Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Allotments

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Loft Problem - Advice

Old 24-11-2016, 14:22   #1
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Cool Loft Problem - Advice

Hi Guys N Gals

Ok I am basically going to be boarding my loft, and I want to fit some retractable ladders, but a lot of them say they need a clearance arc of so much room.

My problem is in my loft (See Pics), There's a massive 4inch bearer spanning the width of the two purlins. I can only assume this is to stop the eaves sagging at the base. There's no structural reason for it being there apart from that.

I basically dont like it but i realise that its there for some purpose. If i cut the center of it out, 3ft, and put vertical bearers in, then strengthen the base, would this suffice as an alternative?

The property is a 1960s build. Loft is in very good condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loft (1).jpg (389.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Loft (2).jpg (464.5 KB, 31 views)
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2016, 15:00   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Loft Problem - Advice

Guy up the road did roughly what you suggest. The roof developed a dip in weeks. Expensive to put right with hydraulic jacks and a access hole cut through the roof.

The roofers opened another hatch for him to install the (prebought) ladder set in.

Be careful as some houses in that period used non-standard joist spacings that meant the T&G sheets you can buy won't fit without fitting noggings, etc.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 16:03   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Leave well alone. As Taf said, fixing any problems you might create will be fearsomely expensive. Unless you're competent as a builder/roofer (and clearly you're not), you should confine your DIY to the simplest projects, such as installing boards and ladders that don't impact on anything else in the loft at all.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 16:03   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

It might not look it but that is a major triangulation element in the roof structure. It's less common as most site constructed, as opposed to truss, roofs have twin struts to the centre where there is usually a supporting spine wall through the centre of the property. My roof has two sets of these and they support considerable load, you only have to tap them with a hammer to hear that.

I would get the advice of a structural engineer before interfering with it in any way.
Old 24-11-2016, 16:33   #5
Barewolf
Inactive

Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one

This is a replica of the loft and what i want to do...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loft Sketch 1.jpg (427.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg sKRTCH 3.jpg (583.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg sKETCH 2.jpg (853.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 24-11-2016, 16:47   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf View Post
This is a replica of the loft and what i want to do...
Which will effectively remove the structurly sound triangulation. You obvviously don't know what you are doing so as above, leave well alone.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 16:52   #7
Barewolf
Inactive

i dont know what im doing with lofts and roofs, but my dad said he cant see the point in it, and hes been a builder for most of his life.

it looks to me like its to stop the eaves sagging, but thats the only bearer in the loft, and what i suggested to do would easily hold any strain on the purlins surely
Old 24-11-2016, 17:06   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf View Post
i dont know what im doing with lofts and roofs, but my dad said he cant see the point in it, and hes been a builder for most of his life.

it looks to me like its to stop the eaves sagging, but thats the only bearer in the loft, and what i suggested to do would easily hold any strain on the purlins surely
And yet you're not sure. Even after speaking to your dad.

Seriously: don't. Not without consulting a structural engineer, and definitely not based on the encouragement you're trying to get off random strangers on the internet.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 17:35   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Our house, for example, has an inner wall of insulation blocks that are so flimsy you could push your finger into them. They are not designed to support weight at all. so the purlins do so. Supported at each end by the end walls, and along their length by purlin braces, either diagonals and/or across the width of the roof.

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

As heero_yuy said, you only have to tap them with a hammer to hear them "ping" as they are under a large load.

Collar ties often cross from purlin to purlin when the purlin braces are not diagonal but vertical.

In some loft conversions, the purlins are replaced by steel girders, a major expense of the job, but they allow the removal of ties and braces.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 18:06   #10
Barewolf
Inactive

Quote:
[/COLOR]As heero_yuy said, you only have to tap them with a hammer to hear them "ping" as they are under a large load.

Collar ties often cross from purlin to purlin when the purlin braces are not diagonal but vertical.

In some loft conversions, the purlins are replaced by steel girders, a major expense of the job, but they allow the removal of ties and braces.
Those purlin bracing is what i am proposing to do in my loft, they distribute any weight along the joists which is effectively what the joist is doing now in the center.

I find it odd there's only one 4x2 joist between the purlins. It doesn't appear to be doing anything significant that couldn't be worked around by distributing the weight down and across the joists, it would basically be the same and evenly distributed.

my Dad seems to thing they could have just put that there to hold the purlins in place while they cemented them in, he doesnt think its anything major.

I asked in the forum incase anyone is a structural engineer, or a builder, that could confirm my theory.
Old 24-11-2016, 18:09   #11
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

the best thing you have done is ask before blindly ripping timbers out ,i have seen so many disasters and repaired a few .Your roof type is not of the modern prefab type fetched on the back of lorries it is made on site by roofing joiners who did not waste time putting unnecessary timbers in ,every piece does a job .That particular timber is responsible for transferring the weight from the ridge through the supports shown in your other diagrams into the purlins.It would be an easy enough job to move the hatch ,is that not an option ?
Old 24-11-2016, 18:34   #12
Barewolf
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
the best thing you have done is ask before blindly ripping timbers out ,i have seen so many disasters and repaired a few .Your roof type is not of the modern prefab type fetched on the back of lorries it is made on site by roofing joiners who did not waste time putting unnecessary timbers in ,every piece does a job .That particular timber is responsible for transferring the weight from the ridge through the supports shown in your other diagrams into the purlins.It would be an easy enough job to move the hatch ,is that not an option ?

No room in the hall to move the hatch, and even if i did i would still have a beam running the width of the loft which you have to step over at waist height.

My neighbour is a gas engineer, hes popping round tomorrow and hes converted his loft, exact same layout, so i will ask him what he did.

Pretty sure though that 4 angled 3x2 from both purlins down to the joists would do the same job if not more than that single beam. But thats just me and common sense. i aint paying £300 for a structural engineer to take one look at it and say it serves no purpose.
Old 25-11-2016, 02:38   #13
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Thats your choice of course, but if you do cause expensive damage, chances are your house insurance will not cover it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 15:06   #14
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age
Bulky has reached the bronze age

You'll be fine just removing it and doing as you have drawn.
Old 25-11-2016, 15:36   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulky View Post
You'll be fine just removing it and doing as you have drawn.
Are you accepting liability along with your advice?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote