ebay bare root special), 4 Christine, 4 Elsanta, 4 Honeye, 12 Maxim and 16 Sophie..

A load more Garlic got planted from the trays yesterday, some more raspberries (bring the living total upto 8 with the over wintered stuff seemingly totally dead (checked the roots on a few and the color of the stem, they do seem totally dead but wil leave them in situe till June which is the cut-off date)

We got the 2nd early spuds in (jersey royals aka international kidney) and another gooseberry (green to go with the already 2 red)

In the troughs at home I got in some corriander with some mustard greens and spicy oriental leaf either side to give some quick salad.

Next time we go I need to plant the two sweetcorn beds (jubilee and strawberry popcorn) also I need to get in the carrot, beetroot and parsnip seeds (the swede can wait till ater on in the year) also need to get in the purple sprouting broccilli and perpetual spinach.
Old 28-03-2010, 19:05   #64
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
We now have a total of 50 strawberry plants in the bed 12 unknown (ebay bare root special), 4 Christine, 4 Elsanta, 4 Honeye, 12 Maxim and 16 Sophie..

A load more Garlic got planted from the trays yesterday, some more raspberries (bring the living total upto 8 with the over wintered stuff seemingly totally dead (checked the roots on a few and the color of the stem, they do seem totally dead but wil leave them in situe till June which is the cut-off date)

We got the 2nd early spuds in (jersey royals aka international kidney) and another gooseberry (green to go with the already 2 red)

In the troughs at home I got in some corriander with some mustard greens and spicy oriental leaf either side to give some quick salad.

Next time we go I need to plant the two sweetcorn beds (jubilee and strawberry popcorn) also I need to get in the carrot, beetroot and parsnip seeds (the swede can wait till ater on in the year) also need to get in the purple sprouting broccilli and perpetual spinach.
Mmmmmmmm purple sprouting brocolli.
Old 28-03-2010, 20:09   #65
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Mmmmmmmm purple sprouting brocolli.
Problem is that it takes over a year to grow, any we put in this year won;t be ready till mid next..
Old 29-03-2010, 17:10   #66
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Going up the allotment after dinner. 2nd earlies potatoes (International kidney 20 tubers) will be going in, we also have more black-currant, raspberry and strawberries to go in.

Squash/pumpkin seedlings are coming up in the trays (4 varieties sweet dumpling, butternut, rouge and jacko lanterns)

Have seperated out the tomato seedlings into 3 per pot to mature a little before going outside.

Gerkins, aubergine seedlings have just gone in a tray and some cheyene chilis in another.

Once the fruitcanes are planted it'll give me back my home troughs for planting some herbs in, I like to keep them at home instead of having herbs a couple of miles away that way I can use them as I cook.. Will probably stick to corriander, basil, parley, tarragon, dill though I will also plant some rosemary and thyme elsewhere in the garden at home.

When we took over the plot we found two rhubarbs at the top end just on the edge of the plot (we think they were cast offs after someone dug them up. We transplanted them in a better place and they are coming up beautifully with some nice red bulbous growths

The kiwi has suddenly come to life in my mother-in-laws greenhouse so that will soon be ready to plant up the allotment

.......and where is this Garden of Eden exactly??

Just bought 6 more strawberry plants from Lidl for £2.99 - there are 4 varieties and they look very healthy indeed. That'll take us up to almost 20 plants for the summer... Yummy!
Old 29-03-2010, 17:15   #67
Kymmy
Inactive

Why? You thinking of a shopping trip armed with a pair of secateurs and a spade instead of cash??
Old 29-03-2010, 17:19   #68
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Why? You thinking of a shopping trip armed with a pair of secateurs and a spade instead of cash??

Old 29-03-2010, 17:19   #69
Kymmy
Inactive

OK, it's location is in Bedfordshire
Old 29-03-2010, 22:25   #70
Osem
Inactive

Do you deliver?
Old 29-03-2010, 22:26   #71
Kymmy
Inactive

Only to my own dinner table
Old 29-03-2010, 22:33   #72
Osem
Inactive

Drat! Foiled again.....

Well I hope you're going to post some pics of all your lovely produce here..... with plenty of prominent landmarks in the backround of course....
Old 29-03-2010, 22:42   #73
Kymmy
Inactive

Hmmm, As it's on to top of some hills so there's not many landmarks about..

Just for you though here's an ariel picture of it (was taken though early last year so before we got it. Our plot is where the yellow rectangle is)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allotment.jpg (77.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 29-03-2010, 22:44   #74
Osem
Inactive

Blimey that looks a fair size. Should be more than enough produce to go round...

Seriously, best of luck with that and please do post some pics as things develop!
Old 29-03-2010, 22:46   #75
Kymmy
Inactive

Yep will do and thanX