Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting virgin tv to tv’s in my lounge and bedroom.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V+ Box - what does it take it to set record remotely across the internet ?

Old 24-12-2008, 11:09   #1
RamJet
Inactive

RamJet will become famous soon enoughRamJet will become famous soon enoughRamJet will become famous soon enough
V+ Box - what does it take it to set record remotely across the internet ?

[think the Sky+ box can be controlled via an Intenet Logon]

with only 24 hour-window to set up record events on the V+ box this sounds like a needed feature

the V+ box is connected to the net and has it's own IP address

would have thought it a simple matter to re-prog the software so it would be possible to logon/edit remotely etc

any chance of this happening I wonder ?
RamJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-12-2008, 11:19   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: V+ Box - what does it take it to set record remotely across the internet ?

You can set recordings up to a week ahead on the V+, using the EPG (it runs for a longer period than on the standard V boxes), and even longer term if you use the series link function.

There is no internet / remote acess functionality to the V+ at present.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 11:30   #3
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamJet View Post
would have thought it a simple matter to re-prog the software so it would be possible to logon/edit remotely etc

any chance of this happening I wonder ?
I would imagine it's technically possible, but is a pretty hefty task. My best suggestion would be to connect the V+ output to a video capture card, although you'd have to write/find something to change to the correct channel, via an IR module. Not easy, sorry!
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 11:41   #4
The Daddy
Inactive

Services: V+, 20Mbit Internet and phone
The Daddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have done this in the past using my slingbox which I have connected to my V+. Of course you would need to buy a slingbox, but they are good bits of kit...

The Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 12:03   #5
hokkers999
cf.addict

hokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbandit View Post
I would imagine it's technically possible, but is a pretty hefty task. My best suggestion would be to connect the V+ output to a video capture card, although you'd have to write/find something to change to the correct channel, via an IR module. Not easy, sorry!
Back on my personal soapbox. Buy a TIVO!. Ok they are a bit long in the tooth age wise, but still function perfectly.

Upgraded mine to have ethernet card, web server, ftp server. I can login from anywhere and program it. I can also simply d/l recorded stuff to the pc with no problems.

Now if VM were to take the V+ box and reload it with Tivo s/w......

http://www.tivo.com/whatistivo/tivois/index.html

did I mention that in the S1 units available in the uk you can shove in a terabyte of storage space :-)
hokkers999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 12:28   #6
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokkers999 View Post
Back on my personal soapbox. Buy a TIVO!. Ok they are a bit long in the tooth age wise, but still function perfectly.

Upgraded mine to have ethernet card, web server, ftp server. I can login from anywhere and program it. I can also simply d/l recorded stuff to the pc with no problems.

Now if VM were to take the V+ box and reload it with Tivo s/w......

http://www.tivo.com/whatistivo/tivois/index.html

did I mention that in the S1 units available in the uk you can shove in a terabyte of storage space :-)
Didn't know they worked on VM cable...but yeah, good option
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 17:23   #7
djohnson32
Inactive

djohnson32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Connect the V+ to a Video capture card.
Install GBPVR. (PVR software)
Install XMLTV GUI (Alan Birtles) (EPG capture)
Install USB-UIRT (John Rhees)
Install IRCommand2 (WDPS Software)
Install Auto power on and Shutdown (lifsoft.com)

Now you have a fully automated PVR on your PC and can power the PC on and off at pre-set times.

Installing VNC software (Realvnc.co) allows you to access your computer from anywhere over the internet so you can setup forgotten recordings.

ps. this can also be done with a standard box because it uses the output and not the recording facility of the V+
djohnson32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 19:50   #8
djohnson32
Inactive

djohnson32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Additional Info

To record with the V+ remotely

Connect to your PC at home with VNC.
Run GBPVR "Live TV" (You wont be able to see live TV over the Internet, the page doesn't refresh fast enough).
Run IRCommand2 (Having previously set it up to emulate the V+ remote).
Use IRCommand2 like your V+ remote.
You will see the static pages (menu, epg, etc).
Click record to set up the V+ recording.
(Put V+ into Standby)
Close all programs.
Disconnect from PC.
djohnson32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 23:44   #9
PtolemyIV
cf.member

PtolemyIV is an unknown quantity at this point

I do the same using a USB-UIRT device (note - these take a little effort to get hold of, but ebay is suggested)

However instead of using GBPVR or XLTV, I just use VLC as the streaming device - this way I can stream the actual live TV - typically use H264 codec for video and MP3 for audio - with perfectly watchable quality.

I use a standard vbox but you could easily use a v+ to set recordings as well (NB: when viewing remotely expect a short lag of 1/2-1sec from pressing the virtual buttons and seeing the screen remotely update).

All-in it works well and my main purpose is to watch the sports channels when away from home... for recording remotely, not sure it will be as simple a solution as sky's (although have not tried this) - ideally, one could set recordings remotely via software such as digiguide - this can be done with a TF5800 freeview box but not virgin's.
PtolemyIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 00:28   #10
RamJet
Inactive

RamJet will become famous soon enoughRamJet will become famous soon enoughRamJet will become famous soon enough

but

I've been and checked out my Ex's Sky set up

she can Sky Logon from rg work - browse to eg the Cricket Highlights and Press a button called Record

The Question is - Please could VM provide the software programming to allow the same kind of service - can't cost all that much

there are several million of us subscribers who would benefit

Thanks to all for the technical advice - which all seem to need new hardware and/or software and some complex setup

would prefer just to press a Record button on a website as that seems easier
RamJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 00:44   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I know it something Virgin have looked at. Not sure why they haven't done anything with it yet.

Maybe the current EPG/STB platform is not capable
Old 03-01-2009, 14:13   #12
moroboshi
Inactive

moroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nice

There's even an iPhone app to program a Sky + box remotely now. As usual though, Virgin lag behind Sky when it comes to new tech, so I wouldn't expect them to offer anything similar in the near (or even distant) future.
moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 15:10   #13
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Not sure that is entirely fair. Virgin have had to deal with 3 different TV platforms, which all work slightly differently.

Sky have had one software code since the beginning of Sky Digital

Of course it is going to be easier to program for one platform than three
Old 03-01-2009, 16:18   #14
caph
cf.geek

caph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to all

I've got a Sony Location Free player. I don't just program my V+ over the internet, I watch it. Much better than some noddy remote record web page. You can also watch it on your phone if you want. Plus it works as a 54g access point (Slingbox take note!!!).
caph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 18:42   #15
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

I was going to say .. what about a SlingBox? Wouldn't that do the job?

Click Me!
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote