Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Broadband still worth it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Broadband still worth it?

Old 21-08-2017, 11:10   #16
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Broadband still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
G.fast's major limitation is range. I have a pod on my cabinet and it's no use to me as I'm about 150m from the cabinet in a straight line but about 500m of cable.

As it uses higher frequencies than the current FTTC / VDSL services it attenuates away more quickly too. If you aren't getting full 80/20 on FTTC you aren't going to benefit from G.fast.
That's not strictly true. It's true if the G.fast pod is in the cab, but isn't the entire point of G.fast that they move that pod closer to the premises? In the same vein that your ADSL speed (based on distance to the exchange) was not indicative of your FTTC speed, as the distances are very different, with mostly winners but the occasional loser.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2017, 18:54   #17
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

Well those prices are good for you. For some reason I'm charged £55 odd for 200 Vivid Gamer & Phone. Now it is going up I'll be charged £58 odd. NO WAY for me. So I'll be downgrading. What is the best for me..100mb or 70mb..Was on 100mb before I upgraded on an 18 month contract. Fed Up with VM....Cheers.
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 19:05   #18
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

If you downgrade to 100Mbps, your upload will be only 6Mbps. Will that upload speed matter to you?
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 19:44   #19
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernob View Post
Well those prices are good for you. For some reason I'm charged £55 odd for 200 Vivid Gamer & Phone. Now it is going up I'll be charged £58 odd. NO WAY for me. So I'll be downgrading. What is the best for me..100mb or 70mb..Was on 100mb before I upgraded on an 18 month contract. Fed Up with VM....Cheers.
70Mb tier is only for those that were on 50 and got the free upgrade. You can't downgrade to that, only 100 IIRC.

There is a 50mb tier as a holding offer.
Old 22-08-2017, 20:01   #20
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
That's not strictly true. It's true if the G.fast pod is in the cab, but isn't the entire point of G.fast that they move that pod closer to the premises?
That was the point of G.fast, however BT are using it as a cabinet-based technology.

There are no plans to use deeper fibre in the network until at least 2020. BT can hit their >100Mb coverage targets and tick the boxes without spending the extra on fibre and power.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 20:03   #21
Cromulent
Inactive

Services: VIVID 350, Sky Q
Cromulent is on a distinguished roadCromulent is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately Virgin Media is the only broadband I can really get. We were with Sky broadband for a little bit but there is something broken with the wiring in the house and only the cable works properly.

That is the problem when you live in a house that is over 150 years old and hasn't the wiring done for decades.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 21:39   #22
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
That was the point of G.fast, however BT are using it as a cabinet-based technology.

There are no plans to use deeper fibre in the network until at least 2020. BT can hit their >100Mb coverage targets and tick the boxes without spending the extra on fibre and power.
It's still mainly in trials, isn't it?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 22:22   #23
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
It's still mainly in trials, isn't it?
It's in 'pilot' stage - early commercial deployment. A bunch of nodes will be released either next month or October.

They did actually test a variety of deployments, underground, on poles, fibre to the remote node, intercepting lines at a junction point, and fibre to the distribution point, fibre to the last point carrying multiple lines, but settled on deploying G.fast at the cabinet for cost and speed of deployment.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 19:49   #24
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

It does seem a bit odd to spend a load of money getting fibre to the cabinets, then spend a load more extending it only a few hundred feet to the poles. Hopefully they do the sensible thing after rolling g.fast out to the cabinets: start to plan FTTH proper.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 20:25   #25
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

My sky and by are both out of contract so I was considering a switch to virgin.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 10:30   #26
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
It does seem a bit odd to spend a load of money getting fibre to the cabinets, then spend a load more extending it only a few hundred feet to the poles. Hopefully they do the sensible thing after rolling g.fast out to the cabinets: start to plan FTTH proper.

It's often not just a few hundred feet. My parents have FTTC and the distance to the cabinet is 1000m, so fibre deeper into the network would help in situations like that.

As you say FTTH Is the better option for performance.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 11:59   #27
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Are you sure about the 1000m? The attenuation on coax would exceed limits and would destroy the higher frequencies.

Fibre deeper into the network (I.e. To the daisy-chained cabs or at least to the launch cab) would assist with noise reduction but not with the 1000m problem.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 12:50   #28
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

This was about VDSL & G.Fast technology and not VM.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 17:43   #29
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Ah OK. FTTC is a total bad value shambles in my view that only the desperate (those without access to VM) would need to subscribe to.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 19:12   #30
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Ah OK. FTTC is a total bad value shambles in my view that only the desperate (those without access to VM) would need to subscribe to.
Did you say that with a straight face? I would always choose a FTTC option over Virgin Media, simply because VM always has always had congestion and latency issues that plague it's customers. In fact, I would rather go with a 4G option than take choose VM again.Far from desperate or without access to VM. Funny stuff Seph!
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote