Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New BBC HD Channel.

Old 30-12-2008, 21:32   #1
Gadgie
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone, 10Meg Internet & TV & phone package.
Gadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Gadgie
New BBC HD Channel.

I asked this on another thread but I cant find it now?
Are existing Virgin Media V+ customers going to get this new BBC H/D Channel free, or do we have to pay for it?
We are limited as it is, with so few H/D channels, (compared to Sky) I just wondered?
Gadgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2008, 21:33   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New BBC H/D Channel.

What new BBC channel?

108 is currently BBC HD
Old 30-12-2008, 21:40   #3
demented
Inactive

Services: 4Mbs, V+, XLtv + premium channels.
demented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud of

The only planned channel launch BBC have had recently is BBC Alba. There are no known plans for a second BBC HD channel. The upper echelons of BBC HD are very resistant to the idea of a simulcast which puts the likelyhood at very low indeed for the forseeable future.

The only piece of known information to contradict the long held picture is that Ofcom decided very recently that they'd like a 4th HD channel on freeview from 2010. This could be an opportunity to change that.
demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 21:42   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgie View Post
I asked this on another thread but I cant find it now?
Are existing Virgin Media V+ customers going to get this new BBC H/D Channel free, or do we have to pay for it?
We are limited as it is, with so few H/D channels, (compared to Sky) I just wondered?
The BBC are not planning another HD channel AFAIK. What you may be getting confused with is that technically, the current HD channel was a trial up until last November.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 21:58   #5
Gadgie
Inactive

Gadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really nice

Ah! I never knew that Stuart, I must have picked it up wrong, as I saw an advert about it and I thought they were talking about the launch of a new H/D channel, thanks again.
Old 30-12-2008, 22:00   #6
demented
Inactive

demented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud of

It's not even at full yet. The previous head of BBC HD promised that they'd try and get upto the full 9hr slot by April 2009.
Old 30-12-2008, 22:10   #7
Gadgie
Inactive

So does that mean the present 108 BBC H/D will be coming off the listing then?
Old 30-12-2008, 22:12   #8
demented
Inactive

No. I am saying you will see a slow expansion of the "channel" to something more resembling a channel i.e. 9hrs. The ads are just about raising the very low level of awareness of BBC HD.
Old 30-12-2008, 22:28   #9
Gadgie
Inactive

So it sounds like nothing much is going to change in the immediate future then, despte all the hype?
Old 30-12-2008, 22:38   #10
demented
Inactive

9hrs is a lot better than the 4hrs weekdays it was earlier this year. I'd say there isn't any "hype" and the BBC don't promote their channel enough. If you look at viewing figures strictly come dancing might get 8,9, 10 million viewers. Now there are about half a mil v+ boxes (with however many unknown hdtvs attached properly) and over half a million sky HD boxes plus a few freesat hd ones. Why does Strictly (I don't watch it) only get about 50-100,000 viewers?
Old 31-12-2008, 11:30   #11
Facade
Inactive

Facade is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented View Post
I'd say there isn't any "hype" and the BBC don't promote their channel enough.
They certainly do if you are already watching it

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented View Post
Why does Strictly (I don't watch it) only get about 50-100,000 viewers?
I can think of a few reasons.

How did Wallace & Grommit do on Christmas Day?

The trouble with HD is there is so little on it, and rarely simulcasts, so you have to be pretty determined to watch it.

I've also had a HDTV for long enough to realise that if I sit on the settee, it doesn't matter if it is HD or SD (I can't see the aliasing), as long as the SD is a premium channel, with high enough bitrate to avoid pixellation.
Facade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 21:52   #12
Gadgie
Inactive

Re: New BBC HD Channel.

Aye! the difference with H/D is amazing, cant wait for them to increase the number of programs on it. I know what you mean about the pixellation though, I notice it a lot more if there is a fast scene with fire in it. The quality of the picture is better with Sky as well, I noticed that when I saw my mates TV recenlty.
Cheers, Smudger.
Old 03-01-2009, 13:19   #13
moroboshi
Inactive

moroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nice

It's surprising I think that the BBC avoid making some of their most popular programmes in HD, such as Top Gear. The recent Vietnamese special would have looked so much nicer in high-def.

Still, the output is *slowly* improving. Oceans was a recent highlight, as was Crooked House and Around the World in 20 Years. But, they still have a very long way to go.
moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 17:42   #14
demented
Inactive

I think we all know that BBC HD won't be taken seriously until what "everyone" wants to watch is on it i.e. Doctor Who, Top Gear and F1.

The content should improve once the 9hr promise is reached in April (if it is). I find it strange that both C4HD seem keen on making non-nature documentaries in HD (look at the new year) at the moment but so resistant to many other bigger viewership pullers.
Old 04-01-2009, 14:19   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

RTD has previously said he didn't do Doctor Who in HD so they could spend the money on effects instead.

Not sure what Stephen Moffat will do