Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 29-07-2017, 10:58   #616
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I've kept the broken plastic tab just in case I could find another fix. Is that the sort of stuff we used to use when making Airfix models I wonder? The trouble is there's so many types of plastic and it's hard to know what works on what. I have some really good superglue which works on most thongs but it wouldn't touch the plastic on the Vax.
this stuff makes the edges go soft for a minute or so then it welds and hardens

it's for those plastics than nothing sticks to

Last edited by papa smurf; 29-07-2017 at 11:08.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2017, 19:31   #617
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
this stuff makes the edges go soft for a minute or so then it welds and hardens

it's for those plastics than nothing sticks to
That's what the old Airfix glue did - like a weld more than a glue. Wonder if it's the same stuff. Probably worth getting a tube and experimenting.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 23:38   #618
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
That's what the old Airfix glue did - like a weld more than a glue. Wonder if it's the same stuff. Probably worth getting a tube and experimenting.
Polystyrene cement - believe it or not, polystyrene is what airfix models are made of, it's just the hard, not blown form of the plastic. And yes, it temporarily melts the polystyrene so you effectively weld the parts together.

It also smells great
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 15:00   #619
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Polystyrene cement - believe it or not, polystyrene is what airfix models are made of, it's just the hard, not blown form of the plastic. And yes, it temporarily melts the polystyrene so you effectively weld the parts together.

It also smells great
That's the stuff. Reminds me of the good old days when all sorts of potentially lethal chemicals were readily available...
Old 31-07-2017, 18:46   #620
Osem
Inactive

Fixed a broken zip on one of the wife's rucksacks by fitting a new slider. If ever we throw out an old bag or anorak we always remove the zip sliders for use on other items. Lost count of the times I've fixed stuff like that.
Old 02-08-2017, 14:16   #621
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Good advice on saving the slider/runner. Another tip if a zip stops zipping together is to squeeze the "tail" of the runner together with pliers as wear here often is the cause of a zip failing to knit.
Old 03-08-2017, 19:05   #622
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Good advice on saving the slider/runner. Another tip if a zip stops zipping together is to squeeze the "tail" of the runner together with pliers as wear here often is the cause of a zip failing to knit.
That's exactly what I did last night when Osem Jnr came home and his football jacket wouldn't zip up. It had got caught in some adjacent fabric as he did it up and had then been forced so the zip wouldn't knit together. Some pliers and silicone spray did the trick.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:12   #623
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Little digital bedside alarm clock: Came back from Cornwall yesterday and it was flashing, usually a result of a power blip but that usually hits the microwave as well. Tried to reset the clock but it wouldn't stop flashing so I turned it off.

Powered it up today and the display was a random set of segments and the internal alarm speaker was buzzing. A-Ha! I thought: Power supply.

Changed the main capacitor (100uF 16v) with a spare from my bits and bobs and voila! Fixed. Took the opportunity to treat the time/alarm setting buttons with some cleaner as they were also a bit dodgy. Old capacitor measured as no value on my test meter.

It's over 35 years old and this sort of fault is so common in small bits of old electronics. Electrolytic capacitors dry out with age and go open or low value.
Old 14-08-2017, 14:32   #624
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Another solar rock light: This one stopped turning off in daylight and the battery was run down. I guessed it would be the solar cell, prized it up and yes, one of the wires had corroded through as had the tail from the cell. When they made it they didn't put enough sealant on to cover all the connections.

Replaced with one of my upgrade cells (about 2.5 times output of the original) and sealed it back in place with a good dollup of clear silicon rubber sealant. A fresh high capacity AA (2500 mHr) battery in the charger and it can go out in a few hours.

There's only one left now of this type with 4 LEDs that hasn't had the upgraded cell fitted. Seeing as all the others eventually corroded through I guess its time will come.
Old 15-08-2017, 18:25   #625
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Magsafe power adapter for my Macbook Pro. Some tactical soldering and a bit of shrink wrap.

80 quid for a replacement? Not on my watch.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 16:35   #626
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Magsafe power adapter for my Macbook Pro. Some tactical soldering and a bit of shrink wrap.

80 quid for a replacement? Not on my watch.
A man after my own heart.

Anyway I'm declaring my trusty DAB radio as a fix officially as it's been working without a problem for a couple of days now.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...2#post35912862
Old 24-08-2017, 14:47   #627
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

One of the security bolts inside my front door failed with metal fatigue so just had to chisel it out from inside (it's a big, old solid wood one).

Time for a new one.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 16:08   #628
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Big golfing style umbrella: I though it was getting floppy. The wire loop that retains the spokes in a plastic moulding at the top had rusted through and the spokes had come loose. I undid the canopy to get to the top and with a carfully bent piece of locking wire secured the spokes back into the ring. I bent the ends of the locking wire at rightangles and slid the inner brass part of a chop block over the ends and used the two screws to secure the wire.

Re-fitted the canopy to the outer ends of the spokes. Good as new.
Old 31-08-2017, 17:10   #629
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Big golfing style umbrella: I though it was getting floppy. The wire loop that retains the spokes in a plastic moulding at the top had rusted through and the spokes had come loose. I undid the canopy to get to the top and with a carfully bent piece of locking wire secured the spokes back into the ring. I bent the ends of the locking wire at rightangles and slid the inner brass part of a chop block over the ends and used the two screws to secure the wire.

Re-fitted the canopy to the outer ends of the spokes. Good as new.
i recon you must be as tight as me good fix
Old 31-08-2017, 18:23   #630
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
i recon you must be as tight as me good fix
Thanks. I don't like throwing away things that for a few minutes work can be fixed. That's the way to end up at a food bank when the money runs out buying a new one.