Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Awkward problem with extension :(

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Awkward problem with extension :(

Old 28-10-2011, 16:33   #1
TikkiRo
Inactive

TikkiRo is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Awkward problem with extension :(

Been a long time since I've had any problems whatsoever with my VM setup but recently ran into one with my phone line. First off I'm disabled & used to run a charity from my home until a few years ago. Because of that I have a number of phone lines entering my home but all were disconnected bar the main one I currently use. I now use both a wireless phone system and a wired one through a VM extension to my "office" on the 3rd floor. Hopefully that makes some sense thus far.

My problems started 2 wks ago when my phone line kept going dead intermittently. The 1st engineer dispatched didn't come to the house but phoned me from the exchange to say he'd done all he could do & the phone was working - I thought it was at the time, but within hours had the same problem, only this time it progressed to being completely dead for days until the 2nd engineer called yesterday and he did some work on my box etc which sorted the problem. Wonderful I thought only now I find that my vital wired extension is no longer functioning.

Further complications arise because the main line comes into the living room but is then routed through to the hall to the extension box (from where the cable has been internally wired to lead upstairs to the other extensions) & as there are so many wires in both locations it's a nightmare to figure out what's going where.

Anyway - after all that, I'm devastated to discover that VM want a whopping £50 to call out and investigate - for me, that's just more than I can feasibly afford. I presume there's not much way around it tho, or is there? Who else would I have to try and look to for help to fix it if I can bypass VM?
TikkiRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2011, 16:45   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Awkward problem with extension :(

It's supposed to be £99 for a new extension! You done well to only pay £50
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 16:52   #3
TikkiRo
Inactive

Hmm - always possible they'll charge me £50 for a callout and then add yet more on if it needs replacing. How on earth can they justify those sorts of charges
Old 28-10-2011, 17:02   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Seems to me that if the extension stopped working as a result of work carried out by VM they should put it right.
Old 28-10-2011, 17:49   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Unless they removed the extension as that was causing the fault
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 18:07   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I suppose so, but you'd expect the engineer to say so at the time?
Old 28-10-2011, 18:20   #7
TikkiRo
Inactive

My problem might come in proving that unfortunately & the girl on the phone was just fixated on the fact that it's an extension issue not a phone line one & wouldn't budge on the callout fee.
Old 28-10-2011, 19:16   #8
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkiRo View Post
My problem might come in proving that unfortunately & the girl on the phone was just fixated on the fact that it's an extension issue not a phone line one & wouldn't budge on the callout fee.
Frankly, I'd just call back and tell them that they buggered up your extension which was working before they visited and that you expect them to fix it.

It might just be enough to speak to another person.
Old 28-10-2011, 21:01   #9
TikkiRo
Inactive

Thanks guys gives me a little bit of hope - worth a try at least.
Old 29-10-2011, 13:45   #10
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Extensions aren't covered in the T&C's, if the extension was causing the fault, then the engineer should have told you.

If however he accidentally disconnected your extension, then VM should put it right.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 16:19   #11
TikkiRo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Extensions aren't covered in the T&C's, if the extension was causing the fault, then the engineer should have told you.
Is that the case even if it's "their" extension and obviously not one I've put in myself? This is a box belonging to the previous company that VM took over from. I'd assumed it would be covered regardless of any fault it may ever have.
Old 29-10-2011, 16:49   #12
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Is that the case even if it's "their" extension and obviously not one I've put in myself? This is a box belonging to the previous company that VM took over from. I'd assumed it would be covered regardless of any fault it may ever have.
No, if VM fit any extensions they are guaranteed for 12 months. The T&C's only cover the master socket.
Old 29-10-2011, 16:56   #13
TikkiRo
Inactive

Just phoned VM once again & more clearly outlined my case, and as you suggested, the guy said that the engineer had remarked that because the entire system is around 15 years old, the extension would require replacing & that isn't covered indeed, so have no choice but to shell out the £50 to get it done. Be 2 weeks to add further hassle, but no doubt that would be similar with any other provider and as some have suggested might cost more again.

I don't mean to sound resentful about having to pay - just that like many others who're on benefits, it's a lot to pay out in one month on top of my regular bill & coming up to Christmas.

But thank you to everyone's input for enabling me to at least have the right expectations.
Old 29-10-2011, 17:14   #14
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Just phoned VM once again & more clearly outlined my case, and as you suggested, the guy said that the engineer had remarked that because the entire system is around 15 years old, the extension would require replacing & that isn't covered indeed, so have no choice but to shell out the £50 to get it done. Be 2 weeks to add further hassle, but no doubt that would be similar with any other provider and as some have suggested might cost more again.

I don't mean to sound resentful about having to pay - just that like many others who're on benefits, it's a lot to pay out in one month on top of my regular bill & coming up to Christmas.

But thank you to everyone's input for enabling me to at least have the right expectations.
See if you can get any cheaper quotes from a telco installer in the local paper ? Might be worth it, but I think VM will probably be the cheapest
Old 29-10-2011, 17:22   #15
TikkiRo
Inactive

Ahhh - see that's what I was really wondering - whether it was possible to bypass them, although I've never seen any ads for such installers locally but have time at least now to ask about.